Forum for kitesurfers
uncle switch
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tear Aid A Tape Don't Leave Home Without It

Postby uncle switch » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:26 pm

Second day at the Huts in Aruba I drop my 9m Waroo hard relaunch it and see that I have about a two foot tear next to one of the struts. Armando, who runs the local kite shop, tells me that he knows somebody that can sew it but it will probably take a few days. Fortunately I had a piece of A Tape left just long enough to cover the rip and put it on the inside of the kite. On the outside I applied some Bondex which is a nylon self adhesive repair material . I kited every day for the next the weeks in Aruba with the repaired kite and it held up great. Based on my experience I would say that A Tape can save the day not to mention a vacation where professional repairs are may not be possible. You can get Tear-Aid A Tape at Cabellas for 20$ for a five foot roll which is 3 inches wide. Its expensive but in my opinion well worth the money.Think of it as kite insurance.

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Tear Aid A Tape Don't Leave Home Without It

Postby panchito » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:16 pm

yeah ... i carry a box from kitefix and would never go out of the house without it ... very , very use full and have saved me several sessions !

Saludos

Franz

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:26 pm

Between Tear Aid and Kitefix, there would never be any reason to miss any kiting when on holiday due to kite damage.
Tear Aid will fix sail rips and is the only thing for bladders that we use these days ( I have not used my welder since we got Tear Aid)
https://www.kitepower.com.au/catalog/pr ... t_325.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kitefix is a much better, permanent way of repairing a torn kite canopy or leading edge, with no sewing. I recently fixed a school kite that was ripped from LE to TE in a zig zagged line late one Saturday afternoon and was needed the next day. I could not get it sewn in time, but had received my first shipment of Kitefix. 2 hours later the kite was finished and I was still home before dark, the kite has been in use in my school ever since and the repair is holding up like the day I did it. The rip was approx 1.5M long!!!
Total cost, retail prices, $44Oz dollars for the entire repair.

https://www.kitepower.com.au/catalog/pr ... t_325.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Click the link on that page to see the Kitefix guys join 2 separate kites together (same model and size) then try to kill it again.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

schmoe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby schmoe » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:23 am

Steve do you use type A for everything? What is type B for on a kite?

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:33 am

schmoe wrote:Steve do you use type A for everything? What is type B for on a kite?
Type "B" is marked as for use on Vinyl. I use some on a bean bag that had a cut in it, still going strong one year later and on my zodiac boat, with a zodiac patch over it, but I'm sure it would be fine without the overpatch of vinyl hyperlon material.

So yeah, for everything on kite bladders I use type A, for sails I use Gluefix.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

MeafordBoarder
Frequent Poster

Postby MeafordBoarder » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:08 am

Shit, I really gotta get me some of this stuff...

2.5 foot long rip in LE bladder and cloth, was going to get it repaired but decided to do it myself...barely started yet on the sowing...

Let me get this straight, you use Type A for BOTH the bladders and the dacron?

Galeltic
Very Frequent Poster
Location: i m lost cause kiting adrenaline steal my soul with heart

Postby Galeltic » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:45 am

many thanks for great tips
i know about red duct tape was useful
but tear aid seems to be better cuz i could see visible tape than red duct tape give me hard time :cool2: :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”