vtjay79
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Brigantine, NJ
Brand Affiliation: None

Kite n00b needs help please.

Postby vtjay79 » Fri May 02, 2008 6:41 pm

Hello,

Thanks for visiting my post! Just to get a few things out of the way, I have never kite surfed. I took one lesson (on land) and want to jump in head first!

However, my kite instructor, has little time to answer e-mails as she travels all over the east coast during the year. She said she would get back to me 2 weeks ago. I have since decided to appeal to the world for my answers.

I am 28 years old. I'm a "fat" wrestler. I weigh about 188lbs, 5'7, super stocky, should weigh about 162 if i were in great shape.

I have surfed for 20 years, snowboarded for 11, skateboarded for 6 years before quitting 6 years ago, I'm an avid Rip-Sticker, I've mastered a balance board, and used to fly a 4 line stunt kite 15+ years ago. (kite instructor said i was a natural with the small trainer kite)

I own a summer vacation home on a little island off the coast of Atlantic City. Wind doesnt usually get too high in the summer (which I really only go when its "nice" weather). So i anticipate very low wind.

I'm a junky for anything "extreme" and i do not mind paying close to top dollar for things. I really am more interested in the jumping aspect (which is contradictory to low winds i'm guessing)

So here is the gear i was planning on getting minus the kite:

- Mystic Warrior Waist harness (2007, or 2008 any preference?)
- Crazy Fly Raptor Pro board (141 x 39) (that a good size?)

As for the kite, i'm in the dark. I've tried to do extensive research on this topic, but its all too foreign to me without any guidance. C kites, Bow kites, Sigma kites ??? It seems bow is for beginner with wider wind range, C kites are what everyone is used to and loves, Sigma are something new or a hybrid?

I'm pretty much planning to kite by myself. I do not know anyone at the beach who is my age, or that likes to kite. I've seen some people, but when i talked to them, they tried to pretend like they were too good to talk to anyone about it (i imagine they get asked a billion questions and are tired of it)

My girlfriend will happily track me with GPS and pick me up in my jet ski, so i'm not so worried about going out to sea. but i am concerned about water re-launching abilities since i'm flying solo. I imagine that just with anything, this is a practice/knowledge type thing really and kite purchase should not be based soley on that.

Just to let you know what price range i was thinking, i read good things about the Vegas from North, I saw and thought about the Cabrinha Switchblade 2, but i know nothing about it.

I'm virtually lost when it talks about de-powering/sheeting technologies....I realize that you de-power to increase/decrease surface to wind area thus gaining/reducing wind flow corelating to higher/lower power. I understand the concept, i just dont understand how one technology could be better than another (or is it just fancier names for the same things?)

Basically I'm trying to figure out the kite size/style i need (i read bigger the better for low winds, but bigger also ='s amplified mistakes). Do i go with the biggest baddest kite? Or do i go with a modest size? Eventually i plan on building a quiver, but i only plan to go during the summer, on Brigantine Island, when the weather warrants going to the beach (warm, nice, not stormy). I may try my luck in Maui....a few years from now....

All constructive criticism is encouraged. Telling me to "search" is pointless as there are too many conflicting reports on kite sizes.

I have 2 more lessons left with the instructor, i was planning on getting the harness and the board and then using her kite.....asking her opinion as well, then buying. For the last lesson i was going to have her show me how to use the specific kite i purchase...

viktor
Frequent Poster

Re: Kite n00b needs help please.

Postby viktor » Fri May 02, 2008 6:49 pm

I think you should buy [insert brand and model], I have it and get massive air with it. Relaunch is easy and did I mention that I get massive air with it?

If you have a chance go demo as many kites as you can, it is pretty much up to small details if you like a kite or not. But for jumping it is also important to be able to have and keep good speed.

here are some you could insert above.
Naish Raven
Cabrinha switchblade
SS Rev
North Rhino
Ozone Edge
Flysurfer Speed

vtjay79
Rare Poster

Postby vtjay79 » Fri May 02, 2008 7:06 pm

Viktor,

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I believe it would be extremely difficult for me to demo anything short of what the instructor has. It would appear that Kiteboarding has not really taken off too hard where i go to vacation. There are only a few regular surf shops local, but none have anything to do with kiting.

I do make it down to the Outer Banks, NC at the end of the summer, but i think that would be too late for me.

Its good to know that the 2 kites, or at least their respective manufactures were on your top rated list. I was suspecting it would ultimatley come down to little things as to why each individual person likes or dislikes their kite, but again, i still have no idea on the true differences between C kites, Bow kites, and hybrids...or does it really not matter, and the only way to tell is to fly it? (stupid question i assume)

bluerocketboy
Medium Poster
Style: wakestyle

Postby bluerocketboy » Fri May 02, 2008 7:47 pm

C kites are now only really better for amazing riders, for the rest of us bows and hybrids are probably much better 'c' regards the shape of the kite when flying, c kites generally have no bridle and very limited depower, u can't jump bigger on a 'c' kite than you can on a bow. probably don't get a 'c' kite (very little depower/wind range), also they are harder to relaunch. (c kites are old technology now really but are very refined)

bow and hybrid kites have supporting bridles, this means the shape in the air is flatter, because of the bridles the angle of the kite can be adjusted more and therefore more depower is available making them better for beginners and intermediates, bow kites also relaunch extremely easily (just pulling on one rear line)

as for kite size it is entirely dependent on the wind u want to kitesurf in, for me at 75kgs a 9 meter bow will cover me from 17 to 35 mph and a 13 meter from 12 to 20 mph

the cabrinha kites are awsome and will do everything u want and more.

getting an instructional dvd would be a great start to help u understand the theory behind it all

hope this helps, u will have such a great time when u learn to kite, it puts all other sports to shame,
ben

p.s the other kit u mentioned will be good

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri May 02, 2008 10:59 pm

I'm sure other people will tell you to get the lessons first, and that's what I say too.
There is a lot you have to learn about safety. What you have written infers that you have not studied kitesurfing much yet.

This document has a lot of useful information, but it is only a start. There is a lot more, which is best learned from a good instructor until you get to a level where you can kite safely. It is best to kite with others when you are learning. Give respect and you get respect.
Your past experience should help you learn quickly if you go about it the right way.

http://www.theringmedia.com/PDFS/TheKit ... ook_07.pdf

karen
Medium Poster

Postby karen » Sat May 03, 2008 2:47 am

Yep- lessons is absolutely a must!! It will pay you big dividends in time and, certainly, safety.

End of summer in the Outer Banks should still be good, but check with Real Kiteboarding - you may want to inquire about an intensive few days with them! There are some other very good instructors around the Outer Banks- hopefully some will reply here!

Good Luck! Once you're up and riding... your family will know where to find you!

Cheers!

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Sat May 03, 2008 4:19 am

vt,

Don't really know where to start but I am from your area and might be able to help a bit. If your from AC, then the instructors name starts with a P. Your weight is average and if you own one of those houses on an island in the bay of AC or Mystic Islands then you will have it made. I think you will be suprised how much wind you will get in the summer. Thermal winds take over the bay with SW winds in the summer with an average of @ 15-20 knots almost daily. If you are in AC then you should call Rich Hall at Atlantic Kiteboarding in AC or Island Surf and Sail on LBI. Rich carries the Crazy Fly line and ISS has the Cabrihna line for demos. Both shops carry Mystic. Both places offer lessons too.

The Vegas is a high depower C-kite and the Switchblade 2 is a bow/sle kite from 2007. The 2008 Switchblade 3 is even better. For a beginner rider, i would say get the SB 3. More range and depower with 4 line simplicity. But there are alot of great gear out there.

As for not knowing or seeing many people at the beach then you are not looking in the right places. There are alot of kiters in the AC area. Check out http://www.atlantickiteboarding.com and go to their forum to meet people. Most of the AC crowd rides at Lakes Bay. Your first kite will be between a 10m-13m. You will be able to ride some pretty light stuff on most 13s and the Raptor or something close. You may want to get a smaller board eventually but start with the bigger board first. For a first kite, think about these: Windwing Rampage 2, Best Waroo, Ozone Light, Cabrihna SB 3, Cabrihna Convert, North Evo and Slingshot TD 3.

Good Luck

vtjay79
Rare Poster

Postby vtjay79 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:42 pm

Well it appears you all were right on the finishing up the lessons part.

I was able to go to A.C. last weekend and complete the final 2 sessions of my kite training.

My instructor, Petra Kanz, www.petrakanz.com was very persistant on NOT getting a C kite, primarily due to safety.

I guess I'm going to also have to follow everyones advice and demo a few kites. I guess its all a matter of personal preferance, like bar pressure. My arms were really hurting trying to body drag and keep powered up, but it was a 2006 kite with a lot of pressure I was told.

Anyhow, thank you all for your input, just figured I'd post back saying I followed the advice of the fellow board members.

wjb
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006

Postby wjb » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:12 pm

These are all questions you should be asking your instructor. If she is not returning your calls, find someone else. A lot of quality people teaching out there. An instructional DVD may help but do not go out on your own before you complete your lessons.

susanNYC
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: NJ, NYC, LI

Postby susanNYC » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:43 pm

the other shop to check out in your area is green hat kiteboarding

Return to “Kitesurfing”