Career as a Kite Instructor

forum for kitesurfers

gill
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Career as a Kite Instructor

Postby gill » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:44 pm

I want to quit my job and become a full time kite instructor...so I can be on the water instead of sitting in the office wasting company time on forums.

1. How much does it pay? How many hours/wk? How much a year/season? Differences in pay at different locations? How long do instructors continue doing it?

2. Do you get PTO? Do you get sick days? 401K? Worker's Comp? Family Leave? Employee Stock? Pay for my education? Do they have a good dental plan?

3. Are you allowed to hook up with your students?

SurfboY
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Brouwersdam/Vrouwenpolder/Oostvoorne/Krabbendijke, NL
Surfers Paradise, BE
Favorite Beaches: El Coche, Ras Sudr
Style: Wake-,Freestyle
Gear: Naish kites, Nobile board, Mystic harnass and ION wetsuit. I like!
Brand Affiliation: http://www.xkiting.com

Re: Career as a KITE INSTRUCTOR

Postby SurfboY » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:15 pm

Lots of questions, for sure you need to get those answered before quitting your job.

I'll give you one, you won't get rich with it. It's for the lifestyle. I might give you another thing, get a place where there is lots and lots of wind everyday. Because if not, the days with wind you are going to spend teaching and you will never touch the water with your own board and kite.

20 m or bust
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Dalrock, Ray Roberts
Favorite Beaches: Mustang Island, Stink Beach
Style: Free ride
Gear: Waroos
Stretch board

Re: Career as a KITE INSTRUCTOR

Postby 20 m or bust » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:19 pm

Most small kite shops that just scrape by offer excellent benefits. They take care of your every want and need. They offer excellent forms of all the benefits you ask about and pay for Ivy League college educations for the bastard children you have from hooking up with all of your hot students. I am assuming you are looking to hook up with the women. They also offer mercedes SUV company cars with the gas paid for, free room and board in a home of your choice, everything.

gill
Rare Poster

Re: Career as a Kite Instructor

Postby gill » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:36 pm

lol...'20m'...u rock...will the army pay for pasa/iko university?

thanks for insight...it would suck to teach and not ride on a good day. although i've seen windy spots where schools and retailers ride in the late afternoon...but again very few spots are windy everyday, all day.

Donald Trumph and Donny Deutsch told me to find something I love doing...they said that's the secret to success.

mikewang
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Varadero, Keswick, Allenwood
Style: Freeride
Gear: Waroo 9m + 14m (2006)
Mystic Warrior (2007)
Naish Thorn 132cm (2007)

Postby mikewang » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:57 pm

When i first started kiting, I thought it would be cool to teach. Seeing as how the rate for instructor is out of proportion with local standards in many places (2nd world). for example the rate charged is $30usd-$60usd in countries like egypt, cuba, asian countries, which is A LOT compared to what other occupations pay in those countries.

But it did not take long until one will realize, instructors teach kiting, they do not kite. When they are off, there has to be wind, there has to be daylight, also you must have physical strength left, etc. when all those factors are in harmony, you will get a session.

What if you found another job similar to your current career, but just closer to a kitebeach. then you are kiting after work or on any weekend day there is wind. :jump:

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:05 pm

Be an instructor?? Fook that :o

Teaching when everyone else is riding, no way

Get a job that offers shift work, work nights, kite in the morning or afteroon, sleep in between :thumb:

I do 4 on/4 off shifts days and nights, basically work a 45 hour week but only actually work 2 days out of every 8 :D

Jay

airsurfer
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hollywood Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Aruba Boca Grandi
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Firewire surfboards Vader and Vanguard
LP and Slingshot Hydrofoil
Ozone Enduro, Reo, Chrono 2
Naish Pivot
BRM Cloud

Postby airsurfer » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:24 am

more proof that work is overrated and kiting will ruin your life :D I say go for it don't think too much there will always be another job. I know some instructors that ride pretty often.

groundclown
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1990
Local Beach: The Gorge, and Seaside
Favorite Beaches: Florence, Sunset, Manzo, and "Lyle" banned by the Rail Road because we are to stupid to cross the tracks I guess.
Gear: Windwing '09, Drops Daze 130X43, OpenOcean custom 6'2" squash tail
Brand Affiliation: Windwing R@D

Postby groundclown » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:12 am

Ir's all about the lifestyle.

get cert/ insured, and get in a van. travel around. fly kites.
sure it can suck sometimes when you really want a ride, but who says that you can't demonstrate a board start and throw in an s-bend for kicks. After about 2 hrs, most newbs need a break. ahh! 10-15 for myself. If you are not chained to a house payment and can follow the seasons, even better. I've never gotten to follow the season, but have had great seasons. add KGB/ buggy and snow and the season follows you.

Also I REALLY love teaching a student who is exiterated by the experiance. it's fun to see those first few wipe-outs.
I quit a good job to live this life. I now have a better fuller life. (but a bit less $)and more time with the family.
My family gets to hang on the beach with me and learn as well. taught first water lesson of the year today. 30 more minutes of wind would have been sweet. 15 for the student and 15 for me. oh well
no ride for me today. ya win some, ya lose some.

fprintf
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Longbeach, Stratford, CT USA
Compo, Westport, CT USA
East Beach, Charlestown, RI USA
Favorite Beaches: Ninigret Pond, Charlestown, RI USA
Great Salt Pond, Block Island, RI USA
Vanderbilt Beach, Naples, FL USA
Style: None yet!
Gear: None yet!

Postby fprintf » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:11 pm

You don't mention what line of work you are in.

I used to teach sailing, mostly for the fun of it, certainly not for the money. To earn money I would work second shift. I would leave the sailing center at 3 pm, quickly shower, get to work by 4 pm. I was off work at 1 a.m. and in bed by 1:30 a.m. I'd wake up at 9 a.m., sailing by 10 a.m., rinse, repeat as necessary.

The alternative is to find a place of business that supports telecommuting. I know a few people have moved to Hatteras, Cape Cod and other places. For at least one, their work "busy season" is during the summer when the wind sucks in their location. So they sail, using all kinds of personal days, during the Fall and Spring, and then occasionally sail during the summer. Either way, since they are close to the action they can sail whenever they want.

Instructing doesn't pay. Instructing is awful when the wind is blowing and there is not enough downtime between students to sail yourself. Working a job that pays real money and has enough flexibility to allow sailing from a good location is key. Maybe consider moving to Corpus Cristi - relatively big town, so lots of job opportunities, and you can stay cool by blackberrying in from the beach.

kiteparty
Rare Poster

Postby kiteparty » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:39 pm

groundclown wrote: ya win some, ya lose some.

wise words. i think no free lunch in anything you do for living
but some works just happen to be closer to beach front than others :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”