Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Making Your own BOARD BAGS!!??

forum for kitesurfers

KevinD
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006

Making Your own BOARD BAGS!!??

Postby KevinD » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:18 pm

I have 4 kiteboards and no board bags. I think I need bags but I am not willing to pay 200+ dollars just for board bags. 50-60 bucks each!
MAYBE I would buy if they were 20 bucks each. Does anybody make their own board bags? If so what material do you use and how do you construct it?
Thanks!

fprintf
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Longbeach, Stratford, CT USA
Compo, Westport, CT USA
East Beach, Charlestown, RI USA
Favorite Beaches: Ninigret Pond, Charlestown, RI USA
Great Salt Pond, Block Island, RI USA
Vanderbilt Beach, Naples, FL USA
Style: None yet!
Gear: None yet!
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Making Your own BOARD BAGS!!??

Postby fprintf » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:56 pm

Google is your friend. I bet there are lots of links on how to make simple bags. You will want a sewing machine because the material you will use is relatively thick. Depending on whether you want to make one with or without padding, the process can be as simple as sewing a sack out of cordura or as complex as quilting two pieces of fabric w/ batting between the pieces.

I think it is simpler to buy them. You get the benefit of high volume materials being purchased much cheaper than you can get a few yards of material, plus some inexpensive labor from Vietnam/Thailand/China sewing the things together. I think you could probably break even on one board bag assuming you have the sewing machine already, and then each bag after that could be cheaper. But it still takes some time and you probably won't end up with all the nifty pockets and straps either.

windydayagain
Rare Poster

Postby windydayagain » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:13 pm

i do. I do not go too often on the planes - one two times a year so I build a box made of monitor boxes. When all packed I will wrap it with scotch tape. It cost me about 3$ to build and holds 3-4 board easy ( no fins). When I am back -> it goes to recycle. Ive never had any problems with air companies. I am in Toronto and go to Cuba. Andrey

KevinD
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006

Postby KevinD » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:21 pm

No im just looking for simple separate board bags so that my board dont get banged up in the back of my car. thnx

mikelet
Frequent Poster

Postby mikelet » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:10 pm

The better board bag i ever had,it's one made from what here we call literally transleted:
"sock bag" for fit surfboards in,made in something like towel cloth.
Just buy a big one,that you can cut in half to fit two kiteboards.Sew the tips & there you go!.simple & cheap
The best thing it's that you can leave in the board wet,that it will dry.
Cheers!

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:59 pm

You could very easily make cloth bags for your boards. Polar fleece is fairly cheap, thick and will dry quickly.

I made a board bag out of a cut down old surfboard bag and it was too much for my sewing machine. Hand sewing is easy enough but very boring.

You can replicate the structure of commercial board bags fairly easily. My local fabric store has nylon fabric for the outer skin and you could use ripstop nylon for the inner and maybe polar fleece for the padding. It starts getting expensive once you start adding zips.

I have actually never paid for a board bag. They usually throw one in for free when I buy the board. It is cheaper for them to include extra stuff than reduce the price when haggling for a deal.

I rarely use the board bags. For me the bags are to protect my car from the boards. The boards are almost indestructible but my car interior scratches easily. I mostly use the board bag for the surfboard which is more fragile.

A tip. I wipe my board with a damp chamois car cleaning cloth. It gets the water and salt off the board and keeps the board and my car much cleaner and saves washing the board when I get home. The cloth is also good for cleaning the LE on the kite.

jpkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: NJ ( Lakes Bay, Brigantine, Tuckerton)
Hatteras,NC
Favorite Beaches: Lakes Bay,NJ
Brigantine,NJ
Dock St. NJ
Hatteras, NC
Florida Flats, Key West
Gear: EPIC kites, Cabrinha kites BRO-KITE POP 130X 40, HEIN custom boards, AXIS Vanguard+Nuskool, Kokotat drysuits
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jpkiter » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:07 pm

hey there kiterkevin...yeah it's pretty easy to make your own board bag...here's 2 pics of the ones i made....snow leopard + tiger....GO wild.!
Of course, they are just for day use in my car + on the beach...never would i use them for traveling in a plane...

Stop by your fav WalMart for a wide selection of any material you 'd like....having a sewing machine + knowing how to sew helps....or...since I am the pits at sewing even a button....

I just gave one of my friends $15.00 for their sewing skills and now I have several unique board bags
Attachments
snow leopard+tiger.JPG
my boardbags.JPG

kite2surf
Medium Poster

Postby kite2surf » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:15 pm

Check for end-of-the-season snowboard bag sales. A few years back I purchased 2 for my kiteboards simply because they were so cheap. I still use both of them.

K2S

Return to “Kitesurfing”