Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Fone Bandit, Flysurfer Sonic FR
Brand Affiliation: None

Kitsurfing in Hong Kong and around asia

Postby fun2kite » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:31 pm

Hey everybody,

I maybe moving to HK soon. Wanted to ask a few questions:

1. Where do kiteboarders who live in HK kite? I already know that winds are very light in HK itself and found a kiteshool there that maps 4 locations in HK itself.. But they talk about 16M+ kites.. Is it trully that BAD? http://www.kite2high.com/kitespots.htm

2. With that, where do local kiteboarders go? (I'm talking about weekend kiting) Are there places around HK that are kitable with good wind that are reachable as a weekend getaway?

3. I'd want to meet local kiteboarders before I get there to learn more about a local scene..

4. Also looking for good general info about asia pac rim kiting destinations.. Looks like I'll get to explore that part of the kiting world.. Is there a good writeup on kiting destinations, blogs on this area of the world?

Regards,

Dmitry.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Kitsurfing in Hong Kong and around asia

Postby sarc » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:26 am

Best destinations are Vietnam (search this forum), Taiwan (visit http://www.jasontsai.com, look around for the pictures), and Boracay in the Philippines.
Taiwan lots of wind and really polluted water (hint: I glow in the dark), Vietnam sounds super-nice and about same travel time from HK.

JC530
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Cabhinra Convert, Crazy Fly Raptor 138

Postby JC530 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:21 pm

Welcome to HK!

Not so worst in HK. I'm 67kg, kiting with a 12m kite and boards are 138x41 & 144x44. For a Sunday & heavy kiter, a 16m will be more proper.

more info here: http://kiteboarding4ever.blogspot.com/

Don't be so sad. As it only take 1.5 hrs flight travel to Taiwan, take another 1 hr bus travel to Chunan beach which will ensure yr fun in kiting -- 9m to 12m in summer, 6m to 9m in winter.

more details: http://www.spot.com.tw/

hope this helps!

fun2kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002

Postby fun2kite » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:09 pm

Thank you so much.. I'm starting to feel a bit better.. I went to your blogspot site and actually wrote you email.. Would love to join you on your downwinders once I get to HK..

sarc wrote:Best destinations are Vietnam (search this forum), Taiwan (visit http://www.jasontsai.com, look around for the pictures), and Boracay in the Philippines.
Taiwan lots of wind and really polluted water (hint: I glow in the dark), Vietnam sounds super-nice and about same travel time from HK.

JC530
Rare Poster

Postby JC530 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:19 pm

:P

Sorry for my misleading. In fact, the bolg belongs to my friend, but it's fine as the bolger is a nice guy too.

Happy kiting!

JChau
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Nobile, Brunotti, Crazyfly, Royal

Postby JChau » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:46 pm

Hi NanOman, welcome to HK!
There are heaps of dedicated windfans in HK, mostly windsurfers, but the no of kiteboarders has increased rapidly in these 2 yrs...HK is not that bad for kiteboarding, as said to U I used 6m kite for 3 times last yr, and lots of 9m! Today one guy 80kg used 7m this morning, and 12m afternoon... But I have to say the wind is not that frequent, average 1-2 days per week that u could kite (and somehow the wind usu come on Monday!?) And ~50% is light wind that u need a bigger kite+bigger board... as the beaches here are usu narrow, the problem will be too crowdy... that's HK! But cross the border to nearby China, there are some great spots too with much bigger beaches...

Sarc is right that MuiNe of Vietnam & Chunan of Taipei are great places nearby, had been few times in each spots, guaranteed wind....

JC530, are u Joe?

PS: I'm the owner of the blog, the other name is http://www.kitesurf4ever.com
Attachments
P1040912.jpg
"Kitebeach" of HK: Shiu Hau Wan
P1040813.jpg
6m day at Sha Ha Beach

fun2kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002

Postby fun2kite » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:53 pm

:-) It is OK.. Would you mind giving me your contact info as well? I want to meet local kiteboarders and just make new friends. I'll be looking to get out on the water as soon as I can, so having people to call and go together would be super.. my email: nan0man AT yahoo.com (note it is zero in the middle)

How long you've been kiteboarding? How often you can actually ride in HK? I"m 79kg, looks like I will not be able to ride even 12M in HK? Damn.. Larger kites are slow and not much fun..

You said there is only 1.5 hour flight to Taiwan.. ? That short? What is the total travel time including everything? How long are the lines in HK airport? How far in advance one has to get there before the flight?

How much are flights to Taiwan, Vietnam, Philippines ? And how long is each?

Are there late friday flights that one can catch after work? What about getting back.. Is there any red-eye flights (coming back very late at night. arriving to HK early in the morning? )
I'm trying to figure out if weekend trips.. (leave friday after work come back early monday morning) are possible?

Dmitry.

JC530 wrote::P

Sorry for my misleading. In fact, the bolg belongs to my friend, but it's fine as the bolger is a nice guy too.

Happy kiting!

sprockett
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Ruakaka Beach, One tree point,......
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Philippines
Gear: Nobile, Flexifoil, Sprockett Boards
Brand Affiliation: Sprockett Boards (owner)

Postby sprockett » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:19 pm

We went out on sunday, in Hong Kong and had about 15 kites on the water. ranging from 7m to 14m. 14 -19kts
I was on the 14m and was over powered most of the morning, dropped a little in the afternoon but I could have still done it on my 12m. I'm about the same weight as you.
Another good site in Hong Kong is
http://www.windfanshk.com/cgi-bin/forum ... forum=kite
Lines at HK airport are good no long que. they say 2 hrs before flight (but 1-1.5 is ok)
HK to Chunan Taiwan 4 hrs total from HK to the kite boarding centre.
Ive got a post on my website about Asia kite spots (not complete but a good guide)
http://sprockett.co.nz/Blog/?p=18

Hope it helps

Sprockett

JC530
Rare Poster

Postby JC530 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:32 pm

JC,

Beside me, who got the same initials as u in HK? Bro!

Hope u get well soon.

Happy kiting
JC

Return to “Kitesurfing”