Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: South Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cornwall
Gear: Ion2 8.5 / 10.5 / Amp s 9/12/16 North Rhinos 10/12/16
Brand Affiliation: None

Ion2 14m or 16m or wait for Ion3 ?

Postby trouty » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:06 pm

Yesterday i managed to try both the 14m and 16m ion2's. Wind was cross -on 11-21 knots.
I found the 16 to be v slow turning but not a problem as i could just park the kite and it was pulling like a steam train :D The depower on this kite is amazing and i felt in total control at all times and could have taken a couple more knots.

The 14m was again powerfull and when the wind was up turned and jumped superbly. The hang time of this kite had me grinning big time. :thumb:

I am riding a slingsjot doyle 142 tt and weigh 85 kgs.

When the wind dropped right down the 14 didnt turn so great but i still enjoyed it. The 16 i just found really slow.

I am thinking of upgrading from my North 16m and Amp 16m kites but dont know what would be the best route to take. I am at the stage now when it will take more than 12 knots to get me interested. So from say 14 knots upwards what would be the best kite to compliment my ion2 10m ?. The 10m seems to come alive between 20-30 knots. I also have an 8.5 which me and my son will share.
must admit i am veering towards the 14m but should i wait till the ion3's come out and what would be the difference ?
Another thought is to get an early planning board like the Skywalker pro 135 x 48. What wind would this board work in with a 10m anyone ?

thanks

toddsphresh
Medium Poster
Local Beach: folly beach
Gear: Flex Ion Two, Naish Torch , Slingshot Octane
Omega board

Re: Ion2 14m or 16m or wait for Ion3 ?

Postby toddsphresh » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:23 pm

i can get goin on 10.5 ion two in 12 knots and stay upwind. granted its not any fun until about 15 or 16 but i can go out. i weigh 150lbs and ride a 132/41 666. if moneys not really a problem i would wait for the ion 3s they should be ready any day now. if moneys tight go for the ion two casue they are screaming deal right now. dont go bigger than the 14.5 in either case i havent heard anything good about the 16.5 and all my mates that bought them last year sent them back because they thought something was way wrong with it in comparison to all other sizes. if you can get a larger board the apparent wind you can create with the high aspect ions will have you jumping in way less wind than you would imagine :jump:

trouty
Medium Poster
Local Beach: South Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cornwall
Gear: Ion2 8.5 / 10.5 / Amp s 9/12/16 North Rhinos 10/12/16

Postby trouty » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:11 pm

toddsphresh i rode both my mates kites yesterday and they too both had problems with rear attatchment point measurements. In fact my mates 14.5m would not even fly at all out of the bag. A few phone calls and adjustments and now they both fly great.
I agree and think the 14.5 is probably the way forward :thumb: but cannot stretch to a 14.5 and new early planning board at the mo.

It will be interesting to see how good the ion3's will be in the bigger sizes.

Do we have any ion3 prices yet ?

thanks

paul

skyte
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: FLEXIFOIL

Postby skyte » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:01 pm

I've been fortunate enough to have some involvement testing the Ion3s with Flexifoil. I'm a UK Flexi Team Rider.

The R&D guys have done a great job tuning the bigger sizes so they turn quicker but with a really nicely balanced bar pressure (light enough not to give you sore elbows but heavy enough to get excellent feedback). The 14.5 is really good fun to fly despite being a big kite. The 16.5 has always been aimed at heavier riders so you won't get much more from a 16.5 than a 14.5, just a bit more grunt and slower turn speed (it''s bigger, innit!) If you can get away with the 14.5 I would choose this as it's always better to be on a smaller kite whatever brand you fly - they're faster and can generate more apparent wind. You can always attach the front lines to the 2nd attachment points which gives the kite more grunt and works well for heavy riders. The 14.5 works really well on the 20m lineset too which makes it better for waveriding in light winds.

The whole range of Ion3s are extremely well balanced in terms of bar pressure and the power switches on faster when you pull in the bar. The kites drive through the kiteloops as long as you don't crank the bar too hard and still have great boost and hangtime. I've flown the 8.5, 10.5, 12.5, 14.5 and 16.5 and rumour has it the smallest size is one of the best kites they've made but I haven't got my grubby hands on one yet!

The Ion3 has finally convinced me off the C-kites and onto Hybrids full time because for me, they have all the performance of a C but with more depower/control.

Return to “Kitesurfing”