CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

ProMotion wetsuit for kiting?

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:56 pm

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new suit and was thinking of giving the ProMotion suits over at wetsuit.com a try. Does anyone have feedback on them?

It looks like they have a Storm Wind and a new Storm Kite that would both work well for our sport. I'm currently using 5 year old RipCurl that has served me well, but I think its getting worn and loose as the calves flush up a lot more water than they used to (velcro straps don't help.) The ProMotion Storm suit promises a velcro closed cuff built in to the suit which I'm hoping takes care of the water flushing up into the suit. Is their design effective?

So, since I don't have a shop around here to try one on, I was looking for feedback before I order.

For the record, they have a new material out on the new suits so all the old suits are on sale for $100 off. So if you don't care about their "advanced material" (whatever that is) you'll find a deal on something else.

Thanks,
-todd

marina
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Central Coast, California
Favorite Beaches: Central Coast, California
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Ventana, Mexico
Oregon Coast
Baja Pacific Side
Peru
Style: waves, jumping and wiggling
Gear: mixed
Brand Affiliation: mixed

Re: ProMotion wetsuit for kiting?

Postby marina » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:38 pm

hi Todd,
i might try posting on nwkite.com as Promotion is based in the Gorge and that's where I see most of these suits.. around the NW....

Xtream
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Xtream » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:24 pm

Todd,

I have been using the Storm 5/4 for cold days in December/January with the hooded vest down to 40 water and 40 air temp. Its the older material I it has been good for me for 3 seasons
I also have at 3/2 3/4 just like the kite model with the new windskin. http://www.wetsuit.com/store/detail.cfm?product_id=547 My spring and fall suit.
I do like the new material better, I would spend the extra cash for the new material. Great suits, fits well and keeps me warm.

X

McKite
Medium Poster

Postby McKite » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:25 am

Second the props on Promotion. I love my 4/3. Make certain you have a the "wind skin" technology. Ankle flush is minimal.

Kiwibayer
Rare Poster

Postby Kiwibayer » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:30 am

I have been out with the new Storm 4/3 four times by now and so far had no issues with water coming up my legs. However, saying that I am not sure how long that Velcro will work. I guess time will tell. Should it stop working I will be digging out that old Velcro strap from my old suit.
Stay away from the old material. It definitely is not as strong as the new one.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:49 pm

Great info, thanks.

What are your thoughts on the shortened (5/8) leg length (Storm Kite) vs. a full leg of the Storm Wind? I figure if it is cold enough for me to put on the 4/3, I want full coverage. Otherwise I'll just wear a shorty. However, I've never worn a 5/8th leg in cold weather so I'm not sure how annoying it is to have cold spray on bare ankles. Is it even an issue?

Anyway, leaning towards the Storm Wind, but tempted by the suit that is designed for our sport of course.

D_Clark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby D_Clark » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:58 pm

If you have questions don't hesitate to give the guys at Promotion a call. They are very helpful and will help you get the right suit and most important the right size. They also have a great return policy so you can get the right size.

I have a couple of promotion suits, (don't recall the model) and they are great.
- DC

Return to “Kitesurfing”