forum for kitesurfers

foggy UK
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Torch 4 5th line lengths???

Postby foggy UK » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:11 pm

Hi..

Can anyone tell me if there should be any tension on the fifth line of my 2008 Naish torches ???

I mean any significant tension over and above the tension in the Bungee.....

The reason for my question is that i have just changed over from double de-power to the standard chicken loop.......And they are different lengths......

Any help from someone who has a standard set up would be greatly appreciated....

Cheers Nik....... 8) 8)

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Torch 4 5th line lengths???

Postby JGTR » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:31 pm

I fly T3s, basicaly the same kite. Not sure about how much tension there should be on the 5th line. I usually have mine so that when the kite is fully powered up and I pull the 5th line there is a slight bit of slack in the bungee before the leading edge dips.

I made my DD bar into the standard 5th line bar, I just made sure that all the lines were the same length when the depower strap was fully out and the bar was pulled in approx 3cm from the chicken loop.

Jay

foggy UK
Medium Poster

Postby foggy UK » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:35 pm

Cheers Jay...

Im gona give that a go next time out and see how she flies....

Nik........ :jump:

foggy UK
Medium Poster

Postby foggy UK » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:51 pm

Any one else with any revalations ????? :jump:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:20 am

My experience is from the T3, and I usually liked having the 5th line pretty tight, but less so on the regular bar than on the DD. I think for the DD bar it has to be more acurate than on the regular bar since the whole point is that bushing the bar out will pull in the 5th line, and thus depower the kite.

The 5th line does provide some structural support for the kite, and too loose will of course affect how it flies...that said, I am guessing you know this already...

The bungee should be enough, I would not tighten it up more than that. Too tight and you will end up loosing some low end (I am guessing a little here), too loose and you will not get the depower by pushing out the DD bar.

I think I probably had a little slacker than fully stretched bungee...on mine you'd see a slightly loose 5th line while riding the kite..

a.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:21 am

btw...how does it fly? Compared to the T3?

a.

foggy UK
Medium Poster

Postby foggy UK » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:27 am

Cheers for that ....

Cant realy give a comparison against the T3 as i never flew one....

I came from waroos .... it took a while to get used to the torches ... and i nearly gave up with them...

but went to cape verde and it all of a sudden clicked .... and now i love them......

Got to get my jumps back on track as ive only ever used SLE kites before these.... and its a very different technique... which i havent mastered yet.... :oops:

Thanks for the reply tho.. 8)

Ludmil
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby Ludmil » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:43 am

Hi,
Maybe you should specify below or above the Y connection point ....
I removed the DD from the bar I mostly use and I think that the stopper ball at the Y point is set lower in accordance to keep the tension on DD sys.
Then I lenghtened it below the Y and shortened the 5th above it by tying additional knot.
All this I figured out due to excess tension left below the Y when removed wich made the CL to bend to one side because of it - quite visible when unhooked.

Maybe there`s better solution but my advice to you is: try to figure how the system works /very simple actually/ and try different settings.

There must be tension above the Y on both, below the Y on DD sys the tension is a must,on the standard shift -just to keep the 5th not to fly around...

Regards,
L.

Chuckster
Medium Poster

Postby Chuckster » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:35 am

Ludmill pretty much has it sorted, but im not sure about changing length ABOVE the Y - they're the same on DD and shift system i believe? so should be set to same knot (i was told to put it on second longest knot)

below the Y, the 5th line should have just a fraction of slack in it - so it doesnt warp the chicken loop when unhooking ...it is not meant to be load bearing.

Ive just had to take 5th line from a double depower and put it on shift system this weekend, and i found DD 5th line MUCH shorter than shift, so i kept bungy cord from shift system and then added DD from bungy down - so ive now go two bungy's :D i did need to adjust knot by the ball at chicken loop which left about 15cm of spare 5th line rope which i cut off. works perfect now - landed first switch mobe on first session out on new setting so something must be working :D
goodluck

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:40 am

I came from waroos .... it took a while to get used to the torches ... and i nearly gave up with them...

but went to cape verde and it all of a sudden clicked .... and now i love them......

Me too, had 9 & 13 Waroos and a 12M torch 3 - was gonna sell it as I didn't get on with it, went to Egypt and spent a week on it and came back loving it, now sold my Waroos and got Torch 3s :thumb:

Going back to the pount, I had a DD bar which I removed the DD system from. I set it up exactly the same as the standard shift bar and it works great - ie all lines the same length when the strap fully out and the bar is aprox 3 cm from the CL - make sure the stopper below the Y is sitting up against the Y with a slight bit of slack in the bungee

Return to “Kitesurfing”