Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Alameda, Ocean Beach
Gear: Cabrinha XBow2 12M
Brand Affiliation: None

Kite Size for El Yaque

Postby bendewell » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:26 am

Hello,

I am 195lb beginner to intermidiate rider and will be travelling to El Yaque next month. I currently have a Cabrinha Xbow2 12M and 137 x 42 Litewave board but I need a smaller kite for Venezuela. I'm debating between a 7M and 9M bow or hybrid. The average wind speed in April at El Yaque is 25+ mph in the afternoon. I'm leaning toward a 7M because I do not want to be stuck on the beach with a 9M if we get 30-35 mph winds everyday. Any suggestions on size or brands? The Ocean Rodeo One 7M or 9m seems to be a decent choice at a good price.

Thanks,
Ben

Diego K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Isla del Ciervo
Favorite Beaches: Isla del Ciervo, Calblanque,Coche island
Style: Freeride - waves - freestyle
Gear: Cult 2009 10.5m and 7.5
Thorn 2007 129x39.5

Surfboard Sold

Re: Kite Size for El Yaque

Postby Diego K » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:20 am

For your weight maybe a 9 when i was there i kited everyday with 10m

West
Rare Poster

Postby West » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:03 am

I'd say either 7 or 9. Was there last month and used both 12 and 7, tho the regulars were saying it hasn't been as windy this year as usual so maybe lean towards a 9. Also I wouldn't bother with El Yaque, it's gusty choppy and crowded, just head to Coche, you can do day trips over there if you want the night life in El Yaque or just stay on Coche and chill out. Have fun!

Innis
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Innis » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:50 pm

Get a 9m. I'm 180lbs and my smallest kite is an 8m Sonic (which I love but with it's high aspect ratio isn't the best choice for beginners). Going from a 7m to a 12m is a big gap even for bow kites with tons of depower. Remember that while these kites might be controllable over a huge windrange, they still have a much smaller ideal range or sweetspot and it's nice to have some overlap. If you're dead set on something smaller than a 9m get an 8m OceanRodeo Rise or Cabrinha Switchblade.

Return to “Kitesurfing”