Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

going toeside with your weak foot forward

forum for kitesurfers

melomaine
Rare Poster

going toeside with your weak foot forward

Postby melomaine » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:27 pm

Hey all, I'm able to kite toeside with my right foot forward with ease but when I try to go left foot forward I end up losing all speed. I'm goofy footed on a skateboard (right foot forward), would practicing skateboarding left foot forward help me nail the problem?
Thanks for any inputs...

waveknave
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: going toeside with your weak foot forward

Postby waveknave » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:47 am

your probably putting too much pressure on your backfoot, as well as edging too hard. try to keep your weight more forward.

yep, practicing on the skateboard would help, but that concrete hurts waaay more than water. ugh.

assmaster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby assmaster » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:06 am

skateboarding switch isnt really going to help much, i skateboard alot and going switch skateboarding is completley different. i would say its all just practice kiting for you and working out how to lean against the kite on your switch toe. maybe try it unhooked first going downwind more to get the feel of things.
p.s. i would say switch toeside is the hardest way you could ride a kiteboard, well that or switch blind.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:04 am

It's really just a question of practice....
Think back to when you were first trying to go toeside...
You were probably as bad then, but insisted becasue you needed to know how to go toeside at least one way.
It could also be the angle of the chop compared to the wind messing you up.

Anyway work on it when you are really powered up.

I've been riding a real small Directional board a Spleene Zone and despite doing fine toeside on
a twin tip I was no good toeside on the Zone. Now I can almost go upwind better toeside than
heel side on the Zone. I just kept insisting. Now I like you have to work on Toeside the other way.

Start by getting it down while going downwind, even very downwind. Do that by doing a downwind slalom sort of thing. Then carve more each turn until you just hold your ground.

Soon you will be an ambidextrous toe-sider :thumb:

gonewiththewind
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gonewiththewind » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:36 am

The next time you're successfully cruising around toeside, really take stock of your body position, etc. How are you twisting at the waist? How are your legs bent? How far forward are you leaning? Really make a mental picture of the various elements of your body position and then try to recreate them on the other side. Sounds obvious, but it does help. Toeside in your favored direction comes more naturally, but riding switch, you really need to focus a bit more on the technique to make it work. Try to copy what you're doing successfully on the other side by focusing on the details, NOT the feel, because it will feel different.

BullsShit.com
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Moks', Kailua, Town
Favorite Beaches: Town
Style: old school
Gear: Eclipse Thruster 8, 12. Nano 6
Underground 128 /39 (custom) 07(08)
Mystic harness, Blue Planet shorts, Off Da Lip rash guard
Victoria Secret under wear
Brand Affiliation: being a good friend

Postby BullsShit.com » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:09 pm

it does not make any sense, but I can't do it either.
Seems odd every-time I try,..then I just switch and don't really care.
But it's true, once you find your way, that's it. Either you are goofy or regular.
Not many can do both equally well.
That's why some surfers are just better one way only.

What does not make any sense is, I am goofy, right handed. My strong leg is the left one, for steering and control...in my op. My right leg just points the way.
It's all mental..

When I was snowboarding(like 20 years ago) , I was regular by the way (did not know better I guess)

Return to “Kitesurfing”