Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Newbie looking for a used board: Spleen Session 41 or...?

Forum for kitesurfers
Pascale
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Newbie looking for a used board: Spleen Session 41 or...?

Postby Pascale » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:10 pm

Hi,

I read that Spleen boards are really forgiving to beginners and also good in light wind (which is what we get in the summer).

I'm 5'11, 135 pounds. I was considering the Session 41 but can't seem to find a used one anywhere...
Saw a FlySurfer Spleene rip 138 Size: 138x44

I just don't understand if Flysurfer is another brand that has a model called Rip or if the company is in fact called "Flysurfer Spleene"
Please help me about that and about what you think would be the best choice for me, if the 138 x 44 size is ok compared to the Session etc.

Also if there is another brand and model that is really good for beginners and also more common so I can get a chance to find one second hand?

Many many thanks!

daffy

Re: Newbie looking for a used board: Spleen Session 41 or...?

Postby daffy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:42 pm

Pascale wrote:I just don't understand if Flysurfer is another brand that has a model called Rip or if the company is in fact called "Flysurfer Spleene"
Flysurfer is the brand of the kites; there are also Flyboards to go with that (see all of them at http://www.flysurfer.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Spleene is a separate company (http://www.spleene.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Both companies collaborate extensively, in the past even to the extent that Flysurfer had the exclusive(?) distribution rights to Spleene boards.

Generally speaking, whenever you run into a "Spleene Door", "Spleene Session", "Spleene Rip", a "Flydoor", or "Flyradical" (the latter under the Flyboards brand), you have found a board designed by Spleene (Rainer Kauper).

Out of these boards, have a go at what is the right board for you. Your best option always is to extensively trial a board before you purchase it. Many people are happy with Spleene-designed boards (me included), but as with almost everything, taste is subjective.

As a point of reference: My gross weight on a kiteboard exceeds 90kg (all the nice apparel ;-)), being about 190 cm tall. I absolutely and positively enjoy riding the Spleene Rip34 (of 2007), the Flyradical L (which would be equivalent to the Spleene Rip Max?) is quite nice as well, but for my taste too heavy. The Spleene Session 41 (of 2007) is also a rather nice board. I have learnt to try to avoid anything longer than 140 cm ;-) (which excludes the Session and all Doors - preference).

The Rip34, with my weight, is perfectly adequate in less than overpowered conditions; it glides very well even through lulls, assuming that your weight distribution on the board matches the (lack of) power delivered by the kite - i.e. no edging please. ;-)

With the Flyradical L and a Flysurfer Speed II 15 I was able to go upwind in about 13 knots of steady winds - and ever since having done that, I learnt quite a bit about being much more efficient in my riding.

So back to you: 135 pounds translates to 60 odd kg of weight. With that, a Spleene Session should be adequately sized as your largest "still have fun" board; the Rip Max / Rip38 will be close in performance and be easier to work with on the water.

Board size requirements will also depend on your skill level; a Spleene Monster Door will be much, much more forgiving when it comes to bad weight distribution over the board - the smaller the board, the more important "proper" balance, competence in riding becomes.

And before you buy anything: Trial. Do not buy blind. If you cannot trial at your local place, travel and trial there, under conditions similar to what you expect to be riding in. Do not buy blind.

JS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JS » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:40 pm

Pascale wrote:Hi,

I read that Spleen boards are really forgiving to beginners and also good in light wind ...
Several of us in Vancouver have Spleene Session boards. At first, we saw them as a good option for really light wind, but now we often ride them even when there's enough wind for smaller freestyle boards. They're fairly light and they rip upwind so fast that there's way more time for tricks and stuff than with most other boards.

If you want a used one, try Philippe at our local shop, Airtime Boardsports. He probably gets them through occasionally because many of our local kiters upgrade to new equipment pretty often. http://www.airtimeboardsports.com

If you get stuck, PM me. I may trade mine in sometime soon.

Cheers,
James

Pascale
Medium Poster

Postby Pascale » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:46 am

[quote="daffySo back to you: 135 pounds translates to 60 odd kg of weight. With that, a Spleene Session should be adequately sized as your largest "still have fun" board; the Rip Max / Rip38 will be close in performance and be easier to work with on the water.
quote]

Thanks for the detailled info. Since English is not my first language I,m not sure what you mean by "as your largest "still have fun" board".

Also, why would the RipPlus (138) and RipMax (140) be easier to work with on the water?

Sorry if I need a lot of explanations...

Your time is very much appreciated.

Pascale

Pascale
Medium Poster

Postby Pascale » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:52 am

JS wrote: Several of us in Vancouver have Spleene Session boards. At first, we saw them as a good option for really light wind, but now we often ride them even when there's enough wind for smaller freestyle boards. They're fairly light and they rip upwind so fast that there's way more time for tricks and stuff than with most other boards.
Then it's between Session and Rip for me. What would be the perfect size if my goal is ease of riding for a beginner? Rip Plus or Max or session 39 or 41?

[/quote]
If you want a used one, try Philippe at our local shop, Airtime Boardsports. He probably gets them through occasionally because many of our local kiters upgrade to new equipment pretty often. http://www.airtimeboardsports.com

If you get stuck, PM me. I may trade mine in sometime soon.

Cheers,
James[/quote]

Thanks about that. I'll certainly keep it in mind.

Just curious: found 2 dealers in Canada but none seems to sell the Spleene style that you see on http://www.spleene.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; website (the white and orange ones). They seem to sell the Flysurfer style (which I don't like)
I also saw a Spleene board with red "Hawaian" flowers: probably an old one?

daffy

Postby daffy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:51 am

Pascale wrote:[quote="daffy]So back to you: 135 pounds translates to 60 odd kg of weight. With that, a Spleene Session should be adequately sized as your largest "still have fun" board; the Rip Max / Rip38 will be close in performance and be easier to work with on the water.
Pascale wrote: ... I,m not sure what you mean by "as your largest "still have fun" board".
The size and shape of a board and its dynamic behaviour (flexibility distribution over the board) determine the way it feels while being ridden.

Large boards typically are, or feel, "heavy". Boards with a negative, concave outline (like the Spleene Session) tend to prefer going straight, while boards with a (normal) convex outline tend to be easier in turns.
Pascale wrote:Also, why would the RipPlus (138) and RipMax (140) be easier to work with on the water?
Pascale wrote:The Rip boards have a normal convex outline. This makes them more agile on the water.
[/quote]

All of the above are just general, rather broad statements. Your best way to approach this matter is to use them as rough guidance, then actually try specific products to see whether they match

* your physical givens (body height, body weight, stance width)
* your level of competence
* your preferred style of riding

It's like choosing a car, really. You wouldn't want to purchase a Ferrari if you are a very tall beginner driver who wants to go off-road. This does not make the Ferrari a bad car, just a car that does not suit your requirements ;-)

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Postby PBKiteboarding » Sat May 03, 2008 9:05 pm

The Rip 138 is awesome for our gusty conditions in Canada... have a demo for sale and a 129 as well... Also now a door 164 2007 and f course all the new stuff.. is looking great too... The light blue is looking great!...
The Door works great for beginners and of course for pros as well if you ever saw the guys do a slim chance trick on the flysurfer version...
If any one in Canada wants a Spleene... let me know... we ride them and Demo as well.... WOW.., and with the Silver Arrow 19m crazy power and light wind machines.. We need the combo for low summer winds....
Boards you never outgrow I find.

I get customers trading up for new models and sell my demos as well once in a while... Hope that helps.
I've learned allot about the combo Flysurfer Silver Arrow and the Door...wild stuff... in Canada

Paul
http://www.pbkiteboarding.com/gear/sple ... anada.html

On the SA2 19m and Door 164 here.. but ride the 138 many days at 150lbs... and the rip 128 powered up even on the sa2 19m

They work great for beginners and you never outgrow.

Last edited by PBKiteboarding on Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NSKITER
Medium Poster

Postby NSKITER » Sun May 04, 2008 2:39 am

Pascale,
Check your PM's.

Return to “Kitesurfing”