RRD quality - warranty issues

Forum for kitesurfers
timstijntjes
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

RRD quality - warranty issues

Postby timstijntjes » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:29 pm

Curious on what you think of this.

I bought a RRD Hypertype 2007 7m2 NEW at Mario -Bluewind - Cumbuco - Brasil. Great kite, fast and powerfull. Unfortunately I have had some problems in the first weeks, like stretched lines, some holes in the sail and a broken chickenloop/powercord. All nicely replaced by Mario. But that is not all...

The kite is singlepump and has tubes that you can close with a hardplastic clamp. This seems to be a problem. The clamp is not protected and can easilly hit the sail in a crash. This is what happened to me in moderate wind, just enough wind to fly the 7m2. The kite crashed, the clamps hit the sail and the sail was ripped on four places, two of them complete from leading edge to end, the other two "just" 40 centimeters. See pics.

I checked the kite and had some other people look at the kite, it is clear that the hard plastic clamps are the cause of the kite ripping apart, because they hit the sail and have now protection (like neoprene). I would say, on a two months old kite, this type of design mistake, should be covered under warranty. i.e. I give my ripped kite back and receive a new one. with protected clamps.

But NO, after contacting support of RRD, RRD says its a rider issue and can, at best, offer me 50% discount on the full price of a new kite. Sorry does not work for me, they just lost a customer.

Any other experiences like this???

The pictures speak for themselves.
Attachments
IMG_1332.jpg
IMG_1332.jpg (54.22 KiB) Viewed 2594 times
IMG_1334.jpg
IMG_1334.jpg (45.85 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
IMG_1337.jpg
IMG_1337.jpg (56.9 KiB) Viewed 2598 times

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:33 pm

I have noticed neoprene covers now featured up on most new kites with one pump clips.

That said, I've been flying 3 generations of Slingshot one pumps (unprotected clips) and have never had this issue. Perhaps this is an issue with certain canopy designs or materials (hose placement, etc, could come into play)?!?

Good luck. Either way looks like a company should help you out with this.

Skyway Scott
Been thanked: 0

Postby Skyway Scott » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:39 pm

Rider issue? Does that mean kites can't be crashed anymore?
You crashed the kite in the water, not into a locomotive, right? :roll:
I have the 15m Hyper and love it. I put at least 400 hours on it and it finally died (bridle broke, wrapped kite up and tore it)

I hope you get a replacement. That statement and response is strongly factoring in a decision I am about to make about pursuing the HT2.
After hearing this, I am pretty gun shy.

Let us know what happens.
Last edited by Skyway Scott on Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

doublerumandcoke
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby doublerumandcoke » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:39 pm

Looks to me like a design fault if the clip pokes through the canopy. These sort of issues are hard to get a warranty on as no company wants to admit they screwed up.
Can you move the clip to a position where it doesn't so easily come into contact with the canopy.

Shame as the pink looks real nice! :P

Good luck

timstijntjes
Rare Poster

Postby timstijntjes » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:56 pm

@toddjb123: I checked out the SS as well, there the hoses go much more straight from leading edge to strud. With the RRD they make a strange angle, the hoses are too long, so there is too much that can happen, (go wrong..) That is exactly why I think it is a design issue.. and should be warrantied.

@doublerumandcoke: yeah, when the kite is fixed I will do that, or even remove the clips completely. A little risky maybe but better than this damage again. Even better would be to put neoprene socks around them but where to find those in Cumbuco.. :)

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:22 pm

in place of neoprene try using a section of a bicycle inner tube. Should have those in brasil I bet.

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sflinux » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:26 pm

Are the clips standard on all hypertypes? I worked on a friends 12M that had a bridle break and a rip on the leading edge. I don't remember the hyper having clips, but I could be wrong.
Why don't you just remove the clips?
Or how about retrofitting it and removing the one pump system. I don't own any kites with one pump and have never had a problem with the old system. I own type waves, type 7s, and and a type wave2.
I think you'll have more luck going through your dealer than through RRD directly to get a fix.
I'd recommend both timstijntjes and Skyway Scott to get your kite's repaired as both look/sound like simple repairs, and your kite should still perform as new.
BTW, my opinion is the bridle used by the hypers is too weak. The T9s & HT2s improved on this problem.

dwarf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby dwarf » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:54 pm

If constructed correctly (like slingshot) those clamps are not a problem at all and need not be protected which only add useless weight to the kite.

However!!!!! make sure the curved side of the clamps are always facing the canopy!!! This should be done at the manufacturer already. If not than imo you have a warranty claim.

If the clamps are upside down with the cornered side towards the canopy this sh*t may happen. It totally sucks man seeing your kite like that. :cry:
Last edited by dwarf on Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skyway Scott

Postby Skyway Scott » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:57 pm

I repaired my bridle about 3 times.
It was the last bridle failure that led to a canopy tear.
I got a ton of hours out of the kite, so I am not too upset.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:19 pm

interesting looking at the pics again, seems like the kite has wear patches on the canopy to prevent this problem, and the rip starts right at the edge of the patch. During use, the clip's not likely to slide if closed off...

Maybe the user should have been careful where the clip was located, on the other hand, if you are building a kite, reinforcements shoud be made that will do the job they are supposed to do. Like a bigger patch, or the neoprene sleeves...

At least now they are making sleeves around the clips....
Good luck!

Return to “Kitesurfing”