Eclipse Nano - Real Wind Range for 9M

forum for kitesurfers

RETZ
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Brand Affiliation: None

Eclipse Nano - Real Wind Range for 9M

Postby RETZ » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:03 am

Looking at the 9M but the web site gives such a wide wind range I dont know what to think. :?: I weigh 145 lbs/66 kgs. Whats the low and high end of this kite for me with a 130 cm board, based on your experience with the kite?

cheers,

Retz

RAL INN
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Sandy Point
Favorite Beaches: Pt Danger, Torquay, Aust.
Sandy point, Aust.
Nananu-i-ra, Fiji.
Style: freeride/waves
Gear: Zeeko Krush 12m, 9m, Notus3 10m.
Bhoot130x 39 TT, Zeeko Slash surfboard
Brand Affiliation: Naish, Zeeko.
Location: Victoria, Australia./instr+retailer www.krakentours.com

Re: Eclipse Nano - Real Wind Range for 9M

Postby RAL INN » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:23 am

At a demo of our 9m Nano, one rider at approx 75kg(max). was happily cruising and blissfully unaware the wind had dropped to 13-15kts. on a 137x38TT
At 95kg on a 125x39cmTT I get going in onshore wind and waves from 18kts.
at 35kts I have had an 80kg intermediate rider comfortably cruising on a 131x39cm board with depower to go.
But at your weight don't plan to use the 9m Nano over say 28kts.

TheBRD
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby TheBRD » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:22 am

The 9m nano low end listed is complete shit i weight 185lbs and had to work the kite just to get going in 20knts. I was riding a 133x40 liquid force recoil board. However the up side is the kite was amazing when i had it out in winds blowing from 28-35knts.

Larse
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Lynæs , DK
http://www.KiteboardingExercises.com
Favorite Beaches: Poppelvej, DK
http://www.KiteboardingExercises.com
Style: Wakestyle/freestyle
Gear: LF Nirvana, Envy, LF DLX and LF LFX
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force and http://www.KiteboardingExercises.com

Postby Larse » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:45 am

TheBRD wrote:The 9m nano low end listed is complete shit i weight 185lbs and had to work the kite just to get going in 20knts. I was riding a 133x40 liquid force recoil board. However the up side is the kite was amazing when i had it out in winds blowing from 28-35knts.

Did you put the rearline on the knot closest to the kite? I can ride my 9m with ease in 12-14 knots on my 127x42.

@Retz, you can probalby use the 9m as a one quiver serie. You will loose some some time one the water with only one kite of course.

Where are you from and what are your typical wind conditions?

RETZ
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby RETZ » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:29 pm

Larse,

thanks for your feedback. I ride mostly in the gorge and at the Oregon Coast on a surfboard. Im not worried about low end on the surfboard but i ride a local spot from time to time that doesnt blow over 20. you say you can get going on a TT in the low teens. How much do you weigh?

any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ryan

dfunk
Rare Poster

Postby dfunk » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:39 pm

BRD, I have to say I am impressed with the low end of the 9M. Was out the other day and the only one on a 9M. Everyone else on 11s - 14s. I weigh170 lbs and ride 5'8" directional. Not sure what the wind was exactly (guessing 12-15 mph) but myself and others thought I was :jump: for even trying a 9M. Didn't have a choice since I had just sold my biggest kite. IMO the 9M Nano gets the same low end as 12M Trix. If you haven't done so already, try adding a fourth knot to the trailer leader as mentioned in previous posts. Also I use the knot furthest from the kite on the front leader; kite set up in most powered position possible.

eastcoastkite
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Gilgo NY/ Jockeys ridge OBX
Style: waves, freestyle, freeride
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse Kiteboarding www.eclipsekites.com

Postby eastcoastkite » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:52 pm

You need to have the kite tuned right to get the most out of it. The 9m Nano is good from 12 knots on a surfboard, I can even use the 6m in 15 knots and I am 190 lbs. That is why we call the kite Nano: Small and powerfull. But you will need to work the kite in light winds to get the power.

Add the forth knot OR mid knot on the bar and top knot on the kite- then you will get some power.

Return to “Kitesurfing”