Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Tulum Mexico Travel Report!

Forum for kitesurfers
Kite Adventures
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: San Francisco, CA and Brazil (Kite Adventures tourism company)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tulum Mexico Travel Report!

Postby Kite Adventures » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:48 pm

I visited Tulum in February and was completely in awe by the beauty of this remote location on the Yucatan coast of Mexico. The beach is long and perfect for beginners and advanced kiters alike. I had taken an hour van from Playa Del Carmen in hopes of finding some wind on my “relaxing” vacation. I urged my friend Jon to join me and take a kite lesson in this remote place I had only read glowing reviews about.
tulum4.jpg
tulum4.jpg (31.84 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
As I walked down the beach, I saw the flags blowing which was a great sign that wind and kiting were awaiting. I met up with Marco Cristofanelli from Extreme Control who has a really awesome operation in Tulum. He had about 6 instructors all hands filled with newbies who looked like they were having a blast.
tulum1.jpg
tulum1.jpg (43.57 KiB) Viewed 2583 times
Tulum is a long beach with a designated area for kiteboarders, which means easy launch and land away from the beach goers. The water was a beautiful blue and very warm; true to the Caribbean feel.
tulum.jpg
tulum.jpg (47.67 KiB) Viewed 1969 times
Marco took my friend Jon for the day and I couldn’t believe how amazing he had picked up the sport. Marco did a great job at explaining everything to him, I couldn’t believe the knowledge in just one session. Jon completely understood the wind mechanics, the set up of the kite and was telling me things that I never learned in my first lesson. He never once dropped the trainer so moving into the water was the next logical step. He completely rocked it! Marco also handpicked some of the nicest and professional instructors I have met. I spent the day kiting and getting to know this awesome place, from there we visited the Mayan ruins which were only a mile down the beach. There’s a ton to do in this little remote slice of heaven. Scuba diving, snorking , visiting the ruins and taking day trips around the area are just to name a few.
tulum2.jpg
tulum2.jpg (7.44 KiB) Viewed 1978 times
If you are looking for a beautiful place to kite and relax, I’d highly recommend Tulum. Marco’s team can help you with kite lessons, hotel and other activities. The best months for kiting is from December – July (14 – 22 knots), with the middle months being the strongest.

bigdave
Medium Poster

Re: Tulum Mexico Travel Report!

Postby bigdave » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:38 pm

returned few weeks back from playa del carmen. the pkra was in place and having a great time. tons of spectators and sponsors were on hand.

gravey
Medium Poster

Postby gravey » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:26 pm

Wow, it really looks beautiful there. I am heading down that way in a few weeks. Can anbody advise about the state of the wind this time of year? Thanks in advance. :D

Crispy
Medium Poster

Postby Crispy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:51 pm

I was in Tulum in February myself. What a great trip! I kited at the spot shown in the pics, by Extreme Control and also at the wave spot a few miles south by La Zebra. The waves proved a little too much for me but I still had fun doing downwinders there.

For anyone going I highly recommend getting a cabana on the beach. We stayed at Nueva Vida de Romero and loved it. They put out a lawn chairs and a mattress on the beach for you each morning.

Winds were light but ridable when I was there. You'll probably need your big kites, but check out wind guru for forcasts. http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=85080" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
2008_0307Image0154.JPG
2008_0307Image0158.JPG

Return to “Kitesurfing”