Forum for kitesurfers
snwman
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Newbie question to flying the kite

Postby snwman » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:52 pm

I have a 2006 waroo that I just bought and when I go out to fly it it flies over the
12 position and falls out of the sky. I have a 45 Best bar and have checked the lines
with a pole and all the lines seem to be of equal length. I can't figure out why it won't
stay planted at the 12 oclock. Can someone help me?

Thanks

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Re: Newbie question to flying the kite

Postby Windrider » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:01 pm

snwman wrote:I have a 2006 waroo that I just bought and when I go out to fly it it flies over the
12 position and falls out of the sky. I have a 45 Best bar and have checked the lines
with a pole and all the lines seem to be of equal length. I can't figure out why it won't
stay planted at the 12 oclock. Can someone help me?

Thanks
Kites generally will only overfly if you steer them that way, or if you outrun them and get under them.
IMHO: The concept of keeping the kite at "12 o'clock" is a misnomer. It's more like "keep the kite at 11:30". (BTW: I generally park mine at 11:00 instead of 11:30....) You really don't want it parked directly overhead because then it is too vulnerable to wind shifts that could make it do some weird things like fall. Also, keep a very light tension on the back lines while the kite is parked. The light tension helps the kite keep its shape, gives it slight power, and gives you some control on the kite.

I fly 2006 Waroos, and haven't had any problem with the kite doing that Led Zeppelin thing. So, it's not a kite specific issue. However, different kites fly differently. If you learned on Brand X, and now fly Brand-Y, Brand-Y may fly differently which makes you accidentally oversteer it into a stalling situation. Just a matter of learning the handling of a different kite.

You have had lessons, yes? Keep the kite "in idle" / "parked" / etc. is one of the early topics covered in lessons.

snwman
Rare Poster

Postby snwman » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:20 pm

Could it be where I have the knots set at? I have the wingtips from the second or third from the
end of the kite. The Y is set at the middle knot. I don't know if adjusting these will help any?

I will park the kite at 11 to see how that works though.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:43 pm

snwman wrote:Could it be where I have the knots set at? I have the wingtips from the second or third from the
end of the kite. The Y is set at the middle knot. I don't know if adjusting these will help any?

I will park the kite at 11 to see how that works though.
I generally fly my kites with the rear lines connected to the 2nd knot from the loose end of the rear bridles (farthest away from the kite). The middle knot on the Y is the factory default, so leave it as is for now.

Real way to tell is to fly the kite. When you push the bar all the way out, the back lines should go slack. Normally, you keep the bar a little pulled in to keep a light tension on the lines to give the kite shape, and give you some control on the kite. If you pull the bar all the way towards you, and the kite stalls irrespective of the amount of wind, then your back lines are connected to a knot too close to the kite (back lines effectively too short).

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:52 pm

Hey,

Sounds like light wind and some line adjustments.
Check out the Best forum. They have answered lots of questions.

http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck.

Clew In

2talented
Frequent Poster

Postby 2talented » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:28 am

I second the above. The only other question would be the weather you are flying it in. 1. is it enough wind to be flying in? under 10mph and most big LEI kites act wierd. 2. gusty or off-shore winds will shift and make the kite shoot towards the edge of the window and when the wind dies, kite falls.

Mr_Weetabix
Frequent Poster

Postby Mr_Weetabix » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:22 am

I'm a novice too, and I had similar problems... it came down to light winds and trying to power up too much. Although I'd learned how to use the depower strap, I'd only practiced with it in decent wind. I couldn't figure out why the kite (a new Xbow) would drop into the wind window from 12 (and then launch me down the beach if I caught a gust... good practice on the QR, anyway :oops: ). Anyhoo, I asked another kiter (always a cunning plan) who helped me to trim the kite. A little pull on the red ball and no more stalling.

snwman
Rare Poster

Postby snwman » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:10 pm

2talented and clew in I think you both hit it on the spot. I was flying my 12 waroo in off shore winds in about 2 - 8 knots. I think it may have been too light and the off shore winds were very unstable.

Thanks for the other info, very helpful.

What are the lowest usable winds you all would recommend to fly the kite?
Also, what do you mean by trimming the kite? Do you mean pulling in the depower strap if too much wind?
Lastly, on the depower strap should I fly the kite all the time with the depower strap all the way out?

Snwman

2talented
Frequent Poster

Postby 2talented » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:50 pm

- The waroo bars are going to be a bit different year to year, but they are meant to be flown with the power strap all the way out (center lines longest). start on the SECOND knot furthest away from the kite on the rear lines and fly the kite overhead with the bar sheeted (pulled) in all the way. If the kite backs down (backwards) into the window. you need to move the rear lines further away from the kite. If you run out of knots you need to adjust the lines on the bar itself.

-Most likely you wont have that happen. What you will find is that by the time you get to the 3rd, 4th, etc knot you will find the spot that the kite backs down. Rig on the previous knot.

- As far as wind goes, the 12m can be flown in a steady 10mph. Less if you keep it moving and have experience, but easily in a STEADY 10mph. I weigh 180lbs and ride a 135x 47.5 board in flat water in 12mph and stay upwind. (not super fun, but hey your getting wet!)

let me know if you need anymore help.

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:36 am

Hey,

In light wind you have to "figure it out" slight adjustments will make a big difference. When the winds pick up it seems kites become more foregiving. Take a little time on the beach and try some different knots and see for yourself.

Clew In

Return to “Kitesurfing”