[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Huguenot Park Management Plan
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:43 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

The new plan will discussed this week @ First Coast High School at
590 Duval Station Road
Jacksonville, Florida 32218

google it

Just to let everyone know there is a huge push to remove kiters from the park. It is fueled by the local Audubon , Nature Consevancy and the other eco groups. The threat is real. The plan will try to restrict kiting to very limited areas or bann it completely. They are still pushing the picture of a kiter with Red knots flying around in the back ground as evidence that we are a direct cause of this birds impending demise. I am sure other birds will be mentioned but that is the one they are hanging thier hopes on. The issue of safety will be used for leverage and pushed hard by these groups as well. There is a political force that wants to use us as a bartering chip. Dont miss this meeting. It will be 7 PM at the high school. From 95 NB take the 9A exit toward Blount Island. Exit at Pulaski Rdand turn left. continue on Pulaski Rd until it turns into Sterret Rd. The high school is on the corner of Sterret Rd and Duval Station Rd. The meeting will be in the audutorium.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Huguenot Park Management Plan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:02 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Regards,

That's a damn shame...seems Florida has had it up to here with the stoke.

I don't know what red knots are, but I'm sure the issue is about scaring any or all birds in general

in other words, the real problem is that you want to use the bird's habitat too bust some phat air...

I shoot wildlife photography as a no wind recreation and have occasion to interact with birders...

these guys are Doctors, lawyers, professional folk of means... ( your average low ball birding set up cost maybe 8000 bucks.)

They are respected citizens, not shaka-bras with emo hair cuts, butt cracks decorating the windows of their sandy--rusted out vans.

My guess is you haven't a chance talking safety as a hedge against being there...

You're there, they don't like it, safety has nothing to do with it.

you need your own spot, took a while but they're on to you now,,,,

It's all about the stoke, spread the love....

And PS. you're painting this so called political group as a bunch of ner-do-wells; well? that dog just will not hunt.

They represent the interests of peace and tranquility in this natural setting....

Who's really got the PC in this one?

see what I mean?

That's a damn shame...

Maybe time to update your link in Kitbeaches dot com? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:35 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

afflatus,

You have a point and think that may be the case in many places. In our area the Doctors, Lawyers and professional people spent the extra bucks on kites not cameras. We dont have the mass of crazy out of control kiters that the more southern lats have. There are a few everywhere but the majority is of the good well educated and considerate type. We have some city councilmen and the Park management on our side because we have been so hard nosed about safety and consideration of other groups. But the squeeky wheel is the one that gets the grease. We need to be real loud. The bird people have an agenda and are well placed in relation to a few powerful ears. We need to expose the outright lies they are spreading. The bird are not at risk from any activity that takes place a Huguenot Park. But, they get these lies in the paper because they have friends who are editors or own the local rags. But they are few in numbers and if we present a solid front we may yet prevail. Once agian I urge all those who read this to rally to the cause. If we do not we will not be able to use the park or we will be only able to use a small part of it which will take away 90% of why the park is so great for kiting. Dont miss the meeting.

7 PM
First Coast High
Corner of Sterret Rd. and Duval Station
Thursday Feb. 28 (tomorrow)

P.S. afflatus, Thanks for keeping this at the top of the forum. It is greatly appreciated

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:08 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Just had a look at the draft management plan. Looks like the pond might be shut down to kiters, checkout page iv. This is a big deal guys. If you can make the meeting, please do.

http://www.coj.net/NR/rdonlyres/ea7e...an2008Text.pdf

http://www.coj.net/Departments/Recre...ement+Plan.htm

[ 4 posts ]