Forum for kitesurfers
Rorke
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Questions about Delta kites

Postby Rorke » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:49 pm

What are the advantages to the Delta design?

How does their power per square meter compare to C's, bows, foils? Are they better for any particular style; waves, freestyle? Are there any advantages or disadvantages in regard to depower, relaunching, windrange, unhooking, snowriding? Could they make me f*cking AWESOME? :P

I have seen them in action, but have never tried one. Many brands seem to have newer Delta models so I'm interested. It's time to replace my 9m.

Thanks!

FckGravity
Frequent Poster
Style: Wakestyle/Freestyle
Gear: Flexi HadlowPro's
Brand Affiliation: Crazyfly Team Rider

Re: Questions about Delta kites

Postby FckGravity » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:01 pm

I tried the 10m Bandit Dos and i was super stoked on it (and that is considering that I HATE bridles) It didnt backstall when I unhooked and popped and then stalled like a c kite for handlepasses, I still would take a c kite over it but if you were in a gusty location it would be a pretty dope alternative

kitegrl29
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Not a local, but you can be sure to find me at Sherman Island or La Ventana.
Style: Riding Dirty
Gear: F-One Bandit Dos
F-One Trax/Demon/Signature
Brand Affiliation: Sponsored by: Bay Area Kitesurf/ F-One , Lift Kiteboarding

Postby kitegrl29 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:37 pm

I'm riding the Bandit dos and i love it...
It doesn't backstall as mentionned above, has immense range, and is supper forgiving...Relaunching's never been so easy. You just let it do its thing...
They have great selection of color's as well.. : )
&&unhooked is a blast.

FckGravity
Frequent Poster
Style: Wakestyle/Freestyle
Gear: Flexi HadlowPro's
Brand Affiliation: Crazyfly Team Rider

Postby FckGravity » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:47 pm

Only thing though is if you activate the mini 5th line it can sometimes end you session because your kite can turtle itself, sort of annoying, I just ran it on suicide

eree
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby eree » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:23 pm

It's not so simple. Delta kites have more power per sqm compared to c's and non delta SLE kites (but not always compared to foils because most foils are flatter than ILE kites) just because most of usable area of delta is concentrated in the middle and flatter area of the kite where it creates lift, not in the wingtips where it creates drag. Style, windrange and depower capability of deltas still mostly depend on how bridals support the LE, wing profile and kite's AR. So, if you have Wainman Rabbit with low AR it'll be good wave kite for sure, and Bandit is closer to c.
Only thing you'll be sure with delta is you'll pay less $,£,€ for canopy material, cause deltas have higher projected area with the same flat area as C and non-delta SLE kites.
I guess we can not totally loose wingtips and make perfectly flat ILE kites, because then we'd have great trouble relaunching kite from the water. Kite with the arc-shaped LE always has some of its parts open to the wind and above the surface while on water.

winds

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like

Postby Kevin Salter » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:06 pm

I've gone from C kites to Eclipse Nano's over the last couple of months and they have a ton of power and range and depower.

I'm only using a 6m and 9m now. The bridle setup on the Nano gives a very tight pivot turn with power which I love for wave riding.

Beach and water relaunch have never been easier and these kites deliver smooth constant power all over the wind window.

They never backstall and keep flying forward really well

The Nano's are set up for wake style/waves. They are lower aspect and don't have the same boost as a Rev or Thruster for example, but they just make everything so damn easy :D :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”