Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kitesurfing Arm/Shoulder Injuries

forum for kitesurfers

GhostDog
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Charleston South Carolina, USA
Favorite Beaches: Station 28, Sullivan's Island South Carolina. Katama Bay and Cape Pogue, Martha's Vineyard.
Style: Freeride, FreeStyle, some wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Rise Venturi, 8,10, 12
Underground FLX 135 x 41
OR Mako Wide
Brand Affiliation: None

Kitesurfing Arm/Shoulder Injuries

Postby GhostDog » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:27 pm

I have been kiteboarding 6 years without issue but recently have had some shoulder tendinitis and 'arm stretch' injuries. Wondering if anyone else has experienced the same.

I believe that they started around when I started riding large (BOXER SLE 15) SLE kite. I never had issues with my C-Kites, even though I tend to rider very powered.

Anyone else have any 'arm stretch' type issues? Bicep very sore, inside of elbow on dominant arm very sore. Kind of like 'dead arm' that MLB pitchers can get after throwing too many innings.

fishy
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby fishy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:14 pm

i have had pain in the arms, usually if i havnt been out for a while or after an unusually long session, obviously this varies with different people.

the only advice i would give is to warm up thoroughly prior to going out. i know its tempting to rush out as soon as you can and i am guilty of doing it too, but it really is vital. have a pre-set routine which lasts at least 5 mins and should get you slightly sweating. you might feel like a bit of a knob doing it but it does really help. i sometimes even do a few press ups, they are great for conditioning and really get the blood pumping in the chest and arms.

make sure you do everything as well and on both sides ie calfs, ham strings, groin, hips, shoulders and neck. if you go from being static and standing around in a cold car park or whatever to suddenly blasting around on the water pulling huge airs it is very easy to strain or pull muscles, a quick warm down is of real benefit as well. :thumb:

TurcoLoco
Medium Poster

dead arm

Postby TurcoLoco » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:48 pm

Same happened to me. Dead arm, bursitis, and a small piece of cartilage broken.
That lead to an arthroscopy and 5 months without sailing.

It happened because of a bow kite with a heavy bar.

Today I sail C kites on the knot or a Hybrid, on waves or gusty, "Helix" 1:1 with heavy use of the stopper ball.

It helps to relax down one arm when you dont need bouth.
Practice sterring and sining with one arm...

GhostDog
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Charleston South Carolina, USA
Favorite Beaches: Station 28, Sullivan's Island South Carolina. Katama Bay and Cape Pogue, Martha's Vineyard.
Style: Freeride, FreeStyle, some wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Rise Venturi, 8,10, 12
Underground FLX 135 x 41
OR Mako Wide

arthroscopy

Postby GhostDog » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:13 pm

Yes, so I had shoulder tendinitis, just woke up one night and my shoulder was throbbing. I then made a sudden movement the next week (just pushing something out of the way behind me) and I think I tore my shoulder a bit, not too bad, I can do almost everything, lift over my head, etc. just if I reach back and twist or land on my arm hard I get pain. I'm not sure if I have a small muscle tear or bursitas or small cartilage tear. Did you end up getting an MRI? What are the symptoms of bursitas?

I think my problem is I ride with 1 arm too much :) Especially my right arm..

Interesting that it was the heavy bar pressure SLE kite that bothered you as well. Did you ride overpowered a lot (so your arm was fully extended).

Thing about the SLE is you tend not to use the stopper ball as much as on a c-kite, at least on the Boxer where the stopper /clicker ball doesn't hold.. I tried my friends OR rise and the stopper on that can be used effectively.

bob10
Frequent Poster

Postby bob10 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:26 pm

i have an injruy in my left shoulder which keeps coming up.
really annoying cos if i dangle at all from my left arm unhooked im in agony

McKite
Medium Poster

Postby McKite » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:56 pm

Ghost Dog,

I had a similar problem - switched to kite with less/no bar pressure, did some rehab, took some ibuprofen -> problem solved! (4 weeks later)

Riding bows overpowered can do this...1) The bar pressure is higher. 2) The more overpowered you are the further out you must hold the bar - and stretch your shoulder....

tweekster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tweekster » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:45 am

farking SLE's and pulley bars! i have the same problem, inside and out of both elbows, severe pain in my right shoulder. shoulder pain (confirmed via MRI) is result of partially torn rotater cuff and SLAP tear (superior labrum anterior posterior-basically torn cartillage). while only a 3 on a scale of 1-10 the pain is a SOB! even normal sleep becomes an issue because at nite everything tightens up, elbows and all. come morning i can barely reach up to wash my face. after i start to move around a bit it gets better, not much, but better to the point that i can function...and kite!

my doctor is an avid surfer/friend and recommended that, while he is ready to surgically fix it, i should wait until it gets worse seeing as either way i will be in dry dock for a couple of months. basically he said i have to decide how much pain i can tolerate before i have to quit for the rehab...that or quit doing whats aggrevating it all together...like thats going to happen, right?

rehab (strengthening and stretching) helps, but kiting everyday becomes a little counterproductive. :wink: :wink: its hard to rehab an injury when an hour after working with the PT the wind starts to blow!

KITEWHIPPED
Rare Poster

Postby KITEWHIPPED » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:38 am

I'm a doctor who has unfortunately had my fair share of bursitis/tendinitis when I was doing long-distance road biking. Perhaps my experience can be extrapolated to kiting. I tried "taking it easy" but still was doing the activity that aggravated the area. Ultimately, it was not until I stopped doing the sport for a little while and took motrin 3 times a day for a couple of weeks that the bursitis/tendinitis resolved and I was able to get back to the sport. More specifically related to kiteboarding, light bar pressure seems like the way to go. A stopper ball would also be a bonus since it takes tremendous pressure off the arms. Good luck.

Lost
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 3

Postby Lost » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:49 am

i dislocated my shoulder twice kiteboarding so i really cannot ride for a long time with a kite who has a lot of bar pressure.
I had a good and fast recovery but i try not to ride with my bar extended at max. I think also having a 20 minutes off the water when you feel that you are getting tired helps.

justsomekitingdude
Medium Poster

Postby justsomekitingdude » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:58 am

I got into kiting last year while working away from home for 6 months .... I started kiting after 2 weeks and would have averaged 4-5 days a week for the whole time due to living 50 M from huge shallow beach and staying with a kite-a-holic. (Now IKO acredited instructor) so I was spoilt :oops: but it was awesome .... Flew static about 10 days ..... landboarded for a month and then surfed the rest. I was already sporting various creaks and groans from 10 years of rock climbing so because I kited so much so quickly I tend to take a day or 3 to feel 'whole' again after a good kite now. Probably the worst 'new' joy has been in my wrists and thumbs ... the wrists tend to give every now and then when I load them up and my pinch grip in my thumbs is painful from time to time. I put it down to high bar pressue from my 9 and 12 Shockwaves and ..... well .... kite kite kite kite kite :D . I have now been riding a 14 Ripper on the lighter days and the low bar pressure definately makes a difference to the way I fell. But you just beat that feeling

Happy Days :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”