Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot Link Reviews?

forum for kitesurfers

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Slingshot Link Reviews?

Postby OzBungy » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:32 am

Anybody else ridden the Link? What did you think?

Kite-er
Medium Poster

Postby Kite-er » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:31 am

singlemalt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Brand Affiliation: Many

Postby singlemalt » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:34 am

jkrug
Frequent Poster

Postby jkrug » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:50 am

no offense intended to either shop above reviewing and selling the Link, but i haven't seen any reviews from 'completely unbiased' sources...anyone who actually bought the Link have a review?

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:37 am

I am particularly interested in un-biased people who rode the 12m Link on bridles in the lower end of it's range. Say 15 knots dropping occasionally to 12-10 knots.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:04 am

Yes, I did. I think I posted this on another thread already.

It'll fly in the low teens and keep you upwind, but the kite is a lot more fun in the high teens IMO. (I'm 180lbs and was on a 135x46 when it was light) Similar to a 13M Fuel but moderately better low end.

I flew it on and off on this day in the wind shown below. Had it out in the morning when it was lighter. So...you can see the wind hovered around 14/15, with gusts/lulls +/- 4mph. I also don't think the wind was as gusty as shown in the graph, fwiw.
http://i7.tinypic.com/24ms5md.jpg

Slingturn
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Slingturn » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:15 am

I tried the Link 12 in 4-line mode, back to back with my 06 Fuel 13 (5-line). Wind was around 20 knots, 4-foot surf. Although I didn't ride the Link for very long (about 20 minutes) it was interesting to compare with the Fuel 13. It seemed a bit overpowered, but controllable by sheeting out. The kite felt a bit heavier and a little slower, and there was definitely more bar pressure than the Fuel. I was quite happy to get back on my Fuel actually. I think the ideal wind for the Link 12 would be a little less than I was in. I'd be interested to hear other opinions. I definitely want to try riding one again soon.

GreenPat
Frequent Poster

Postby GreenPat » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:33 am

I want to replace my 10m airush lift and was thinking a 9m link would do that nicely. This would be my 24+ knot kite though, I'm 105kg, I wouldn't be too keen to have more power than a traditional 10 all the time. How much like an 11 is it? Will there be enough depower on 4 or 5 lines to get to 30 knots without being too overpowered?

WestCoastkiter
Medium Poster

Postby WestCoastkiter » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:38 pm

I flew the 12 link for 3 days. I currently fly spitfire 2's and 3's before these I was on Nitros. The wind on theses 3 day on the Link was about 17-18 mph. I am 190 lbs on a flx132, and I only flew it in 4 line mode. Typical SS construction Bomb proof. As far as power I felt the 12 had the low end of a 12M C kite, but the high end of a SLE. It depowers very well same as a Bow very nice, and probably good in gusty conditions. I was hoping it had the low end of a Bow and that I could make the 12M my biggest kite. Average conditions in my area are about 18 mph, so I think I would need the 15M for most days. Bar pressure was perfect just enough to feel the kite, not to light and not to heavy. I have flown the Sonic, Fuels and Octanes and I think they are a bit to light on bar pressure. I was very impressed by the turning speed very fast, but very smooth and steady. Good lift on jumps due to the fast turning speed. Powered Kiteloops are a snap I had to choke up on the bar to slow the kite and get it to drop deeper into the window. Very direct feel just like a C kite. Unhooked riding was easy. The kite didn't pull me off of my edge while unhooking like a lot of the new Bow kites do. Relaunches just like a Sonic,TD,Xbow,Contra etc. very simple just pull on one of the steering lines and up she goes. The stopper ball is very nice same as the TD. I think the Link is one of the best kites I have flown and I have flown a lot of different kite. I would definitely fly these kites on a daily basis, But at $1500 each I think I'm just going to keep waiting.
WCK

deltawake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby deltawake » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:39 pm

OzBungy wrote:I am particularly interested in un-biased people who rode the 12m Link on bridles in the lower end of it's range. Say 15 knots dropping occasionally to 12-10 knots.

I flew the link 12( in 4 line mode) in light conditions for me (190 lbs) - it was mid teens (mph). I was on a Float 133.
It felt at least as grunty as a 14m perhaps more - I was working hard to keep my 13m fuel going upwind - with the link I went upwind easily and could jump easily - not big though.
Personally I didn't love the feel - slower reacting than a C but quick to spin on it's axis for loops and it felt kinda mushy at the bar but it felt like you could feel gusts through the backlines as they hit - made the bar "wobble" back and forth a bit.
Unhooked it seemed to deliver a lot of power. The below the bar depower is a nice idea but if you try to depower while riding it's easy to pull the c- loop towards you enough to unhook without wanting to - not an issue if you use the donkey dick.
I really want to fly it on a 5th line - I thik it may be a better fit for me in that mode. For now I'll stick to my Fuel/Yarga's.
Beautifully built kite - seems tough as hell.

Return to “Kitesurfing”