Best bar set up

forum for kitesurfers

Dunoyer
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Best bar set up

Postby Dunoyer » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:04 pm

I have an 2006 Best bar which I use with a 2007 Waroo 13 with the kite leash attached to one of the outside rear lines. I don't like it for 2 reasons:

1. If the kile loops, then the leash gets wrapped around the bar.
2. If I release the chicken loop in high winds, the kite remains pretty active even if only held by the one rear line.

Can anyone suggest a way to rig the kite leash so that it connects to a forward (inside) line?

lalawyer
Frequent Poster

Re: Best bar set up

Postby lalawyer » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:28 pm

Order the new 2008 Best bar which has a below the bar, front line, leash attachment point.

10horses
Medium Poster

Postby 10horses » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:38 pm

discussions for that are going on:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2346647

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2346748

use the search to find more.

20 m or bust
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Dalrock, Ray Roberts
Favorite Beaches: Mustang Island, Stink Beach
Style: Free ride
Gear: Waroos
Stretch board

Postby 20 m or bust » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:45 pm

order the Best 07 bar upgrade. Has spinning leash...

10horses
Medium Poster

Postby 10horses » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:46 pm

lalawyer wrote:Order the new 2008 Best bar which has a below the bar, front line, leash attachment point.

Really? Where did you get that from?

The best website says:

Handlepass/Bypass Leash:
The 08 Best Bar comes equipped with a high quality handlepass/bypass leash. This leash clips to the bottom of the dual depower line and activates full depower by shortening the depower rope whenever the bar is dropped.

10horses
Medium Poster

Postby 10horses » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:51 pm

20 m or bust wrote:order the Best 07 bar upgrade. Has spinning leash...

I have the 07 bar upgrade kit. No spinning leash! Am i missing something?

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:07 pm

2007 Best bars do not have spinning leashes, neither do the 2008, and no Best bars have below the bar front line leash points.

The 2008 bar is the same as the 2007 but with front line leash points/O shit handles (there are some other differences but regarding the leash points this is the only difference).

I have the 2007 bar and the way I get round the leash wrapping around the lines after a rotation is to clip the leash directly onto the depower line. If I need to leash out and bring the kite down I unclip the leash and clip it onto the O shit handle. The only time I ride with the leash connected to the o shit handle is if the conditions are really gnarly and I might want to leash out quickly.

As far as I know only EH and (possibly Slingshot??) do bars with the leash on a front line below the bar.

If you want to connect your leash straight to a front line it is a very simple thing to do. Remove a front line and fix a metal ring to the end closest to the bar, fix another ring to the end of the depower strap where the line attaches, pass the front line through the ring and back up to the kite, clip your leash onto the ring on the end of the front line - exactly the same as the o shit handles,

But you will still get the leash wrapping around the lines, and you will probably still find that the kite doesn't behave very well when released onto a front line.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:10 am

I believe he's talking about the handlepass/bypass leash connecting point which is below the bar. It actually extends the de-power throw of the bar to almost twice what it is normally. This is not a 100% depower on the front lines, but it effectively acts as if you could push your bar farther towards the kite twice the normal distance, slackening the back lines to a no-tension state, putting all the tension on the front lines.

Go to the Best website and look under product manuals in the Support section. It is well shown with photographs and description. SQ did a good job on the manuals. Because the connection point is below the bar, you can spin the bar to undo any line spinning that may have happened while you were doing your front and back rolls.

http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/Manuals

Dunoyer
Rare Poster

Postby Dunoyer » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:56 am

Does the 2006 Best Bar have the Bypass Leash?

austroKiter
Medium Poster

Postby austroKiter » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:16 am

Windrider wrote:I believe he's talking about the handlepass/bypass leash connecting point which is below the bar. It actually extends the de-power throw of the bar to almost twice what it is normally.

What are your experiences with connecting the leash to the handlepass/bypass leash connecting poing and riding unhoooked? When you lose the bar and the the kite is fully depowered, can you easily grab the bar again and immediately start riding again?

tom

Return to “Kitesurfing”