Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

New Ozone Instinct Range 2008

Postby Toby » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:00 pm

Hi Everyone

Well all good things come to those that wait…….well that’s what my mum always told me!!!

Edge Sport _amp_ Light all 4 colours2 Phan Rang.jpg
Edge Sport _amp_ Light all 4 colours2 Phan Rang.jpg (79.13 KiB) Viewed 5038 times

The Instinct 2008 Range are shipping to our distributors and will be at your local Ozone stockist within the next weeks. I have just returned from the photoshoot in Vietnam, our home base for testing and production. David has done a superb job with the 2008 Instinct range with the three models stepped up a notch.

SPORT JUMP_DSC0009.jpg
SPORT JUMP_DSC0009.jpg (15.06 KiB) Viewed 3428 times

For more info check out David’s DESIGNER NOTES and Hugh’s CONTROL SYSTEM where they explain in detail the changes made to the 2008 range.

Morten from http://www.snowkitefilm.com fame was with us videoing the shoot in Nam so we expect his latest creations to be online our site by the end of the month……Morten loves editing!!!

David and Matt.jpg
David and Matt.jpg (45.76 KiB) Viewed 3426 times

Our thanks go to Anthony, Twan and Drew for making our 2 weeks in Vietnam extra special. If you are visiting Vietnam or want to have a top Kiting holiday make sure you contact them http://www.vietnamkitesurfingtours.com

Edge Sport _amp_ Light Phan Rang.jpg
Edge Sport _amp_ Light Phan Rang.jpg (77.76 KiB) Viewed 3422 times

It’s the finest Kitesurfing we have found in Vietnam to date and just a 2.5 hour minibus ride to their new location that they have pioneered called Phang Rang. It’s in a military area with zero tourism, the guys were actually locked up the 1st time they kited there but through sheer hard-work and commitment they have managed to open this area up to kiters in a controlled way. It’s a super cool experience in full style thanks to the guys.

TESC0006EDGE_amp_SPORT.jpg
TESC0006EDGE_amp_SPORT.jpg (123.28 KiB) Viewed 3413 times

It has super flat speed water in the lagoon, a left and right hander on the outer reef and a superb downwinder to finish the day off in style. Great for experts and beginners it’s a dream spot for sure and for those that thought Vietnam did not have real waves think again at Phang Rang.

Testteam 1.jpg
Testteam 1.jpg (85.29 KiB) Viewed 3407 times

More pics and video will be loaded up to the site the next days so keep checking the site
http://www.flyozone.com

We look forward to your feedback as our new beauties hit the beaches all over the World

Check out the new product pages of the Instinct Light II, Sport II and Edge II HERE

Cheers Matt

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1991
Local Beach: Lennox Head
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo, 9/14 Enduro, Zephyr V5, Axis 5'7" Kapua, 5'4" New Wave, Rakau 5'7" Patrol 1.48, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" Ride engine carbon elite, rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisBoarding

Re: New Ozone Instinct Range 2008

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:06 pm

Well I got to ride the 08 Sport2 11M yesterday for approx 3hrs, one word - awesome!
Wind was about 18-20 when I left the beach to head over to a secluded spot away from the craziness that is part of my local spot on a weekend.

Over where I was testing the kite the wind was a bit stronger and over the day it continued to build, when I came in it was solidly over 30 knots in the gusts, averaging 25-30 IMO wind readings from a windmeter 6-7klms upwind.
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDN60901 ... 4767.shtml

At times the wind blew over 30 knots, but I was still comfortable and in control. I was riding my old slipper the faithful 1.32 07 FLX. With FL pro staps.pads

The kite goes upwind as good as or better than my other favourite 07/08 kites, being the SB3 10M, Waroo 11M 08, and the Rev 11M 08.
It easily jumps as high or higher than any of those kites, and is easy to redirect in the air, and was nailing most of my landings even at the start, I immediately felt at home on the kite.
(edit) I just had to add that the float/hangtime/glidetime, for this kite is awesome much better than last years Sport, the Edge must be incredible!
Rear line tension, in real wind is solid, feedback is good and you always know where the kite is without looking.
I set the bar to be powered/comfy for me in the middle of the depower line. I noticed that the canopy looked super smooth when the bar was pulled all the way in, the small but noticeable creases at the tips of the kite disappear when the kite is loaded.
looked like the canopy was purpose designed like that, giving a fuller profile curve at full power or optimal AOA.

Anyway I just really enjoyed riding this kite, depower is excellent the kite has a large wind range and I dd not adjust the trim at all over the course of the test.
Easy to steer one handed, I could switch to toeside and turn the kite backl from low in the window and carve really fast powewer turns just using one hand.
A couple of times I got out of shape and just let go of the bar, power from the kite drops 70-80% and the kite flys or hovers for enough time to allow me to get sorted or land and then just grab the depower line to get the bar back, just like I do on the other kites I mentioned.
Relaunch is dead easy, point the bar, self launch is easy too, using the usual /bow/hybrid pivot on a tip method (tested that on a sand bar, by myself) and self landed using the leash to flag to one front line after letting the kite rest on the sand bar. It just fell flat and sat there on the wet sand.

Another mate who was in another area of the bay tested the Edge 11M, hopefully he will make a review soon too.
Wind is up again, so I'm eating my breakky and heading out for some more!!!

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

Felix KF
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Felix KF » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:30 am

2008 11M OZONE INSTINCT EDGE 2

After a long wait, I was finally able to fly the 2008 11m Instinct Edge yesterday at Kurnell with a few other people. You can see my review of the 07 which was the first time I’d flown an Ozone at:

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/topi ... C_ID=30662

The following is a comparison (so far) of my experience with the 08 yesterday and the 07 which I’ve been flying (and love) for about 4 months now.

APPEARANCE: Build quality is the same high standard. The most noticeable differences to look at are the very narrow struts and leading edge, one pump tubes, an extra line on the 5th bridle and the wider wing tips. I also noticed two knots at the end of the 5th bridle attachment point.

PERFORMANCE: I flew this kite for less than an hour and will be able to add/confirm detail to this review later. But so far….. very similar to the 07 in most respects, just improved substantially in all areas. On pumping with One-Pump.. very easy with just a clip off of each strut. I’ve never enjoyed packing up One-pumps because of the residual air in the bladders. I’m happy to say that the pack up time and effort was absolutely no different to my 07. Although narrow, the struts seemed amply rigid with my normal pressure in the leading edge (not sure how much that is). I can’t comment on “cold water softening” as I did not put the kite in the water and have never experienced this softening effect previously.

The kite not only turned faster than the 07 but seemed to do so much better at low speed as well. Power through the turns is more smoothly delivered across the window, particularly in loops. The 08 is much faster across the wind window. I’m no expert, but I think the thinner LE makes the kite faster through the air in general. The wind increased from 15-27 knots during the day. No one was overpowered at any stage so I’m suspecting it’s high end is quite good. I can’t comment on the absolute low end as the wind was never really lighter than 15 or so knots. Jumping was typical Edge stuff…. high and long hang time. It felt a little better to jump than the 07. I think with a few more hours on the water to get the extra speed of the 08 dialed in, I’ll be able to say that the jumping is substantially better. Bar pressure seemed a little higher than the 07 which some think was too light anyway. The depower stroke at the bar seems longer also and the kite seems to shut down a little more than the 07. I don’t mind some residual pull in the kite personally, so this effect was neither here nor there for me.

I haven’t really found any negatives with this kite yet but will post them if I do. I believe that genuine feed back is a great way to improve our sport.

We have some good winds forecast this week which will give me more time on the 08 11 Edge. I’ll post any new info or changes to the above review as it comes to light.

Hope this was of some help.

Cheers,

IAN

bern dogg
Medium Poster

Postby bern dogg » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:31 pm

hi ian,
thanks for the feedback.
cant possibly decide whether to have my biggest kite 13m to be sport or the edge.
will really appreciate if you can advice if the edge excel wakestyle unhooked powered moves??
regards

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:17 pm

Felix KF wrote:2008 11M OZONE INSTINCT EDGE 2

-so much better at low speed as well
-Bar pressure seemed a little higher .
-The depower seems to shut down a little more .
Cheers,

IAN

Sounds like heaven to me ..... three mayor aspects i did not like about the 07 Edges " out of the bag " ( beside of the bar which is known that it has been totally overhauled ) .

Can´t wait to try them head to head against my " tuned " Edges and find out how better the new ones are ...... or not ? on the time been it sounds like they are pretty much the same in terms of performance ( which is in my point of view already excellent !!!)

Wonder when Ian Hannay will be able to head down to Tarifa ? i need a new 9m pronto .....
Saludos

Felix KF
Rare Poster

Postby Felix KF » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:18 pm

Hi Bern Dogg,

I have seen people go unhooked on the Edges but the guys around here seem to love the Sports for wake-style/unhooked. I've only flown Sports a few times myself and am only just starting to go unhooked so my personal opinion probably isn't qualified. The Sports are actually designed as the wake-style/unhooked kite of the range. The Edge is intended to be the high aspect, high jumping, long hang kite for Ozone(and that I can verify). If I were looking for a kite for unhooked/wake-style, I would definitely go for the Sport over the Edge.

Little Kitesurfer
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Mar Menor
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque - Murcia
Tarifa

Postby Little Kitesurfer » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:45 pm

Hannay
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Hannay » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:00 am

panchito wrote:
Felix KF wrote:2008 11M OZONE INSTINCT EDGE 2

-so much better at low speed as well
-Bar pressure seemed a little higher .
-The depower seems to shut down a little more .
Cheers,

IAN

Sounds like heaven to me ..... three mayor aspects i did not like about the 07 Edges " out of the bag " ( beside of the bar which is known that it has been totally overhauled ) .

Can´t wait to try them head to head against my " tuned " Edges and find out how better the new ones are ...... or not ? on the time been it sounds like they are pretty much the same in terms of performance ( which is in my point of view already excellent !!!)

Wonder when Ian Hannay will be able to head down to Tarifa ? i need a new 9m pronto .....
Saludos

Panchito, I just got a few kites through the door on Friday, 11 Edge 11 Sport 9 Sport and 12 Light, as soon as I get a few more I will be heading out on the road as every year touting them round the Spanish beaches... Cant wait...

See you down there.

From the very little time I had on the 08 Edge 11m on Friday afternoon it feels a lot faster and gets going sooner than the 07. Made me smile anyway. I couldnt really test the depower on the edge, the winds were really poor but the depower on the Light and sport has improved no end. :thumb: The Light 12m just turns off, awesome.

See you por la playa, Iain

Felix KF
Rare Poster

Postby Felix KF » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:06 pm

Hi All,

Got a second session on the 2008 Edge 11 yesterday in a solid 25 knots. I pumped up my 07 11 Edge as well and changed back and forth between the 07 and 08 models quite a few times so I could get a good back to back comparison.

I can confirm my previous review of the 08 model. The 07 is still a great kite. For 08, it seems they've just refined, tweaked and improved most of the flying characteristics. A logical progression... everything is just quite a bit better. Also, crashed the kite a couple of times (lets keep that our little secret) and the 08 seems to roll over and re-launch really easily.

* Turns a bit faster and much smoother.
* Has a longer depower throw at the bar.
* Power shuts down more when the bar is all the way out.
* Quite a bit faster through the window.
* Feels like it jumps and hangs even better.
* Super quick to pump up.

In short, I really liked the kite and saw some other people using it getting some massive jumps yesterday. I'm not one to generally upgrade kites every year but would really like to get the 08 when my piggy bank will allow it.

PS: Still haven't tried it in really light conditions for the low end but will post when I do.

Cheers,

IAN

johnnybeach
Rare Poster

Postby johnnybeach » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:11 am

Hi Guys,

Just got some Edge's 13m and 11m and Sport's 13M 2008!!

Will test them this weekend on snow!!

What's the pressure???

I went to 9 psi, is it find?

I read 10.5psi!!! is it true

Thanks

J

Return to “Kitesurfing”