Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot REV 15m low end?

forum for kitesurfers

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Slingshot REV 15m low end?

Postby biggins » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:33 pm

Hi,

Curious about the 15m rev windrange in general for a 205lb guy. I used to fly a 2007 14m Rebel that had a sick range, but prefer the one pump/four lines/no battens of slingshot. How does the wind range compare? How is the depower on the bar, i.e. I could let go of the bar in 30knots on the Rebel and the kite would lose power and slowly fall to the water=lots of depower.

I'm suprised they don't make a bigger than 15m rev for the fattys?

thanks,

j

espensg
Rare Poster

Re: Slingshot REV 15m low end?

Postby espensg » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:40 am

I'm also a big guy (91 kg/200 pounds) and interested in the REV 15.

But it looks like the norwegian importer only has taken in size 13 and smaller... :-? Maybe I'll buy from the US, now that the $ is so weak 8) .

Any experience with the size 15 anyone? Low/high-end, turning speed, jumping, relaunch in light wind etc.

PGH
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby PGH » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:45 am

for me at 82kg on a 132x41 i found the absolute low end was about 10-11 knots....
it was just flying and yet when i worked it hard i could get across the wind.
the 15m rev is a powerful kite and certainly has the low end of my old big C's 20,18 and 16m's.
but its a lot more fun as its so much quicker to turn..

I got the 15m rev to replace the 15m fuel (07) and i'd say for me the low end is much better but i'm finding the top end lower on the rev.....But i was that impressed with the 15 that i've now traded the 11m fuel in for a 11m rev also. 8) 8)

my smaller kites are fuels though......love them :thumb:

Greenman
Rare Poster

Postby Greenman » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:05 pm

im 95 kg on the 08 thorn 133/41 and on my 15 m rev i get going and stay up wind in 12-13 knots.
is a nice kite . it then takes me up to 20 knots where i use the 11m rev.

No Idea
Frequent Poster

Postby No Idea » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:12 pm

Give thought to 13m Rev. I have not ridden a 15m but I am very impressed with the low end ability of the 13m Rev and I weigh 91 kgs at the moment (usually around 93kg). I can get going around the 12 to 13 knot mark and the top end is good as well. I have been riding 13m Fuels previously and the bottom end of the Rev is superior. You might get a few knots more out of the bottom end on the 15 but at a greater sacrifice of the top end.

Give thought to a wider board as well. A wide board 41cm+ and wide in the tips with little rocker will have you going earlier as well.

Just my opinion :thumb:

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:50 pm

yeah, SO agree with the bigger board theory. I used to use a glide with my Rebel 14m and get down to 11knots easily...with a skim now and can get almost the same as the glide, but more fun.

I would miss the low end if I went with a 13m...there are a LOT of 10-12knot days that a skim can be a lot of fun with on a 15m or so kite. The little kites just don't cut it for my fat ass. lol.

Interesting that the high end of the REV is not better than the 15m Fuel??? Really? thought it had "bow-like" depower?? hmm.

thanks,

j

The_One_and_Only
Medium Poster

Postby The_One_and_Only » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:48 pm

What up Biggs. I got to test out Tomaru's 15 Rev. For my weight and yours I would say that the top end is 30knots. I was lit on that thing in 30. But you know me. I was comfortable on it but I dont think it has more top end. Really fast turning, good depower for a four line set up. Give me a holla and well talk about it. Call daytime.

:thumb:

pdxmonkeyboy
Rare Poster

Postby pdxmonkeyboy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:22 pm

30 knots with a 15 Rev? You must be riding a tiny tiny board. Im 195 and went with a 9 an 11 rev quiver with a t2 14m for the low wind days.

One thing you have to ask yourself..do you want to spend $1500 on a light wind kite? I wouuld look into a used t2, make yourself a glide, or move some place windier :D

No Idea
Frequent Poster

Postby No Idea » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:34 am

The_One_and_Only wrote: For my weight and yours I would say that the top end is 30knots. I was lit on that thing in 30.

I am 90 kg and I ride a Misfit 07 136 and I reckon I am going to struggle with my 13m Rev in 25+ knots. IMHO I believe it does not have the same top end as my 07 13m Fuel as I was always confident of digging innan edging hard on the Fuel and sending it to the front of the window. The Rev seems to sit further back when edging hard. I was out in 20+ knots a few days ago and I reckon I am more comfortable on the Fuel than the Rev. Mind you, IMHO the 13m Rev when lined/layed next the 07 Fuel, the Rev looks alot bigger.

Just my opinion as you may very well disagree. Still now that I have ridden the Rev a few times now I find going back on the Fuel a bit of a dissapointment as I am really impressed with the Rev.

Cheers

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, NP Surf, Liquid Force, Ozone, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:14 pm

whoa...30 knots on a 15m anything is sending the wrong message to those who may not know better. be careful man.

I'm 215...strong rider and in 30 knots, I'm on a 9m Rev with no problems.

no way would i be caught dead on the 15m Rev in 30 knots.

I've been on the Cabrinha SB3's, SS Revs and Eclipse Thrusters all of similar sizes. I'd say that the Revs have the most pull followed by the SB3's and then the Thrusters. But overall range would have to go to the Thrusters followed by the SB3 and Rev very close behind.

A 15m Rev with a light wind board will go from a useable 8mph to about 20. 30? no way.

hope this helps,

bob
http://www.kiteridersllc.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”