Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

question for the SS Fuel riders

forum for kitesurfers

Dan Glyaire
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000

question for the SS Fuel riders

Postby Dan Glyaire » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:32 pm

15m fuel, 6 foot surfboard, 180lb rider.
whats the low end wind range i could expect with this combo?

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like

Re: question for the SS Fuel riders

Postby Kevin Salter » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:37 pm

How do , I ride an 06 13mtr fuel on a 5ft 6" fish style surfboard and 10 knts I'm planning up wind and I weigh the same as you. So when others are struggling on wide TT on 12mtr bows I'm away.

Now if your surfboard is a narrow tailed board with alot of rocker in the middle of the board like alot of std surfboards are ,you won't get anymore bottom end out of it than a mid sized TT.

If you are looking for bottom end the right board will make more difference than a bigger kite.

I use my fuels on 23mtr lines which speeds them up alot, which I find gives me more bottom end.

I sold my 15 fuel cos I like the speed of the 13 for wave riding, but the 15 mtr gave me more bottom end again. Cheers :thumb:

seano
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby seano » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:42 pm

Hi, i'm 75kgs (you're 81kg) I ride only waves/surfboards, I use a 06 SS fuel 15m (24m lines) in 15-25kts
For me this kite goes well in the mid-range - I don't like it's big-kite slow turns in 10-12kts & it needs heaps of 5th line & is unneccesarily large in 20-25kts.

You might get more out of its mid to top end.... it's bottom end for you would be around 15-17kts

I think for riding surfboards a fast-flying, tight-turning kite that pulls hard when you loop or sine it is the one.... I am going to try the Airush Generators this summer, I'm tired of overpowered unhooked riding Fuels.

Dan Glyaire
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan Glyaire » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:21 am

thanks guys, interestin, i was hoping to use this as my lightwind setup...starting at 10-12 knot, soo, maybe yes, maybe no? hmmmm.
right now my big kite is an airush lift 16m, but its very slow, and tends to hindenberg in even the slightest lull. was hoping the slingshot 15m would be quite a bit quicker and still produce the power, but its pretty slow too? would love to get by with the 13m, just not convinced itd get me going in the marginal days.

had also been toying with getting a fish. maybe the fish and 13.

and by the way, seeing as youre both from NZ, any idea how the didymo is affecting visiting kiters to NZ. ive heard theyve been confiscating wetsuits and harnesses etc. and destroying them upon arriving. i was there a couple of years ago, had a great time...hoping to get back next nov.

cheers.

simonm
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1
Local Beach: Sahara
Favorite Beaches: Invercargill
Style: Mod
Gear: I always wanted a pony

Postby simonm » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:38 am

Kevin is right on the board front. Some surfboards with a bunch of rocker won't provide much help in light wind. With a decent board and a 15m Fuel, you could get going in 10-12 knots. However, the excitement factor will be very limited. There is not a lot you are going to do on a wave with a 15m Fuel and 10 knots of wind. I have an old 15 that I keep for really light days on flat water with a skim board or for doing a bit of wakestyle (the 15 is just an awsome truck of a kite). If you are set on Fuels, the 13 is more versatile, but still way too slow for my liking. I changed over to the Generator this year, and the largest kite I use for waves is 7.5m. I can get out in 12+knots and genuinely ride waves in light wind in any direction (unless the wind direction enables park and ride, the big fuels are just too slow). I also find that riding strapless also helps get the most out of light wind and lets you fly a smaller kite.

Dan Glyaire
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan Glyaire » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:19 am

of course a 7.5 in 12 knots sounds ideal, but i would really have to see it or try it to believe it. have you tried any of the larger generators? if so, how did they compare to the fuels speedwise?

agree about the strapless, usually always strapless if its below 15knots.

simonm
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1
Local Beach: Sahara
Favorite Beaches: Invercargill
Style: Mod
Gear: I always wanted a pony

Postby simonm » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:41 am

I never really thought the kite would work so well either. When I initially got the 7.5 I still thought I might need a bigger kite, but after 4 months on the thing I have come to the conclusion that anything bigger is completely unnecessary if you are looking to ride waves down the line. There are much better light wind options that will get you out in less wind for general freeriding, however none I have tried will be much assistance when trying to ride a wave down the line. 12ish knots seems to be about the limit and at least for me the 7.5 Generator works enough in that wind. One caveat being that 15 knots and up is obviously a lot more fun than trying to get everything out of 12 knots.

I can't really comment about the Generators in larger sizes, although size for size in the smaller kites, compared to the Fuel, they generate way more power through working the kite, have much smoother power delivery, are more reactive yet still more predictable than the Fuel. If I was into wakestyle only and wanted a kite that pulled like a truck, then the Fuel is THE kite. However, for the surf, the Generator is a long way ahead of the Fuel. Others may be able to comment here, but I could not imagine that if you already have the kite skills, or are prepared to work hard on your kite skills then you wouldn't want to go bigger than the 9.5 if you were looking for a pure wave riding option.

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like

Postby Kevin Salter » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:50 am

Dan, I took your post to being about getting going.
For sure down wind wave riding needs a faster kite, but in the light days upwind wave riding enables the kite to be parked, so if you have cross on to on shores and waves peeling upwind you can do well on big kites in 10 knots.

For me I preffer riding down the line in cross off shore which means the kite can be parked down the line and a 15 or 13 or 9mtr will all work in these conditions, but when the wind is just slightly onshore and your trying to ride downwind you definately need the 9mtr kite and 12 >15 knts to get it all happening, cos you have to go turn for turn with the kite and board at the same time.

Dan Glyaire
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan Glyaire » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:15 pm

Kevin, yeah, really i was just wondering if that 15m might get me going in 10knots, i realize a kite that big isnt ideal. but now that youve suggested perhaps that going to a fish and a 13 might get the same bottom end as the 15m and my surfboard, im thinking that may be the way to go. and the 13m maybe a bit more useful, and not quite as slow as a 15m.

of course id really like to try a generator too though.

thanks guys.

Return to “Kitesurfing”