Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Wave Riding Photos - Jupiter Kite Invasion

Postby RickI » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:22 pm

Just pulled a batch out of the cooker highlighting this great wave contest. Still more photos and video to come. For now, check out HERE

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Wave Riding Photos - Jupiter Kite Invasion

Postby RickI » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:50 pm

Wow, not so long ago something like this would get a few thousand hits. Today, not much at all, 5-10%, less? Doesn't really seem to be worth the effort of shooting, editing and uploading this stuff with so little interest out there. Just brought one up from a while back with over 6000 hits*, what has changed? Input?

* viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11031" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

justsomekitingdude
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby justsomekitingdude » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:59 pm

Hey Rick ... Probably cause you didn't title the thread " Jupiter kite invasion - SEXY photos "

Great shots though .... and a big job to sort/re-size and post ... so WELL done mate.
Maybe this years hit count will be quality .... not quantity ... you know what I mean .........................

I'm lookin :naughty:

Happy Days

FreakDogVegas
Rare Poster
Local Beach: S.I.X. mile
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Freak Dog o' course
Brand Affiliation: Freak Dog and EH kites

Postby FreakDogVegas » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:28 pm

RickI wrote:Wow, not so long ago something like this would get a few thousand hits. Today, not much at all, 5-10%, less? Doesn't really seem to be worth the effort of shooting, editing and uploading this stuff with so little interest out there. Just brought one up from a while back with over 6000 hits*, what has changed? Input?

* viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11031" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mabey theres plenty of wind today. They're all too busy kiting to get on the forums. :thumb:
Hopefully someone is having fun while I'm stuck at work... :desperado:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:35 am

Great photos - but just a bit "off" from the topic title IMO - as it does not look like wave riding photos to me, but freestyle almost all of them 8)

I think the reason why it does not get many "hits" is the "Jupiter Kite Invasion" name, which we dont know "what is" here overseas :wink:

Although, the "Wave Riding Photos" sentence itself usually gives lots of hits - true :D

We had an awesome wave session here in DK today, so been "busy" in the best way possible :thumb:

Kindly, Peter Frank

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:06 am

Thanks for the input guys. Still, even write ups of past years of the Jupiter Kiteboarding Invasion had more interest with thousands of hits as a rule. This is the FIFTH year of such articles. The waves came in better on Sunday than Friday which was more of a free riding session Peter. There was more wave riding during the big kite loop competition on Sunday. I mixed shots from both days into this first article. Glad you are getting some good wave time in and at your high latitude in the dead of winter, you folks are hardcore!

You might want to look in on the one from 2005. We had large waves by local standards, double head high, perhaps higher at points. Thumbnails appear at:
viewtopic.php?f=131&t=2312591" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And full sized images of all the past years HERE

Maybe the days of interest in these sort of articles is past? Need to know, takes a lot of effort to shoot and photoshop this stuff. If folks are interested it's worth it, if not, there are always other projects to dive into.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:58 am

Great pics! Where's Jupiter? (yeah, yeah, I know.... its out there next to Saturn...)

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:24 am

There probably is a Saturn dealership there somewhere. This one is near Palm Beach, Florida! Haven't been immune to the planetary tie in though. Would like to do one of these at Pluto but the waves are all frozen and it's kind of dark.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:39 am

Some feedback for you RickI

I did not look origionally because I had seen photos from Jupiter before and it did not look like a great wave spot and Florida has no reputation for waves.
It was photos, not a video, so I would not be so likely to learn something from it.
It was getting very few hits.

The photo quality is good, but the waves and waveriding are not as good as we have begun to get used to.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:59 pm

Thanks for your input Ronnie. Wave riding is relative to be sure. It seems like there are always better spots elsewhere in the world. Still, considering all that coast sheltered by the Bahamas, Cuba, Florida Reef Tract and Gulf of Mexico shelf run out, the waves in Jupiter and points north can be surprisingly good, for South Florida. Just 50 miles to the south starts hundreds of square miles of sheltered flat water. It can be a nice contrast.

Also, just because a post doesn't include a video, I wouldn't assume there isn't anything to be learned in it. Still, your comment does have me continuing to question taking all the time to shoot and write these things up. Just a couple of years ago there was more interest it seems.

Btw, I am working on a photo trip report right now on a very nice riding area, within an hour of Florida, launch is a short walk from the air strip, tons of warm butter conditions and may even be waves at some times of the year. Near as I can tell, it hasn't been described before for kiting in any form of media. I may actually embed a video clip in the normal photo/text write up but that is a new development for me.

Return to “Kitesurfing”