Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

PKRA Portugal 2008 - All Press Releases

Postby Toby » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:39 pm

Praia de Alvor (9 July 2008)

With an awesome support from the kiteboarding community around the world, the Professional Kiteboard Riders Association (PKRA) – the globally recognized professional kiteboarding organization is once again here in Portugal to host two major kiteboarding events – the Kite Masters Portimão World Tour 2008 and the second annual Kiteboard Course Racing World Tour. The former, dubbed the “most challenging” kiteboarding competition brings together some of the best freestyle kiteboarders competing in a different group format while the course racing competition is a true test of wit and endurance where some of the hardest-hitting kiteboard-racing actions of the PKRA World Tour unfolds. These premium events will run until the 13th of July here at Praia de Alvor, Portimão south of Portugal.

port day1-92.jpg
port day1-92.jpg (157.93 KiB) Viewed 4486 times

Today marked the opening day of these prestigious events with a warm, perfect weather greeting the competition, although the much sought-after wind which fuels the games was late to arrive. After a long period of waiting, the games started at 4:00 pm with the course racing events hitting the waters, finishing the first to last race over a period of 3 hours. The races took about 15 – 20 minutes each under light and variable winds of 8-16 knots.

“After a long wait for the wind, we finally got some gust coming through and decided to go for a 4 o’clock start,” said race director Olaf Van Tol.

In the highlights of today’s races, French legend and North Kiteboarding’s Charles Deleau (FRA) won the last two races, only loosing the first race to Best Kiteboarding’s Sami Gali (ESP). The two-time world champion now leads the pack in the men’s division with 3.4 points followed by Gali’s 4.7 who had an early lead in the first race.

“I had a very impressive day. We tried the new board for the first time in the competition so we’ll know where we are compared to the other ones. My best race was the first one, then in the second race I dropped dramatically in the middle because I was sinking in a small board which made me change boards in the third race,” said Gali, who currently ranks 3rd in the course racing standings.

Another North kiteboarding legend, Sean Farley (MEX) is currently in third place with 10 points. The second race proved to be the most challenging for the racers with only eight competitors crossing the line out of 17.

In the women’s division, Best Kiteboarding’s Gina Esteva (ESP) had two early leads, winning the first two races ahead of North’s Steph Bridge (GBR) and Cabrinha’s Fabienne D’Ortoli (FRA) who finished second and third overall respectively. Bridge, who won the 2007 Course Racing World Championship crossed the finish line first in the last race ahead of the five women in the event.

“We started the race in super light winds but ended up with stronger winds so I finished with a 3-2-1 position for the three races, improving in each race,” said Bridge.

The Kite Masters Portimáo World Cup 2008 is presented by the GEST Group under the general direction of Erich Steffen with Eduardo Piloni as the event coordinator. The event is sponsored by the City of Portimão and supported by Radio Comercial, Lipton tea, Planet Kiteboarding and Expoarade.

Tomorrows mandatory riders meeting is scheduled for 1:00 pm.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Re: PKRA Portugal 2008 - All Press Releases

Postby Toby » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:40 pm

Praia de Alvor (10 July 2008)

“Today I got my gear, and I was doing a little better. It’s actually a brand new board that I was riding. I’m not even that used to it but I was improving on my angle although it’s not even closed to Charles’ angle and I’m below Sami’s angle as well. Overall, speed over course I think I’m pretty fast on that board so I was able to catch up quite a bit on the downwind run. The first race I was in third most of the way until the last downwind leg and that’s where I passed Sami so I came in second behind Charles. On the last race, I got ahead on the downwind leg since the beginning then I led pretty much the second or third part of the race. Towards the end Charles caught back up going upwind and he came in for the win towards the end,” said Farley.

“Unfortunately I only went from being third on what was not my gear to second today, but that’s good enough as long as I keep jumping up a position and hopefully tomorrow there will be two first at least,” continued the current overall PKRA World Course Racing points leader.

Best Kiteboarding’s Sami Gali (ESP) finished 3rd and 4th in today’s two races respectively but still maintains second position overall. Takoon racer Bruno Sroka (FRA) did a better performance in today’s last race compared to his previous races so far, finishing 3rd ahead of Gali after failing to finish in the first round.

The women’s division is still dominated by North’s Steph Bridge (GBR) who crossed the finish line ahead of the other women in the pack. Best Kiteboarding’s Gina Esteva (ESP) finished 2nd and 3rd while Cabrinha’s Fabienne D’Ortoli (FRA) finished 3rd and 2nd in both races respectively. Overall, Bridge is still leading the tally sheet with 4.1 points, followed by Esteva with 5.4 points and D’Ortoli with 10 points.

During race number one, the wind steadily picked up speed which prompted the riders to rig or change to smaller kites for the second race.

After the course races, the Freestyle event started at 4:30 pm. Seven heats for the men and three heats for the women were ran in the first round-robin round then another seven heats for the men and another three heats for the women were completed before the day was called off at 7:30 pm.

In the Freestyle event, the competitor had to do a board-off trick to qualify. For the men, both feet had to be off the board (complete board off) and one foot off the board for the women to earn points.

port day2-1.jpg
port day2-1.jpg (115.5 KiB) Viewed 1156 times

In the first heat of the first round, Sebastien Garat (FRA) won against Fabio Martins (POR) with higher technical difficulty level and better board off tricks, including 2 board-offs, front side with aerial handle pass, mobe, kiteloop handle pass and KGB. Martins had a kiteloop, front roll, one board-off and front roll board-off. In Heat #2, course racing champion and freestyler Charles Deleau (FRA) scored 2-0 against Danilo Nacarato (POR) with a front roll tail grab board-off and slim. Nacarato did not manage to do a board-off trick but landed a 313, indy glide, kiteloop and KGB. Ironically, Deleau lost to New Caledonian Tom Hebert in heat #6 who did 3 board-offs plus a kite loop air pass compared to Deleau’s 2 board-offs while Nacarato succumbed to the riding ability of PKRA top-seeded Kevin Langeree in heat #7.

The match between Nick Jacobsen (DEN) and Gonzalo Gomes (POR) in heat #3 did not produce any points as both riders did not manage to land a board-off trick. Meanwhile, Joao Fontainhas (POR) defeated Forest Bakker (ESP) in heat #4 with a kung fu, board-off, back to blind kiteloop, raley to blind and kiteloop. Baker landed three kiteloops, raley to blind and back to blind kiteloop.

In the fifth heat, Borja Rodriguez (ESP) landed only two kiteloops without any board-off and lost to Rui Meira (POR) who landed a board-off, mobe, front mobe 180.

In the second round robin, Jacobsen managed to redeem himself with a win against Martins with a blind judge, one board-off, board-off and mobe against Martin’s 3 one footer board offs and kiteloop.

Nacarato managed to seal a win in heat #9 against Baker who landed a raley, kiteloop and tail grab with no board off against Nacarato’s indy, slim, blind judge and board off. Jacobsen also lost to Meira in the 10th heat with a slim board-off against Meira’s one footer, board off, blind judge, KGB and an s-bend with front side handle-pass 360 on the way down.

Baker also lost to Hebert in heat #11 with Herbert winning with higher technical difficulty doing three board-offs with the board in between legs and overhead, plus a kiteloop. Baker managed an indy, kiteloop and back roll transition with no board-off. Rodriguez also lost in the 12th and 14th heat against Gomes and Garat respectively because of lack of board-off tricks.

In the women’s division, Johara Sykes-Davies defeated Steph Bridge 2-0 in the first heat with Davies landing a front roll with tail grab, raley and one board-off against Bridge’s one board-off and front one footer. Ironically, Davies lost to Cabrinha’s Susi Mai (GER) in the 4th heat, landing a front roll, tail grab one footer. Mai surpassed Davies in technical difficulty, landing a front roll, board-off, tail grab and front one footer.

Naish rider Jalou Langeree (NED) lost to Mai in the second heat with less variation and power. The German ace kiteboarder landed one footer, board off, front roll, raley and blind judge against Langeree’s indy, krypt and one footer. However, Langeree managed to win heat #5 against Bridge with a raley and krypt surface pass against Bridge’s indy grab, back to blind with kiteloop, and krypt tail grab. In contrast, Angela Peral (ESP) lost both of her heats today, one against Laura Fernandez (ESP) in heat #3 and another against Sykes-Davies in heat #6, finishing the last heat with no board-off trick.

Tomorrow’s skippers meeting will start at 1:00 pm with first possible start at 1:30 pm.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:44 pm

Praia de Alvor (11 July 2008)

The third day of extreme kiteboarding competition here in Portimão, Portugal concludes after a perfect day of pure adrenalin rush and heart-pumping kitesurfing action. The compulsory riders meeting on the beach started right on schedule at 1:00 pm with the race starting at 1:30 pm. The wind was already picking up earlier in the day so the Course Racing event led off with two races first, followed by the Kite Masters tournament before ending the day with one final race. Although the wind velocity was not as strong as yesterday, it was very much consistent throughout the day.

port day3-3.JPG
port day3-3.JPG (111.54 KiB) Viewed 1151 times

In today’s events highlights, the North team once again dominated today’s games grabbing the first and second place finishes in two out of three races. Charles Deleau (FRA) is still on top of the scoreboard after eight races. Deleau finished today’s first two course races ahead of everybody else but was disqualified in the third because a kite tangle at the start. His teammate, Sean Farley (MEX) came in second place on the first two runs followed by Best Kiteboarding’s Sami Gali (ESP). Farley was not able to finish the final race and with the two North riders out of contention, the Spanish champion took the opportunity to cross the finish line in first place followed by Naish’s Wilson Veloso (BRA) and Takoon’s Bruno Sroka (FRA). Another North rider, Dirk Hanel (GER) finished in fourth place.

Overall Standing After Eight Races:

1. Charles Deleau (FRA, North) - 4.2 pts.
2. Sami Gali (ESP, Best) – 11.4 pts.
3. Sean Farley (MEX, North) – 14 pts.
4. Bruno Sroka (FRA, Takoon) – 23 pts.
5. Dirk Hanel (GER, North) – 26 pts.

In the women’s races, North’s Steph Bridge (GBR) is still way ahead of everyone else in the scoreboard chart, also winning today’s first two races and finishing third in the final race. Best Kiteboarding’s Gina Esteva (ESP) trails Bridge in second place after being disqualified in the first race of the day before finishing second in the last two races. Cabrinha’s Fabienne D’Ortoli (FRA) had her best finish of the event so far crossing the finish line ahead of all the women in the last race after finishing 2nd and 3rd in Race 1 and 2 respectively.

After eight races, the North team still dominates the race with both Bridge and Deleau on top of the women’s and men’s scoreboard respectively.

The first two course races finished by 3:00 pm then switched over to the Kite Masters Tournament which lasted until 5:30 pm. A total of 12 heats for the men and 4 heats for the women were completed.

First to run the heats in today’s Kite Masters Tournament were Charles Deleau (FRA) against top seed Kevin Langeree (NED) who won the heat with 3 board-offs, mobe, KGB and slim. The multi-disciplined French rider did 2 board-offs and a KGB but won against Forest Bakker (ESP) in heat #19. Langeree also defeated New Caledonian Tom Hebert in heat #21 with 2 board-offs, mobe, 313, KGB, front mobe and s-bend to blind with aerial handle pass against Hebert’s rodeo flip to disco twist and rail flip board offs, slim, and KGB. After defeating Hebert, Langeree went up against Bakker, clearly out-styling the young Spaniard rider with a blind judge 3, mobe, board-off, and a dead man 360.

Fabio Martins (POR), who still have to win in the Tournament lost to Gonzalo Gomes (POR) in heat #16. Martins landed a one-footer but no complete board-off against Gomes who landed a board-off tail grab and slim.

In the 17th heat, Danilo Nacarato (POR) grabbed his second win of the Tournament against countryman Joao Fotainhas (POR) with a board-off, raley, slim and mobe. Fotainhas landed a s-bend, slim, kiteloop and kiteloop with aerial handle pass but no board-off. In the following heat, Mads Johansen (DEN) won with a board-off and mobe against Borja Rodriguez (ESP).

In the 20th heat, local champ Rui Meira (POR) lost to Sebastien Garat (FRA) who landed 2 board-offs, a front mobe, blind judge with aerial handle pass, slim, 313, and a kiteloop handle pass winning with more variation and power. The French athlete then clearly overwhelmed Borja Rodriguez (ESP) in the next heat with 4 board-offs (board flip), slim and raley, with the young Spaniard managing to land only two kiteloops. Before the day was over, Garat added one more to his roster of downed rider after defeating Jacobsen in heat #25 with a 313, KGB and slim.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:46 pm

Praia de Alvor (12 July 2008)

The spectacular kiteboarding competition here in Portimão, Spain dubbed the Kite Masters Portimão World Tour 2008 continues on its 4th day with the wind averaging 15-20 knots under clear skies with the temperature pegged at 24° Celsius. The course racing event got underway at 1:00 pm followed by the Freestyle tournament and one final race before concluding the day at 7:00 pm.

The Course Racing scoreboard is now a one-two North team on the top composed of Charles Deleau (FRA) in first place, who won today’s 1st and 2nd races and Sean Farley (MEX) now in second place after winning race #3 and coming in second in the other two races. Farley overtook Best Kiteboarding’s Sami Gali (Spain) who is now in 3rd place overall after finishing 3rd in the first two races and coming in 4th in race #3. Another North racer – Dirk Hanel (GER) remains in 4th place overall while Takoon’s Bruno Sroka (FRA) completes the top 5.

port day4-1.jpg
port day4-1.jpg (52.92 KiB) Viewed 1138 times

No change in the women’s division racing scoreboard as North Kiteboarding’s Steph Bridge (GBR) still manages to cling onto the top position overall even after finishing 3rd in race #1 and 2nd in race #3. The North racer finished 1st in race #2 with a total of 11.2 points after 11 races. Best Kiteboarding’s Gina Esteva (Spain) is still in second place with 15.7 points after finishing 2nd in race #1 and #2. Cabrinha’s Fabienne D’Ortoli (FRA) occupies third place with 17.1 points overall.

In some of the highlights of the Kite Masters Tournament women’s division, Jalou Langeree (NED) defeated Johara Sykes-Davies in the 11th heat with a krypt to sent handle pass and an indy glide against Davies who broke her foot on a front roll kite loop rendering her to miss the next three Tour stops at least. Meanwhile, powered by a Naish kite, Langeree moved on to out-seat Laura Fernandez (ESP) in the 13th heat with a raley, front to surface pass and front transition against the kiteloop and two front rolls of Fernandez. In the 15th heat, Fernandez managed to make a comeback by defeating Bridge via technical aspects landing a raley to surface pass, raley and kiteloop.

In the 12th heat, Angela Peral (ESP) outplayed Steph Bridge (GBR) in a show of technical moves that saw Peral landing a 1 footer and 2 front rolls, raley, downloop to blind and raley to blind. Bridge landed an indy tail grab, dead man and backloop kiteloop. In the 14th heat, Peral again upgraded her bid to the podium by defeating Susi Mai (GER) with 2 one-footers, raley to blind, front to blind, downloop to blind and raley while Mai landed a front roll tail grab, one-footer, kiteloop, raley to toeside and raley to blind.

In the men’s Kite Master Tournament division, Fabio Martins (POR) lost to Rui Meira (POR) who landed a blind judge, back and tail grab against Martins’ front roll in heat #27. Martins clearly outclassed by Meira in this heat. In the next heat, Tom Herbert (New Caledonia) defeated local boy Danilo Nacarato (POR) with power and variation. Herbert landed a rail flip board off, KGB, raley to blind and slim against Nacarato’s raley, s-bend, slim, blind judge with aerial handle pass, and tail grab board off.

port day4-9.jpg
port day4-9.jpg (61.03 KiB) Viewed 1131 times

In the last two heats before the semi-finals, Gonzalo Gomes (POR) lost to Sebastien Garat (FRA) who landed a superman, blind judge 3, mobe, hasselhoff, slim chance and 313. Gomes nevertheless landed a back to wrapped, s-bend and kung fu.

Meanwhile, Kevin Langeree (NED) added two more points to his scoreboard by simply outmaneuvering and outclassing Joao Fotainhas (POR) with a mobe, blind judge with aerial handle pass, front and tail board-off, KGB, and 313. Fotainhas landed a kiteloop, raley to blind, tail grab, slim plus one board-off.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:57 pm

Results!

Course Racing Men:

1. Charles Deleau (FRA, North)
2. Sean Farley (MEX, North)
3. Sami Gali (ESP, Best)

day4-8.jpg
day4-8.jpg (89.47 KiB) Viewed 1120 times

Course Racing Women:

1. Steph Bridge (GBR, North)
2. Gina Esteva (Spain, Best)
3. Fabienne D’Ortoli (FRA, Cabrinha)

day4-7.jpg
day4-7.jpg (101.5 KiB) Viewed 1118 times

Freestyle Men:

1. Kevin Langeree (Netherlands, Naish)
2. Sebastian Garat (France, RRD)
3. Rui Meira (Portugal, Naish)

day4-11.jpg
day4-11.jpg (103.09 KiB) Viewed 1115 times

Freestyle Women:

1. Susi Mai (GER, Cabrinha)
2. Jalou Langeree (NED, Naish)
3. Laura Fernandez (Spain, Cabrinha)

day4-9.jpg
day4-9.jpg (105.44 KiB) Viewed 1116 times

Praia de Alvor (13 July 2008)

The Kite Masters World Tour in Portimao, Portugal comes to a close under a bright, sunny weather but the wind was absent for more than half of the day. Around 2:30 in the afternoon, the wind blew at an acceptable speed to finally start a race. However, halfway through the racing competition, the wind decided to switch direction and came to a grinding halt so the kites went down in the water and the race was abandoned. At 4:00 pm, the wind had returned and stabilized which prompted the continuation of the final racing day.

Immediately after the racing events, an expression session was organized for the crowd watching on the beach where Sebastien Garat (FRA), Tom Herbert (New Caledonia), Kevin Langeree (NED), Susi Mai (GER) and Rui Meira (POR) went out on the water to show off for the crowd. The expression session lasted until 5:00 pm and the awards ceremony was held at 6:00 pm.

Here are the final results from yesterday’s Freestyle competition:

Women:

Susi Mai (GER) vs. Jalou Langeree (NED)

Mai went up against Jalou Langeree who automatically advanced to the final in the absence of Johara Sykes-Davies who suffered an injury yesterday and wasn’t able to compete. Mai took home the women’s Freestyle title in the women’s division with a tail grab, one-footer, board-off tail flip, krypt, and front roll with a one-footer. A total of three board-offs was the deciding factor for the judges. Langeree landed a one-footer, tail grab, raley, krypt surface handle pass, raley to blind and s-bend. Congratulations to ExtremeElements.TV host Susi Mai for taking home the 2008 Kite Masters World Tour title in the women’s division!

Men:

Kite Masters defending champion Kevin Langeree (NED) took on local champion Rui Meira (POR) in the 2nd semi-final round. Langeree won the heat with a mobe 5, 313, blind judge with aerial handle pass, KGB, front mobe, s-bend, two board-off’s and a switch mobe. Meira on the other hand, landed a non-inverted slim chance, blind judge with aerial handle pass, front mobe, KGB and board-off. Judges scored this heat very close with a 2-1 decision in favor of Langeree.

In the fight for 3rd place, Tom Herbert (2nd in semi-final #1) clashed with Rui Meira (2nd in semi-final #2) in an exciting heat in favor of the Portuguese champion. Meira landed a front mobe, KGB, two board-offs, two huge mobe 5s, non-inverted slimchance and 313.

Congratulations to Susi Mai and Kevin Langeree for winning this year’s 2008 championship!

Men:
1. Kevin Langeree (NED, Naish)
2. Sebastian Garat (FRA, RRD)
3. Rui Meria (POR)

Women:
1. Susi Mai (GER, Cabrinha)
2. Jalou Langeree (NED, Naish)
3. Laura Fernandez (ESP, Cabrinha)

In the Course Racing event, two North riders grabbed the top two podium spots. Charles Deleau (FRA) emerged the 2008 Course Racing champion with a total of 7.6 points after winning 8 out of 12 races overall. His teammate, Sean Farley (MEX) won the last two races which put him in 2nd place overall with a total of 16.4 points. In 3rd place is Sami Gali (ESP) powered by a Best kite garnering a total of 19.4 points after 12 races followed by last year’s champion Bruno Sroka (FRA) tied with Dirk Hanel (GER) in 4th place.

Men’s Top 5 Course Racing finishers:

1. Charles Deleau (FRA, North) – 7.6 points
2. Sean Farley (MEX, North) – 16.4 points
3. Sami Gali (ESP, Best) – 19.4 points
4. Bruno Sroka (FRA, Takoon) – 37 points
5. Dirk Hanel (GER, North) – 37 points

In the women’s races, Steph Bridge (GBR) of North Kiteboarding clearly emerged the winner with seven 1st places finishes out of 12 races for a total of 8.9 points. Gina Esteva (ESP) had a total of 15.7 points in 2nd place while Fabienne D’Ortoli (FRA) is in 3rd place with 16.1 points.

Women’s Top 5 Course Racing finishers:

1. Steph Bridge (GBR, North) – 8.9 points
2. Gina Esteva (ESP, Best) – 15.7 points
3. Fabienne D’Ortoli (FRA, Cabrinha) – 16.1 points
4. Angela Peral (ESP, North) - 48 points
5. Johara Sykes-Davies (GBR, Flexifoil) – 50 points

Congratulations to all the winners of the 2008 Course Racing World Tour!

The Kite Masters Portimáo World Cup 2008 is presented by the GEST Group under the general direction of Erich Steffen with Eduardo Piloni as the event coordinator. The event is sponsored by the City of Portimão and supported by Radio Comercial, Lipton tea, Planet Kiteboarding and Expoarade. The next event will be Fuerteventura, Spain for the sixth stop of the PKRA 2008 World Tour which will run from July 29 to August 2. See you all in Fuerte!

Return to “Kitesurfing”