Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: City Beach, Melville Beach - Perth
Favorite Beaches: Umhloti Beach, Durban, South Africa
Tekweni Beach, Durban, South Africa
Brand Affiliation: None

Eclipse Nano Handling?

Postby richswing » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:22 pm

Hi,

I have been flying Eclipse Nano's (not alot since it is off season here), I learnt on a Xbow2 12m, but every time I fly the Nano's it falls out the sky due to one of the points below.

1. Either when I jump it, I overfly it but I think that is due to not flying it about above me or down turning it before landing. It is suppose to be ideal for beginners and usually beginners bar control is not the best???

2. The other times I have had it fall out the sky is when I get trashed by a wave, the lines go slack and the kite drops out. Now that is virtually impossible to prevent as it is a wave kite and people do fall off boards. It usually happens when I am trying to get on my board and a wave breaks and throw's me around a bit, the lines go slack and it falls out.

The first point often happens when I jump but don't land properly and drop back in the water and the lines go slack.

Are these issues normal for Hybrid kites, I now the first HyperTypes had a problem dropping out the sky as I have been searching for corrective actions on the forums and they where the prominant kites. Are these issues due to the aspect ratio or to their front line connection points being too close to the centre of the kite.

I have been thinking of putting a 5th line on them, will it help, maybe just improving the safety factor if it falls out of the sky when walking on land?

Has anybody had the same problems or any ideas to prevent them would be appreciated.
Otherwise I will see if I can get use to them next season.

Cheers

beninfl
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Sandy Hook, Kite Island, anywhere NJ
Favorite Beaches: Aruba and Turks and Caicos were pretty fun
Style: Beginner
Gear: SS Link 12m, Rogue Wave Custom TT

Re: Eclipse Nano Handling?

Postby beninfl » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:40 pm

richswing wrote:1. Either when I jump it, I overfly it but I think that is due to not flying it about above me or down turning it before landing. It is suppose to be ideal for beginners and usually beginners bar control is not the best???

This happens to me on my SS Link - but then again it also falls out of the sky during gusts when the wind is low.... In my VERY limited experience, this is a design issue with kites. Some kites fall back in the window when the lines are slack, while others go forward and fall.

Kite-Essence
Medium Poster

Postby Kite-Essence » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:58 pm

Shorten the back lines by 1 knot close to the bar it will solve your problem...I had the same issue...

Dan

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 10/12/14 for Free Style
RENEGADE 7/9 for Wave riding. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 40+ for the waves.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:05 am

Make the back line shorter and use the 3rd knot on the kite. This will solve your problem.

richswing
Frequent Poster

Postby richswing » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:26 am

I can see that shortening your backlines will prevent the kite dropping out when getting trashed but you also loose depower in the process, don't you? Is it not relative to your adjustment on the depower aswell, I can connect ot the 3rd but depower it enough to eliminate the 3rd knot.

When I kitesurf I like to depower as much so I can surf the wave and hopefully make the kite sit more forward in the window, that is when I go right and the wind is blowing from right to left.

Dimitri, do you feel the travel on the bar is sufficient enough to do the above approach on the third knots. I normally do connect to the third and have placed a 4th knot which I don't use but it has shortened the back lines by about 1/2 inch anyway. Since then I have lengthened the CL line so that it is 38cm + the length of the clamcleat stopper = about 46cm approx. which in effect shortened the backlines substantially making me move to the 2nd knots on the kite. I did this so that it held up the Clamcleat stopper when not using it.

I know of a shop that was testing the kites out and had similar issues and were considering not to sell the kites, the guy even went as far as putting stoppers on the pulley lines on the kite but said it lost depower. He said the 12m was better than the 9m when it came to luffing. I don't know their decisssion yet.

Cheers

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 10/12/14 for Free Style
RENEGADE 7/9 for Wave riding. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 40+ for the waves.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:39 am

I love the NANOs for the waves. Never had that problem on any of the NANOs.
Few times the NANO 6 fell on me but that was because of 15 knots and I got eaten by the wave so it pushed me under my kite.

RAL INN
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Sandy Point
Favorite Beaches: Pt Danger, Torquay, Aust.
Sandy point, Aust.
Nananu-i-ra, Fiji.
Style: freeride/waves
Gear: Zeeko Krush 12m, 9m, Notus3 10m.
Bhoot130x 39 TT, Zeeko Slash surfboard
Brand Affiliation: Naish, Zeeko.
Location: Victoria, Australia./instr+retailer www.krakentours.com

Postby RAL INN » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:31 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpkChdZgdtw#

This shows a 12m Nano set up with lines on 3rd knot at kite, 2nd knot at bar, and depower rope extended to full length.
the conditions are perfect for causing the problems you describe but no problem.

The problems you describe only occour if you lose all rear line tension AND have the kite overhead AND the winds are unstable and light.

So set up kite so that at the maximum depower you wish to use, you still have rear line tension.

richswing
Frequent Poster

Postby richswing » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:37 am

I've definately seen it surge forward in gusty conditions and you can keep it under control by always having a bit of backline tension but I usually ride strappless in the surf and it takes me a bit longer to get on the board since it does not have straps or a handle to keep under control and due to the longer time I usually get nailed by sets coming thru.

Were should I put the kite when I am trying to get on my board, should I pull in the bar so I keep the back lines as taut as possible or have the lines loose so ready to tension up when a wave comes through?

I know I will most probably answer alot of these question my self when I get some decent flying time in but I want to be as prepaired as possible when that comes.

Cheers

RAL INN
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Sandy Point
Favorite Beaches: Pt Danger, Torquay, Aust.
Sandy point, Aust.
Nananu-i-ra, Fiji.
Style: freeride/waves
Gear: Zeeko Krush 12m, 9m, Notus3 10m.
Bhoot130x 39 TT, Zeeko Slash surfboard
Brand Affiliation: Naish, Zeeko.
Location: Victoria, Australia./instr+retailer www.krakentours.com

Postby RAL INN » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:03 am

I'm so ugly at strapless surfboard riding and My surfboard is a soft deck, so I usually only use it in small waves and out of sight to save embarrassing myself.
so my advice is from a rank amateur. but it always seems better to me on a surf board when Unhooked, even though for me that usually is only for a few seconds.

And Unhooked usually means tensioned rear lines.

try to keep kite low as you get into launch position.

hope that helps, and get the "Smack" dvd.

richswing
Frequent Poster

Postby richswing » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:16 am

Hi Ral Inn,

My next step is going unhooked, tried it once with my Xbow - not the kite for unhooking.

I've got the Smack dvd, have not finished watching it yet, the only problem with it does not show the placement of the kite.

How does the Nano fair with going unhooked, easy to turn/ control with 1 hand?

Saw your Youtube vid, not bad power in 10knots, I had some white capping surf yesterday but my twelve needs some repairs first before I go out again, punctured LE and a couple of small tears to sort out. I have taken my 9m out in 12 to 15knots but could only do downwinder (other mates were on Waroo 16m and 12m and they were battling to stay upwind), in your vid did you maintain ground?

Cheers
Rich

Return to “Kitesurfing”