All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Unfair County rules may kill watersports instruction on Maui
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:07 am 
Frequent Poster

Appears that they're messing with Maui again.

http://mauisurfreport.blogspot.com/

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Unfair County rules may kill watersports instruction on Maui
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:46 am 
Very Frequent Poster

What the hell is wrong with all those old ass people in the gov?
They have nothing better to do then try to screw with all people doing a sport they love, staying out of trouble, being healthy, enjoying life.
Hawaii has too many old farts with too much money and nothing to do except killing young athletes. If they could, they would sit on their porch in their rocking chair, drinking moonshine and shoot at people who have fun on the beach.

This is getting out of hand.
Who are those morons who come up with those proposals??

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:47 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Thats just silly...you'll just get a lot more smaller providers...and less quality control maybe?

It keeps on surprising me how politicians does not see the consequences of their actions..they are like 3 years olds that you have to keep watching otherwise they will do something stupid or dangerous...like this.

I am sure the intentions are great, and they are not of course being portrayed in the blog, but what are they thinking....again.

A.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:48 am 
Very Frequent Poster

BullsShit.com wrote:
\
Hawaii has too many old farts with too much money and nothing to do except killing young athletes. If they could, they would sit on their porch in their rocking chair, drinking moonshine and shoot at people who have fun on the beach.

ROTFL :lol: :lol: :lol:
a.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:55 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I recall hearing something a while back during some previous threatened ban, restriction or whatever in Maui County. I understand parking is limited and there is a fair amount of competition for those spaces between residents and customers of various group and paid instruction/activities. Residents were reportedly starting to complain about loss of ready access to parks. Hawaii has a remarkable law granting ready access to the ocean for residents. You can have a fairly posh oceanfront condo development but despite that they may have to have pay to construct and maintain public parking and access through their property to the ocean. There is a lot to compete, windsurfing, kayaking, surfing, kiteboarding, diving, etc. and only so many parks. I think they were considering some sort of a rollback then which may have been a year or two ago. If this is the operative concern, instructors probably had a heads up a while back and the option to come up with some countering solutions. Do you think this might be part of the current motivation? Wonder if it is too late to offer aggressive car pooling to pacify the County?

Last edited by RickI on Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:39 am 
Very Frequent Poster

RickI wrote:
I recall hearing something a while back during some previous threatened ban, restriction or whatever in Maui County. I understand parking is limited and there is a fair amount of competition for those spaces between residents and customers of various group and paid instruction/activities. Residents were reportedly starting to complain about loss of ready access to parks.

Well they used the same argument here in Kailua reminiscing of Kailua in the 40-ties when they could drive their car and park where ever. Point is no matter what they do, there are way more people here now. In addition, the same people complaining about parking also complained about large local families and tiehr kids BBQ in the beach park. They complained about people using the park for activities such as volleyball, soccer, throwing horse shoes, and too me what seemed like general fun things. Point to this is there is no way to satisfy someone short of removing everyone except them...I am guessing they would start complaining about their noisy growling bellies after a while...as they hunger for more baby meat.

Quote:
Hawaii has a remarkable law granting ready access to the ocean for residents. You can have a fairly posh oceanfront condo development but despite that they may have to have pay to construct and maintain public parking and access through their property to the ocean.

I don;t think residential properties maintain anything like that. Commercial yes, but it isn't really working properly as they keep on trying to breach the rules by limiting parking closing off beaches with rocks..etc. etc. There are things in the works to change this, and I really just hope it doesn't go the wrong way as Hawaii would not at all be the same without it.

Quote:
There is a lot to compete, windsurfing, kayaking, surfing, kiteboarding, etc. and only so many parks. I think they were considering some sort of a rollback then which may have been a year or two ago. If this is the operative concern, instructors probably had a heads up a while back and the option to come up with some countering solutions. Do you think this might be part of the current motivation? Wonder if it is too late to offer aggressive car pooling to pacify the County?

Whatever the motivation is, I really do not think the politicians suggesting these actions know how to think consequences and at least not think in scenarios. It is really numbing to see how little effort and pride some put into their jobs.
This will not limit the number of people coming to the beach park...and it will certainly not provide someone who goes to the beach once a year with a private parking stall at a specific beach park...but of course it would not surprise me if this was the motivation.

A.

[ 6 posts ]