Morfin
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unhook railey to blind and HP

Postby Morfin » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:37 pm

Im looking for any advice available.
Im finally able to do the unkooked hop to blind and then pass the bar. Now Im trying the small railey to ablind and pass the bar, but it seems really hard with the lines tensioned.
When you do the little hop to blind you ease off a little and that takes away the tension on your loines, but doing the railey tensions the lines and makes it really hard to even turn.
What position do you think the kite should be to make it easier.
Thank you for your time. :bye:

pndLA
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: brazil, west-oz, capetown, MRU, Lanzarote, Tarifa...
Style: Waves & Foil
Gear: Slingshot / Ozone / North / LEVITAZ Foils
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot, Ozone, North, Gaastra,

Re: Unhook railey to blind and HP

Postby pndLA » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:53 pm

kite@45°

go more downwind before you pop off - the you land more downwind with slack lines...

Tommyboy
Medium Poster

Postby Tommyboy » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:34 am

If your having troubles... when you are in the air about to turn..pull hard on the bar to bring your body closer to the kite and slack up your lines a bit..

GL

T

reinis
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: CF, TK, OR, FS, o`neill

Postby reinis » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:13 am

besides pulling the bar towards the front hip after doing a decent railey, steer the kite downward a bit. if the kite is above 45 degrees (and it will be if you start the move with kite at 45), it will be a lot harder to land smoothly and complete the move.

besttaste
Frequent Poster
Style: pull power foreward

Postby besttaste » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:56 pm

Sounds as decent advice! I will try it out too :wink:

smoore
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Westward Ho!!!!
Favorite Beaches: The ho!
Style: free ride/style
Gear: 2009 torches and 132 thorn fc

Postby smoore » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:26 pm

ye im in the same place as you, landed a sort of railey to blind a few weeks ago but have only had like 25knt days since (10m torch + im 60kg), so its been old school kiteloops for me. hoping to nail that and s-bend to blind and dangle pass soon...

GL to you aswell,
cheers, smoore

Peter Sands
Rare Poster

Postby Peter Sands » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:10 pm

A sum up.
For turn: pull in hard to your front hip.
Landing: as downwind as possible, create slack
One last thing that helped me: I learned the railey to blind, but then I stirred the kite directly down into the water, after the pass. To prevent that, I now have the depower line between my fingers. Then you don't stir the kite, when letting go of the ohter hand. I now use that for many other trix, and that's just working out great.

Axis
Medium Poster

Postby Axis » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:00 pm

I had also been trying the hop to blind then passing with mixed success. I really only had success when underpowered and was getting frustrated. Along the same lines I can do a back to blind but have trouble passing as once I land I am too powered up.

This week I hooked a bar in my backyard to the fence on a bungee cord, and using a board practiced hopping to blind then passing the bar. By putting tension on the bungee there was still pull on the bar when I jumped to blind. Doing this made me realise how much I needed to rotate the board so it is pointing downwind upon landing. I concentrated on rotating the board enough that it was 45 degrees downwind. I did this at least 100 times. i think my issues have been due to landing blind across the wind so my kite immediately powers up either pulling me off my edge or just having too much power to pass. The bungee also pulled me onto my heel edge (downwind) when passing which was good to get used to as I previously was instinctively loading up the toe edge against the kite.

So, Thursday night I got on the water on my 15m Fuel in under 15 knots. Perfect to try. My first attempt I popped (more than the hop I had been doing) to blind and made the rotation and the bar pass when I landed was no effort at all. I was definately landing with the board further downwind than previous attempts. this was the only trick I tried for the session and as the wind increased I was doing them with more power. I made over 50%. None of them were a true railey but I think maybe halfway there.

So, make sure you are getting the board around enough and practice. i found when this happens the bar pass feels really natural. Don't load up the toeside when landing blind. Can't wait to get out again and try more, and see if this improves my back to blinds.

Have fun

switch313
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: none i travel.
Favorite Beaches: el medano, sotovento, pounta beach greece, , portland uk, some dominican spots, anywhere flat
Style: wakestyle, power,big air sometimes
Gear: c kites
Brand Affiliation: not really

Postby switch313 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:48 pm

do an sbend to blind first its alot easier and gives you a feel for this trick.

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:14 pm

Heres a old slowmo from 2005.

Return to “Kitesurfing”