Hansen Delta Quad 12sq-m

forum for kitesurfers

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Hansen Delta Quad 12sq-m

Postby Hansen Design » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:23 pm

Here are some pics of our latest R&D on a high PA% Delta planform. Modifications from the Duo include flatter center profile, quad struts and more profile in the shoulders. Land testing shows a very stable and powerful kite with good turning speed and de-power. We will have some water tests and video in the next day or so conditions permitting. We are very happy with this kite and the advantages the planform has to offer.
Attachments
QS-3.jpg
QS-3.jpg (24.5 KiB) Viewed 2064 times
QS-9.jpg
QS-9.jpg (19.23 KiB) Viewed 2063 times
QS-12.jpg
QS-12.jpg (16.76 KiB) Viewed 2060 times

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness

Re: Hansen Delta Quad 12sq-m

Postby WildDuke » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:43 am

Its a really good looking kite, I like it a lot!! I have a few questions though. First of all what is the advantage of a 4 spar kite over a 5? There will only be a minimal amount of weight a drag saved. Is there anything else that I am not aware of? Secondly, are those black lines on the leading edge battons? It is possible for you to crate a stiffer leading edge without them? I used to own a north rebel with battons and one of the reasons I sold it was that it was impossible to fold the kite down really small unless you take out the battons, which made setting up next time take forever!

Sorry, I dont mean to sound like a winge, but I have recently sold my kite and am having trouble choosing another one because I cant find one that has all the features that I need. I am looking to talented people like you to come up with things that other manufacturers arent doing.

Gigi;)
Frequent Poster

Postby Gigi;) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:36 am

No center strut - more power from center of the kite and less drag... IMO a little bit harder to control the shape on CE part...

IMO that black lines are battens to help maintain shape of the LE profile... meaning also less flutter on TE due to non changed LE part of profile. So, not a bad thing, but it may go w/o them also...

@Bill - can you explain differences between using more struts compared to previous kite? IMO tips should behave better now... shape is better... less tuning/compromises... ?

Right now friend is going with 3 struts only but on smaller sizes (up to 9m...)... THX!

John B
Medium Poster

Postby John B » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:11 pm

WildDuke -
About the Duo Center Struts:
Back some time ago, we did some back to back testing with the exact same 12m planform.
One kite had five struts which included a single center strut, the other a four strut (duo center strut).

They both handled pretty much the same in most cases….However the distinct difference was that the “duo strut” showed better upwind performance repeatedly.

The Duo Strut offers less drag in the center and keeps the overall weight of the kite a bit lighter. It makes sense when you consider the advantages

Actually I’m glad you brought this subject up about battens. We are being conservative at this point; meaning for this testing we have all the battens & pockets in place.

With that said; we have been pulling the battens out of the pockets and evaluating the profile shape to see where they can be reduced without affecting the shape. So far the kite performs with the battens removed between the T1 and T2 struts (between the red & black struts)

The three center battens may be reduced in length as well.

Regards,
John Bellacera

aeberl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby aeberl » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:25 pm

Which market segment do you think this type of kite is aimig at?
Freestyle/wakestyle, cuising/freeride, odlschool/jumping, beginners, waves?

John B
Medium Poster

Postby John B » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:09 pm

Aeberl –
So far, the kite has proven to be really user friendly. By that I mean it performs as an upwind machine, carries a lot of power (and de-power) and is very easy to get back out and off the water.

Cruising/free-ride and old/new-school jumping sound like a reasonable category. I feel it has huge potential in the racing market as well with a few minor tweaks.

Thanks,
John B
Attachments
QS-13.jpg
QS-13.jpg (20.19 KiB) Viewed 1341 times

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hansen Design » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:27 pm

gigi wrote:@Bill - can you explain differences between using more struts compared to previous kite? IMO tips should behave better now... shape is better... less tuning/compromises... ?
Gigi:
The Mono and Duo were very interesting kites but we found the wingtips and shoulders had to be kept flat to keep the canopy stable. The additional strut allows a more powerful profile in the kite's shoulder without distortion. It is an added complexity in build, cost and weight but the gains seem worth it. Probably not much of an issue in a smaller kite but a 12sq-m by today's standard is a fairly big kite and as anyone who builds kites knows, 12 is a fairly difficult size to get right because it must perform both in light and strong winds.

aeberl wrote:Which market segment do you think this type of kite is aimig at?
Freestyle/wakestyle, cuising/freeride, odlschool/jumping, beginners, waves?
aeberi:
I think the planform and PA% can be adjusted for any of those segments. Our 12 would most likely fit the racing/cruising/float-jumping genre. We felt the Mono in an 8.5 would make a great Wave kite. The Delta outline is pretty flexible to tuning and should have wide appeal since the relative sheeting distance is short compared to swept-tip Bows, the PA% can be very high and the bar pressure and turning seem reasonable. Also, the kites are very stable and water launch well.

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness

Postby WildDuke » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:04 am

John B wrote:Cruising/free-ride and old/new-school jumping sound like a reasonable category.

Sounds like my kinda category. Well, I was thinking about somehing else. Have you tries adding a bridle on the trailing edge of the kite to help it maitain its profile. I used to own a Naish Helix and I saw the advantages of having a straight leading edge, however I think all that effort was negated by the fact that it the TE ended up curved cause there was no support.

RAM air kites are set up that way, would a similat setup work for a LEI kie?

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hansen Design » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:46 am

WildDuke wrote:RAM air kites are set up that way, would a similar setup work for a LEI kie?
See the Genetrix Hydra thread. That kite has bridled struts.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2344690

Gigi;)
Frequent Poster

Postby Gigi;) » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:14 pm

well, there's another way to help locing struts... check on the pic here...

:bye:

WildDuke wrote:
John B wrote:Cruising/free-ride and old/new-school jumping sound like a reasonable category.

Sounds like my kinda category. Well, I was thinking about somehing else. Have you tries adding a bridle on the trailing edge of the kite to help it maitain its profile. I used to own a Naish Helix and I saw the advantages of having a straight leading edge, however I think all that effort was negated by the fact that it the TE ended up curved cause there was no support.

RAM air kites are set up that way, would a similat setup work for a LEI kie?

Return to “Kitesurfing”