Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

SB III VS Convert

forum for kitesurfers

tirlibi
Medium Poster

SB III VS Convert

Postby tirlibi » Sat May 31, 2008 10:20 pm

I'm riding on SB III 10m, and I'm looking for change into SB III 10m or Convert 12m / 9m...
Could compare SB III 10m VS Convert (1:1 only) for :
Maniability
Speed
Jump
Hang time
Bar pressure
Low end / High end
Stability

I've tried the SB III, like the SB II it's a very nice kite, for hang time, but very slow...and i've heard that the Conver was rocking

thanks,

IWB2
Frequent Poster

Re: SB III VS Convert

Postby IWB2 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:00 am

I will base this comment assuming you meant to say that you are currently riding the SB2 (and not SB3) and are thinking about upgrading to either the 10mSB3 or the 12m Convert in 1:1.
winner =:
Manoeuvrability = SB3 10m (also turns a slight bit faster than the SB2)
Speed = SB3 10m
Jump = SB3 10m (The smaller converts are awesome for jumping but the 12m I tried was ok)
Hang time = SB3 10m
Bar pressure = Convert 12m
Low end = About the same, but the SB3 10m I think is better becuase it goes upwind fractionally better and is noticable when the wind gets really light.
High end = SB3 10m
Stability = Draw. Both kites are extremely stable (winner however but not in the comparison is the XBow)
Water relaunch speed= Convert 12m (SB3 a close 2nd)

The SB3 10m comes with 25m lines while the Converts come with 22m lines. The low end power of the Convert could drop a knot of two maybe if 25m lines were used. The Convert is a great kite for all levels as it water relaunches with no effort at all which makes learning or going for manoevers a lot easier knowing that the kite will be up in the air in no time.. My suggestion is that you try 22m lines on the SB3 as this will make the kite turn a lot faster without feeling the lines are too short. You will only lose a knot on the low end but gain about 4 or 5knots on the top end. The SB3 if used in really light winds shines over the Convert as the SB3 goes upwind so well, so no matter how many manouevers you throw, you can get back up wind in no time. The Convert really shines as it is very stable and smooth, and is great for unhooking as well as the bar pressure can be set really light. The smaller Converts 9 and down are a bit more fun as they fly very fast, jump big, good hang time, but what I like best was the unhooking as they are very forgiving!!

dksurfer
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 10
Local Beach: Lake Nipissing, North Bay, ON, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Ontario Canada, PEI Canada
Hatteras, North Carolina
Cuba
Style: TT, SB and HF
Gear: 12, 9, 7 North Dice 2016
12 OR Flite 2016
12, 9 North Evo 2014
MHL Lift Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby dksurfer » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:21 am

I have a question about the bar pressure of the SB3. According to all documentation and websites and interviews the bar pressure of the SB3 it is supposed to be very light. I demoed the SB3 several times and found the bar pressure to be very high... much more than my Contra or Crowbow.... Can any one explain this? I am not the only one to have found this issue. Some of my friends have very similar comments as well?

IWB2
Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:09 pm

I think the word "light" is very subjective when describing bar pressure. My impression is that the SB3s bar pressure would be medium, but can be tuned to feel lightish, ie using trim straps or knots on rear line. The Convert can be set up to have a lighter bar pressure than the SB3.

dksurfer
Frequent Poster
Hatteras, North Carolina
Cuba
12 OR Flite 2016
12, 9 North Evo 2014
MHL Lift Foil

Postby dksurfer » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:20 pm

That is my feeling as well... but for some reason everyone is 'raving' about how light the bar pressure is on the SB3. Yes, by de-powering the kite by either the trip strap of the rear line knots the bar pressure will diminish, but this is true for any kite!

I think that if a kite will be describe as having light bar pressure it means that the bar pressure is light while the kite is fully powered or at least well powered.

I wonder how will the bar pressure be on the new Crossbow (09). The reviews say 'the bar pressure is very light the same as the SB3'.... I am very skeptical about this, knowing that the SB3 has no light bar pressure at all.

Daniel

Kosh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 9m2
Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 13m2
Cabrinha Imperial 2008 128 board
Brand Affiliation: Promotes Cabrinha for the national distributor.

Postby Kosh » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:13 pm

dksurfer wrote:That is my feeling as well... but for some reason everyone is 'raving' about how light the bar pressure is on the SB3. Yes, by de-powering the kite by either the trip strap of the rear line knots the bar pressure will diminish, but this is true for any kite!

I think that if a kite will be describe as having light bar pressure it means that the bar pressure is light while the kite is fully powered or at least well powered.

I wonder how will the bar pressure be on the new Crossbow (09). The reviews say 'the bar pressure is very light the same as the SB3'.... I am very skeptical about this, knowing that the SB3 has no light bar pressure at all.

Daniel

Review? Where? According to Cabrinha, only prototypes exists atm.

dksurfer
Frequent Poster
Hatteras, North Carolina
Cuba
12 OR Flite 2016
12, 9 North Evo 2014
MHL Lift Foil

Postby dksurfer » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:37 pm

Listen to this post cast: http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2348625 where Peter Cabrinha raves about the low bar pressure of the SB.

fishy
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby fishy » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:03 pm

A neat feature of the Convert that is not really advertised is that it also has 2 settings in the 1:1 mode. Where the 1st and 2nd bridles attach to the leading edge you can either have them really close to the tip or slightly further up. Towards the tip it makes the kite turn slower, has less depower and less bar pressure and on the other setting (further in) the kite turns slightly quicker, has a little more depower and slightly more bar pressure ie more bow kite. I find the bar pressure very light in either mode compared to the old Xbow (2006) but tend to keep it in the latter faster mode. Not sure if the SBIII has this feature, so probably worth knowing eh. :thumb:

Kosh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 9m2
Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 13m2
Cabrinha Imperial 2008 128 board
Brand Affiliation: Promotes Cabrinha for the national distributor.

Postby Kosh » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:12 pm

dksurfer wrote:Listen to this post cast: http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2348625 where Peter Cabrinha raves about the low bar pressure of the SB.

Oh, that, can hardly call it a review....

Return to “Kitesurfing”