Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Are there alternatives to Spleene Session?

forum for kitesurfers

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Are there alternatives to Spleene Session?

Postby Dr_Rosen » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:49 pm

I have decided to sell my Skywalker 135x47.5 cm, and (probably) get a Spleene Session instead.
Reason: The Skywalker does plane earlier - but at least for me, I can't go upwind well enough on it. Thus looking for something a little longer and better at going upwind.
Still want a fun board to do trickes etc. with it (backrolls, kiteloops etc) - thus not just going forth and back on a Door.

My weight 95 kg (210 lbs) - biggest kite RRD HT2 15m.

Is Session THE ANSWER or are there alternatives??

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Are there alternatives to Spleene Session?

Postby Frankieboy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:20 pm

isn't there a big nobile 555? I tried a 130x39 and remember it as beeing very stiff, which is good for lightwind and upwindability.
Or the new FLX, I just read there would be a 143x43 or something. Dunno if it is stiff though

Or go custom. They can build stiff boards...

Other ideas? I am also interested...

Frank

poul
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Løkken, Tranum, Hou, Øster Hurup, Trend, Kjul, Egense, Nibe, Øsløs, Uggerby and Gjøl.
Favorite Beaches: "Flaget" at Læsø, Øsløs and Uggerby.
Style: A bit of everything
Gear: Rhino08 12, 16, Liquid force Hifi 2009 9-12-15
Magic wave 134x41, Liquid force WLF Ltd 145x46 2009

Postby poul » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:31 pm

The spleene are not without vices when we are talking about the fun part: In chop it can spray you face (at least the 2006 version did this, I think the later versions has improved in this regard) and it is also very smoot when you land from jumps. Unless you create an edge it will just give away.

For these reasons I sold my spleene session 2006 and bought a Nobile 666Ext 143x48. It proved to have the same lowend effectiveness as the Session, and it is also good going upwind. It looks much like your skywalker, but is a bit longer.
The downside of the Nobile is that it is a bit on the heavy side (It is not extreme, I could live with this) and that the straps does not work well (This I could not live with) I am a shoe user. For this reason I have just sold the Nobile. I lost more than a new set of straps would have cost, but I am always eager to try something new.

If you wait a month or so I can tell you how an Underground FLX 148 2008 works. (Oh, it might have changed to a FLX 144). But so far I am most pleased with the Nobile while it work as a normal frestyle board, just bigger and with more lowend.

But see if you can try some boards first. The spleene session is not a boring board to sail, it is very fast, but it is best on flat water.

Good luck with you new board,

Poul

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:41 pm

yeah, what you say about the Session 06 is exactly what I experienced with the Door64 '06. Also sold it. And I found the straps to be really unconfy, even hurting...

Also it sucked to the water when jumping. How is the session in this regard?

Is the session stiff or flexy?

Thanks

Frank

ps: let us know about the FLX, I am very curious...

poul
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Løkken, Tranum, Hou, Øster Hurup, Trend, Kjul, Egense, Nibe, Øsløs, Uggerby and Gjøl.
Favorite Beaches: "Flaget" at Læsø, Øsløs and Uggerby.
Style: A bit of everything
Gear: Rhino08 12, 16, Liquid force Hifi 2009 9-12-15
Magic wave 134x41, Liquid force WLF Ltd 145x46 2009

Postby poul » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:56 pm

Oh, now you mentioned it the Session could also such to the water. But it was not often it did it, and I did not regard it as a big problem. It was something you could deal with.

Flex: I my opinion it has exactly the amount of flex it should have. I assume you could call that stiff. But the corners was soft enough to provide you with a good control up to strong wind.

Regards Poul

Cortex
Frequent Poster

Postby Cortex » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:08 am

The 2007 Session is a lot more fun then the 2006, I think it has a tad more rocker and the flex-tips are further developed... and the straps/pads are really nice as well.

Anyway, the 2008 will be fun to try out.

BTW, there are of course a bunch of other fun 2008-boards coming out that will be fun to try as well.

2talented
Frequent Poster

Postby 2talented » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:34 am

Dr. say it aint so. I love my skywalker. No, it doesnt have the low end of the Glides etc. But man! with my 12m waroo it gets me going upwind in 12mph and on sunday I was riding with it no problem in 22+. It is light and flexible enough to give it good pop. I dont hesitate to throw loops with it because although "skatey" the landings are real smooth. With that said, you should probably check out the aggression boards. the door is a good compromise 140x46
Attachments
barn door 140x46.jpg
barn door 140x46.jpg (35.43 KiB) Viewed 2660 times

patrick28
Rare Poster

Postby patrick28 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:34 am

i was on north sky pro 136*41cm before, but got my new aboards z-series 133cm 2 weeks ago. the board is good balance between stiffness and flex. but one thing what i have not understood before is special upwinders at ends of board that allows the board maneuvre like small fun board,but go upwind as a big one. imo this is good all round material for some freestyle and some freeride.

North_Wind
Frequent Poster

Postby North_Wind » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:55 am

I own a Session and tried a Nobile EXT before I purchased it. For me the Session was the better board. I have no problem jumping/popping the session and I love the footstraps.

In fact I liked it so much "I bought the company" (not quite, but I did by the Rip in two sizes also), so I now own a "quiver" of Spleenes.

Good luck with your choice.

North Wind

just do it
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Airush Varial-X, Airush Apex
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby just do it » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:12 am

The most direct comparrison to your Skywalker would maybe be the new RIPMAX 140-47. However all boards that are short and extremely wide need a bit more skill to be ridden in light winds.
The Spleene Doors and Sessions are super easy to get onto the plane and to go upwind with, thanks to their parabolic outline which gives them a long contact edge. Like Cortex said since 2007 the Session is much easier to ride in chop as it has more curve in the tips and also more rocker.
The other alternative would be the RIPPLUS 138-44. This board was very successful for us last year and covers a massive windrange. We felt it planed pretty much as early as the Session 141-43 with the Session having the edge on upwind ability and the RIPPLUS having the edge on allround performance, top end and freestyle suitability.

Return to “Kitesurfing”