Which size Ozone Edge II?

Forum for kitesurfers
Neill
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Which size Ozone Edge II?

Postby Neill » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:43 am

Ok so i love the 11m, but trying to decide which small edge II would suit my weight and wind conditions. Anyone who has experience with the new ozone edge's, gimme some advice.

i'm 65kg
125 x 36 twintip (small!)

the 11m gets me going in 10 knots, i have held onto it in 22-23 knots as well, but was starting to feel the need for a slightly smaller kite at that wind strength. I'm worried that if i get a 7, there will be too much of a gap between it and the 11, but the 9m might still be overpowering me if it's up near 25-30 knots. I'm mainly interested in jumping very very high and like to ride fairly powered. Wind strength here virtually never gets above 30 knots. The small kite would need to keep me lit from 20-30 knots mainly. whaddaya reckon?

panchito
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which size Ozone Edge II?

Postby panchito » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:22 am

easy answer ... get a 9m ( cut the lines to 20 m , use the 5m extension for when you need a better low end ) and you are ready to boost till the 30 ´s knots easily .

If you like to ride well powered up the 7m will feel a bit short around the 20 ish ( I don´t even bother pumping my 7m Edge until 25 + knots.)

So if your life is boosting as high as possible ( like me ) you need to ride one size bigger than the rest :wink:

Saludos

Franz

PS. don´t forget to pump the LE rock solid ( pump the all the kite till 7-8 PSI , close the strut valves and give a few more strokes to your LE )

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:58 pm

I agree with the 9m recommendation. 9 is just the size to have no matter what is the riders weight. I tried 7m Edge and found it too fast and going upwind way up there. You don't need that in gnarly chop and high wind.

Neill
Frequent Poster

Postby Neill » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:50 pm

Dammit! the other forum i posted this same question on, everyone recommended the 7m :(

haha maybe i'll have to get the shop to bring both in and see which one i like the best!

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:07 pm

I would buy 9m Sport and 7m Light kite only. Then you have dream quiver 11 Edge, 9 Sport and 7 Light. You not going to spend much on 7m Light kite only. I can guarantee you that 9m Sport will be your favorite and it has so much range you'll be thinking why the hell do I need the others.

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:05 pm

I agree with pancito the 9 edge2 has a huge range and I have been over powered only a handful of times mostly at the gorge and flew my 5m light. And with 20m lines it would give it even more range! Don't get a sport if you like jumping high as possible! good luck these kites are awesome! waynpjh

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:22 pm

Neill wrote:Dammit! the other forum i posted this same question on, everyone recommended the 7m :(

haha maybe i'll have to get the shop to bring both in and see which one i like the best!
That would be my answer. Try before you buy if you can. I love all the Ozone line each kite has its own character. You just have to pick what you like best.

Ozone has nailed the line up this year. Instead of making one style of kite and telling you how good it is and forcing you to like it, They make a bunch of different kites so you can choose what you want.

mikelet
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: Yes
Brand Affiliation: No

Postby mikelet » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:38 am

IMHO the 9m. ozones are the sweetest sizes from the begginig on 2006.I have 9 & 7,but i weight 83kg and find myself using the 7m. few times per year only in really nukin winds.So at your light weight the best you can do is to try the low end of the 7m in a moderate wind day to know if it fits in your quiver.
My 13m Edge2 that replaces 2006 is really awsome kite,it's a sweet beast.Super stable,turns fast,generates tons of apparent wind,upward pull,develops incredible speed.Since lower AR's are the way to go to the industry,i'm so stoked on how performs this high AR kite.Also is marketed for the average kiter,but i find it very user friendly.if you're into Race courses i firmly recommend give a try to Edge2.
A bit dissapointed on the hyped depower rope and CL.Just nothing is perfect...... :thumb:

panchito
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby panchito » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:48 pm

mikelet wrote:IMHO the 9m. ozones are the sweetest sizes from the begginig on 2006.I have 9 & 7,but i weight 83kg and find myself using the 7m. few times per year only in really nukin winds.So at your light weight the best you can do is to try the low end of the 7m in a moderate wind day to know if it fits in your quiver.
My 13m Edge2 that replaces 2006 is really awsome kite,it's a sweet beast.Super stable,turns fast,generates tons of apparent wind,upward pull,develops incredible speed.Since lower AR's are the way to go to the industry,i'm so stoked on how performs this high AR kite.Also is marketed for the average kiter,but i find it very user friendly.if you're into Race courses i firmly recommend give a try to Edge2.
A bit dissapointed on the hyped depower rope and CL.Just nothing is perfect...... :thumb:

Yeah ... I got a 13m 07 some weeks ago ( it has been of course modified :cool2: ) and wow .... that kite has real power .... and it jumps .... fantastic !!! I love it :remybussi: my mod Edge is very similar to the Edge II in handling ...but the LE of the II is a bit to thin for my taste

Regarding the depower rope .... yeah your are right ... it looks like is holding pretty good any abuse but don´t leave your fingers close to the rope while sheeting in/out ... I´ve got some good
burnings in between my fingers form that rope :cry:

Saludos

Franz

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:59 pm

panchito wrote: but the LE of the II is a bit to thin for my taste
9-10psi is just too much for regular pump. I think if they design the leading edge to take 7 psi which is between 07 and 08 that would be optimum. As far as the bar if they didn't want to take a cue from me they should look at the Cabrinha new 09 IDS system to see what the market place demands.

Return to “Kitesurfing”