Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Swell info for South Padre Island?

forum for kitesurfers

Proparoo
Rare Poster

Swell info for South Padre Island?

Postby Proparoo » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:36 pm

Going to SPI next week and hope to catch some waves.
Being from CA I know that the swell will be very different from what i am used to on the coast but I hope someone can inform me to the in's & out's of "surfing" at SPI.
Knowing the best place's to launch, in & out info for wave downwinders ect would be great.

Also, what's the best on-line swell forecaster for realtime & future surf reports in the area?

Hope to meet some of the locals while down there...

Rich

Alan
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Swell info for South Padre Island?

Postby Alan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:05 pm

http://spadre.com/surfcam.htm Scroll down for the surf report.

Mostly I just use the National Weather Service Marine Forecast. You can click on a number of buoys out in the Gulf.

Leaving CA in search of waves and going to TX? Sorry to say you got it backwards. Leaving the Great Lakes and coming to TX for waves makes sense. If real waves are really what you are after, TX just won't do it for you, CA is way better. The Gulf of Mexico is just not a large enough body of water for long period ground swell.

Most traveling kiters come here because it is a great place to learn. The flats are fun and safe. The Gulf is fun with small windswell thats mostly like chop. Even hurricane swell is usually un-ridable due to the wrong wind or a complete closeout.

Sorry to rain on your trip, I just don't want you to have unrealistic expectations for waves. Otherwise, come on down!

Alan

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Eduardo » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:47 pm

Proparoo
Rare Poster

Postby Proparoo » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:38 am

Alan,

I totally understand and I am going mainly to get good wind, warm water, flats (to work on my jumps and tricks) and yes I want to ride the Gulf waves if even to just play around in them...

I just want to know more about the area.

fearlu
Frequent Poster

Postby fearlu » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:40 pm

Rich,

What Alan didn't mention is the downwinder potential for the Gulfside "waves". He's right, compared to NorCal in the Spring, the waves there are small. But, where can we go for a 7-mile downwinder in warm water with small "learner" waves with a wife in a rental car to pick us up? :thumb:

Meanwhile, check out http://www.surfline.com for swell information. At least that's what we use here...

CosmoDog
Frequent Poster

Postby CosmoDog » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:58 pm

A trick is to kite down to where they start allowing cars on the beach. Then ask the ranger taking fees to call a cab. Its ~$12 to get back up to the jetty. The waves may not be huge, but they are fun and no crowds.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Ozones and Flysurfers

Postby jakemoore » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:31 pm

I like the magic seaweed site and think it gives you a pretty good idea and a decent forcast here. However if you are on the island, just go to the jetties if the wind is South and to beach access 5 (where the cars start) if its North. Nothing beats a first hand surf report so just go look. Downwinders between 5 and the jetties are the way to go in the Gulf and that follows the established kite traffic here. Please stay outside the first sandbar to avoid interfering with swimmers and fishermen. I take a cell phone in case there is nobody to call the cab at the booth.

Jake

Proparoo
Rare Poster

Postby Proparoo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Right you are Big Dave...

Only people from Nor Cal can truly understand how I can opt for the warm water and small waves as opposed to big knarly surf and frigid waters of the Northern California Coast.

Yes I thought of taking a local trip in my camper to the coast but am really looking forward to the warm wind & waters, big soft sand beach, shallow water (for working on my "stuff" ) Gulf waves & Downwinders.

Thanks to all who help me to understand the local scene better...

One week, can't wait.

Return to “Kitesurfing”