Did a training kite help you?

forum for kitesurfers

surfhorn
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Brand Affiliation: None

Did a training kite help you?

Postby surfhorn » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:25 am

Just an informal poll. If you used a training kite before or while learning to kiteboard, did it help and in what ways? I find that while some of the flight characteristics are the same, it's very limited as a learning tool. Better to spend an hour or two on a friend's trainer and then spend the $100+ dollars that would have spend on the trainer on more lessons.

That being said, I take my trainer everywhere that I won't have a chance to kiteboard. It's a nice excuse to get out of the house, especially when visting my wife's relatives.

Also, what brand of trainer did you buy and why that particular brand? Mine's a Slingshot B2. It was a good deal on eBay (~ $100).

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Re: Did a training kite help you?

Postby Tom183 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:50 am

Hell yes it was helpful - I did buggying and snowkiting for a season before doing kitesurfing, and I didn't need to know how to relaunch. Crashed the kite twice during the first two attempts to get up on the board, didn't do it again until after I started jumping.

You're not ready for the big kite until you can keep one in the air without looking at it - otherwise, you're endangering yourself and others.

surfhorn
Rare Poster

Postby surfhorn » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:38 am

Wait, did your trainer have an inflatable leading edge? I'm not sure how you can practice relaunching with a trainer.

mrlaroo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: A-Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: RRD,Best, Nobile

Postby mrlaroo » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:01 am

I had the purschased the best trainer 3m and it helped a lot without a doubt. If I would have had more money I would of bought the 3m waroo from best so then you can get used to a real bar and no some janker. I have the 5m for my really high wind kite and that also serves as a trainer as well for others, good luck and its well worth it.

Scribbler
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Scribbler » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:57 am

Flexifoil Blade... 4 line foil kite on handles... great training tool, reverse launch, depowerable (kind of) and powerful for its size

Great training tool, meant I could focus on boardskills instead of kiteskills once in the water.

lalawyer
Frequent Poster

Postby lalawyer » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:24 pm

Absolutely. I bought two trainers before moving up to standard kites. Ist one was a little 2-3M, 2nd one was a 5M. Both were foils. After feeling comfortable with the 5M I jumped into lessons and felt much more comfortable flying.

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Wetstuff » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:15 pm

Alternative opinion. It's like riding around in a pedal-car.

...then be handed the keys

A 2-3M Slingy foil won't teach you sh/t. And if you cannot intellectualize: Pull Right = Go Right from this sentence; then stay the hell away from anywhere other people kite because you will ruin it for them.

...and laying on the grass flying your foil with your eyes closed is Bullsh/t. Totally meaningless.. (I did it - I know.)

There is no parallel to Doing It. The only good way - is to have a legitimate instructor standing next to you tell you what you are about to experience with a real kite - then feeling it.

We have a local instructor Gary who taught his old girlfriend. He gave her such confidence that when guys are standing around with their ball shrunk to the size of raisins, hemming and hawing about a 9 or 10, she's already asking for a launch of her 12.

....BTW: A great small kite is a 5-line, 5M Slingy Fuel. It's a Pony compared to a Percheron but pullin' little sucker. I'm sure there are others...

jIM

mathieu leheilleix
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dolphin Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Ras Sudr, Egypt
Style: Free style
Gear: Cab

Postby mathieu leheilleix » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:37 pm

Don't buy one: I think it's a waste of cash: rather spend the money on lessons with an IKO instructor.
Make sure that there aren't more than 2 students per instructor. You will fly a trainer kite for your first lesson anyway.

Good luck

surf-turkey
Frequent Poster

Postby surf-turkey » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:56 am

Huge waste of time and money. Just get a common size for your area and start by taking it out in lighter winds. You may also hear, get a small kite and big board for starting out on. Don't do it, waste of money and time.

afflatus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby afflatus » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:23 am

Well, there ya go

Three in a row--

I hate trainer kites at the beach, just obnoxious...

There's been a lot of talk lately about lessons...

In my opinion there's nothing more dangerous than trainer kites and safety talk.

1. you're in for big surprise first time out in wind with full sized kite...and since you're beach trained you're going to be in the worst possible place to discover how really unprepared you are.

(thanks to a sand swami)

Most early kiters came from a solid waterman background, they windsurfed---that's half the battle;

dealing with real power, taking hits and having to manage yourself under pressure.

you cannot be taught that, you have to earn that, and it takes time, water-time.

Now a days totally clueless dudes are thrown into the grinder with nothing but trainer kites and talk...

I cannot think of anything more irresponsible.

After long deliberation I desided, ok? maybe some little rag on some strings might be better than talk alone...

But that's all can say...

did I mention I hate trainer kites, just so worthless / obnoxious...

EH?

What are you going do?

That's all that's out there---mostly

you need to find out what's up well away from trouble (boat lessons)

Return to “Kitesurfing”