Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

caribbean islands in may?

forum for kitesurfers

getholdofgraeme
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: littlehampton, camber sands, littlestone, hillhead, whitstable
Favorite Beaches: kite beach / langebaan - cape town
Gear: takoon furia ltd, 7, 9, 11 (2010) & naish torch 16m (2007)
Brand Affiliation: None

caribbean islands in may?

Postby getholdofgraeme » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:07 pm

Whats the wind like in this area for this time of year?
i know thats kinda vague, but we are not sure as to where we want to go yet.
we are both kiting and scuba diving. We are looking at a) st lucia and dominica. b) Or perhaps, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands. c) And whats Grenada & St Vincent & Grenadines like?
Probably looking at 2 to 3 weeks from mid may to end of may/beginning june.
Any info would be appreciated. It seems like low wind season that time of year, so probs gonna 12's and 16m's?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: caribbean islands in may?

Postby RickI » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:27 pm

We were in Grenada and the Grenadines around that time last year. The trades start to ease off about then and the wind can be uneven. It really never came up for me. Other times you might luck out, it is uneven. Similar comments might be applied to St. Vincent as it is about 70 miles to the north. Still, lots of beautiful islands, reefs and wrecks to checkout. If you are going for wind, I would say to shoot for earlier in the spring or winter. The same might be said of the Virgin Islands in my experience. The viz. is great in the BVI with the water a deep blue. There are unusual rock forms, massive rounded stromboli hurled from ancient volcanic eruptions at the Baths, Dog Rocks and other areas well worth checking out UW. 12 and 16 m should cover things well. Even if you aren't slathered in solid 12 m wx the BVI can deliver a great experience particularly for cruisers.

You should have a good shot at trades winds/thermals in Cabarete as long as no tropical wx systems come along to screw it up. You might want something smaller than 12 m for Cabarete if solid thermals come in for the afternoons. I would checkout historical winds at ikitesurf and through the No Work site (think they have them?). They tout the DR for diving but from what I have seen viz. isn't that great. Haven't been to St. Lucia yet.
Last edited by RickI on Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Eduardo » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:38 pm

you should also check out bonaire - lots of wind and a nice combo of kiting & diving. I only dived a few times so can't compare, but the divers there said it is one of the top spots in the world.
http://www.kiteboardingbonaire.com/

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:04 pm

The ABC island latitudes can have some of the best, most reliable wind in the Caribbean in my limited experience. Solid trades set up against the north coast of South America and it's usually below a lot of the tropical systems that can mess with trades further north. Really loved kiting Lac Bay on Bonaire until we got booted out of there. How is the kiting in offshore winds at Pink Beach? The island is pretty low there so I would hope the wind isn't that uneven? The diving isn't that bad in Bonaire, although it was better 30 years ago! How many spots can you say that about today worldwide, too many I am afraid. The viz. isn't that bad and blue water abounds. The reefs are actually in better shape off the windward iron shore of the island. Perhaps due to fewer divers and greater water transport/exchange. I used to go there for kiting/windsurfing and diving. Haven't been back since they banned kiting at Lac Bay though.

getholdofgraeme
Medium Poster

Postby getholdofgraeme » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:44 pm

hi rickl,
i see you are in florida.
whats the florida keys like this time of year? or bahamas?
we are so undecided......... we're willing to go anywhere as long as there is good wind too.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:02 pm

We are nearing the end of our traditional wind season in Florida. This year the winds have been a bit more off than on. The same might be said of the Western Bahamas and less so to the central and southeast Bahamas where limited tradewind activity occurs. The Keys have had a bit better wind than mainland areas on the whole per usual trends. Tons of great diving and water sports activity to be had both in the Keys and Bahamas. The wind prospects are usually more uncertain the closer you get to mid May. Late May and early June are among our calmest times of the year traditionally. I would have a hard look down in the Caribbean for that late in the year.

For another possibility, the Kitehouse is setting up shop on Grand Cayman currently. Not sure how solid the wind prospects are there in late May early June. You could ask them. The diving is pretty good however and just hanging out on the island is fun. Put a video together of some scooter free diving along the shallower portions of the wall down to 125 ft. last year

HERE.

islandstylen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby islandstylen » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:20 pm

May can be a bit hit and miss, sometimes we have great wind other times it can be crappy, just gotta be lucky this time of year, had lightish wind the past week but still been riding on my 14m era with power. had some great north swell waves this morning.
looks totally crap for next week but who knows after that, praying for more. was really good may last year. i would look into venezuela, los roques , Coche or ABC's.

getholdofgraeme
Medium Poster

Postby getholdofgraeme » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:43 pm

Thanks for all the info.......
We have just bought flights to St Lucia for 2 weeks - mid may.
Plans are to include Dominica & possibly Barbados.
busy itinerary, but thats the way we like to travel! busy busy busy!!!!
So any info / recommendations we'd love to hear!
thanks in advance,
graeme

iceaxe
Medium Poster

Postby iceaxe » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:17 am

You will love St. Lucia, I've been there twice in the last year--once at the end of august, and once in mid december. There are two main spots on the Island, one in the North and another in the south about 2 minutes from the airport. The spot in the south is called Anse de Sable--there is a really chill kite school there called the Reef. In august I rode a 16m Liquid force assault mostly and I rode 8-10-12m switch blades in december. I suspect the wind will be very similar to what it was in December.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Eduardo » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:34 am

Rick - I didn't know lac bay ever allowed kiting. That's a perfect spot, and not even including that it's next door to a nude beach ;-). If they removed the ban that would have to be an ultra top spot world wide.

As for the off shore sites of bonaire, not gusty at all, and the local shop uses a boat to teach and to rescue if needed.

And you're right on about wind consistency. They get two advantages to the rest of the Caribbean in summer - acceleration from the thermal/low pressure set up by Venezuela and being south of the hurricanes/tropical storms that can disturb the trades.

Return to “Kitesurfing”