Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fetching boards- how to?

forum for kitesurfers

viktor
Frequent Poster

Fetching boards- how to?

Postby viktor » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:50 pm

So you spot the board that the guy has been body dragging for the last 10 minutes so how do you bring the board? If the board is floating with straps up grabbing the strap going by is easy, if it has a handle it is easy to just stop and hold the board under the bar with you thumb. but when it is floating upside down and no handle then what?

mobettah
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: FB
Favorite Beaches: Cape Haterras
Style: Go Big!
Gear: Naish Boxer II's - C kites baby!
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Fetching boards- how to?

Postby mobettah » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:57 pm

viktor wrote:So you spot the board that the guy has been body dragging for the last 10 minutes so how do you bring the board? If the board is floating with straps up grabbing the strap going by is easy, if it has a handle it is easy to just stop and hold the board under the bar with you thumb. but when it is floating upside down and no handle then what?

Was in Hatteras last week and helped one beginner get their board that was in a deep spot. It was upside down. I went upwind of the board, put my kite at neutral and pulled myself so the board was up against my board. Flipped it over and then dragged it downwind of them. Still haven't mastered picking the board up though...

zerogee_ca
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby zerogee_ca » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:00 am

Like all skills this take some practice. I've seen guys carry it downwind by the handle, on their lap, even by sitting on it and riding. If upsidedown, the straps, pads and handle creates a lot of drag so sometimes all it takes is flipping the board right side up so it will blow downwind easier (or ride the waves) to the rider.

Directionals are bigger and don't have a handle so are harder to carry, I find just flipping them rightside up will do it as they ride the wind and waves very well and will often beat the rider downwind.

goulart
Medium Poster

Postby goulart » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:22 pm

If you must carry it, just place the board, fins down, on your arms or forearms (depends on where the power zone is on the depower rope).
Ride slowly.

Hv fun.
:bye:

Kitedude
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Kitedude » Sat May 03, 2008 7:35 pm

i hold it by the handle and keep my hands on the bar. if theres no handle i just stick my hand in a footstrap and use one hand to kite

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Ozones and Flysurfers

Postby jakemoore » Sat May 03, 2008 10:23 pm

I rescued a board the other day for somebody with a disabled kite. It was about a 1/2 mile reach to shore. The hardest part was waterstarting with the board in hand. I carried it by a fin so it would drag behind me out of the way and not smack me. I wish I had thought of putting it over my arms as goulart suggested.

Jake

Noble_109
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 9
Gear: Cabrinha, Liquid Force, Best
Brand Affiliation: Blown Kiteboarding

Postby Noble_109 » Sat May 03, 2008 10:39 pm

I always check to see if the board is bigger then mine. If it is, I switch boards. It is eaier for me to cary my 130 then the other board. So I stop, put their board on and ride over to them with my board in my hand. Then I can kick their board off down wind of them, put my board back on and go.

it also lets me try someone else's board!

Return to “Kitesurfing”