forum for kitesurfers

rikjonker
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

60 cm bar on the 9 ozone instinct 2007?

Postby rikjonker » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:11 am

Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible to fly the ozone 9 (2007) on a 60cm bar? In the manual there is a warning that you should not do that, but what is the risk? Hope anybody can tell me.

What I know is that the length of the depowercord (from the top of the chickenloop to the depowerbal right below the depowerstrap) on the 50 cm bar is shorter than that on the 60 cm bar. So on the 50 cm bar the max barmovement(from totally sheeted out to totally sheeted in) is less.

So I can image that flying a 11 on a 50 cm bar can be dangerous, because if you let go of the bar the movement of the bar is too lshort to totally depower the kite.
But in my opinion flying a 9 on a 60 cm bar is not dangerous, it should depower completely when letting go of the bar. The only disadvantage that i can think of, is that when you totaly sheet in, the kite could stall. But this is not dangerous. Is this correct?

Regards, Rik

panchito
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 60 cm bar on the 9 ozone instinct 2007?

Postby panchito » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:00 pm

rikjonker wrote:Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible to fly the ozone 9 (2007) on a 60cm bar?yes In the manual there is a warning that you should not do that, but what is the risk? Hope anybody can tell me.the difference is noticeable only when over powered , in your case you should not try pull the depower cleat trow all the way

What I know is that the length of the depowercord (from the top of the chickenloop to the depowerbal right below the depowerstrap) on the 50 cm bar is shorter than that on the 60 cm bar. So on the 50 cm bar the max barmovement(from totally sheeted out to totally sheeted in) is less.if i remember it was around 3 cm , again under normal wind range your won´t even notice

So I can image that flying a 11 on a 50 cm bar can be dangerous, i am flying my 11 Edge with a 50 cm bar since day one and it has a 2-3 knot less top range comparing to the 60 cm bar , that´s it because if you let go of the bar the movement of the bar is too lshort to totally depower the kite.[color=#FF0000]nope , only " again " when overpowered [/color]
But in my opinion flying a 9 on a 60 cm bar is not dangerous, yeap , i have a friend with a 13 m Sport & a 9 m light and hi only has a 60 cm for both kites and his 9m flyies as good as it should depower completely when letting go of the bar. The only disadvantage that i can think of, is that when you totaly sheet in, the kite could stall. nope , but on light winds even with the proper size bar your kite could stall when over sheeted But this is not dangerous.yuup Is this correct?yes

Regards, Rik

Return to “Kitesurfing”