Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Airlines to start charging for 2nd checked in bag!

forum for kitesurfers

kite_n_rnd
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Sherman Island, Folsom Lake
Favorite Beaches: LaVentana, El Sargento hot springs
Style: freeride
Gear: GK Sonic, Underground FLX 28
Brand Affiliation: None

Airlines to start charging for 2nd checked in bag!

Postby kite_n_rnd » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:27 pm

Excerpts from Mercury News article in the San Franciso Bay Area:

Don't overpack, or it may cost you.

Three weeks after United Airlines said it will begin charging passengers $50 to check in a second bag on round-trip flights, US Airways jumped on board Tuesday and adopted the same policy.

You can expect the other big carriers to follow.

"By the time Memorial Day hits, all major airlines will be doing it," said Terry Trippler, an airline consultant and travel expert. "They will not pass up that revenue source for the summer."

So much for flying with kite gear! First, they were hitting us with extra fees for
checking in a 'board.' Now, checking in a second bag. What's next, paying to use
the toilet??

Jnonny
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: RRD, Epic, WindBone Kiteboarding, The KiteBuddy Self Launching/Landing Aid

Re: Airlines to start charging for 2nd checked in bag!

Postby Jnonny » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:17 pm

Continental also recently doubled their overweight fee (over 50lbs, less than 70lbs) --from $25 to $50.. got hit with that one twice checking in for a recent trip.. –was given the “increase in fuel costs” as reasoning/justification.. definitely going to have to get more “creative” in packing for future trips..

-John
========
KiteBuddy - Kitesurfing Self Launching & Landing Aid
http://www.thekitebuddy.com

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:14 pm

Nothing has changed for United Mileage Plus passengers. Sign up online, it's free. I think Continental still allows 70# for bags if they are registered in their frequent flier program. Not sure how long these "exceptions" will be around but in the meantime, sign up.

kite_n_rnd
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Sherman Island, Folsom Lake
Favorite Beaches: LaVentana, El Sargento hot springs
Style: freeride
Gear: GK Sonic, Underground FLX 28

Postby kite_n_rnd » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:28 pm

Note: The new charges won't take effect until May 5th.

If you are a 'preferred' or 'frequent' customer, they may charge you less than $50.
Check with your airline...

The new luggage fees don't take effect until May 5 on both airlines. US Air's new fees will apply to all tickets purchased as of Tuesday (United's fees were added starting Feb. 4). About 8 percent of US Airways passengers check in more than one bag, Wunder said.

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_8377789

TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Gear: Chrono2, Edges, Parks, Reos,
Surfboards, Mutants & Zeeko Hydrofoil

Postby TheRussian » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:05 pm

To avoid problems travel Virgin!!!

I travelled from London Heathrow to Joberg with Virgin (Prem Econ) and then SAA (Econ) to/from Durban.

The Virgin check in staff at Heathrow just asked me how heavy my kite/board bag was and I replied under 28kgs and they said no probs, pop it over there. My checked luggage was 23kgs.

SAA at Joberg were a little harder, they identified the kite bag as being overweight, but the check in staff were super friendly and did not charge. On the way back from Durban I was charged 30kgs excess for the kite gear bag to Joberg – still only R450 or GBP30. Again the Virgin check in staff at Joberg were superb and said no need to weigh the kitegear bag and asked me to move it onto the conveyor.

Virgin is a kiter’s friend!!!

The waves in Durban are awesome – a solid 6-8ft – there were even guys out tow in surfing!!! Great kiting, great place, great hospitality courtesy of Bruce Crystal @ Ocean2Air

Jnonny
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: RRD, Epic, WindBone Kiteboarding, The KiteBuddy Self Launching/Landing Aid

Postby Jnonny » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:25 pm

RickI wrote:Nothing has changed for United Mileage Plus passengers. Sign up online, it's free. I think Continental still allows 70# for bags if they are registered in their frequent flier program. Not sure how long these "exceptions" will be around but in the meantime, sign up.

The Frequent Flyer Programs are definitely the way to go for money saving "perks.." --especially with these increasing baggage fees ..but most require reaching certain "status" levels to reap benefits.. i.e. Continental does allow OnePass (FF) members up to 70lbs free for checked bags but must be at least "Silver Elite" (25000 miles or 30 segments within one year)..

-John
========
KiteBuddy - Kitesurfing Self Launching & Landing Aid
http://www.thekitebuddy.com

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:48 pm

Maybe now I can convince the wife she doesn't need to pack so much shit. :rollgrin:

Return to “Kitesurfing”