Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

forum for kitesurfers

shamrock
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby shamrock » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:00 am

Hi everyone, as stated... newbie to the site, and to kite surfing....well, just starting to get into it. Have loads of questions...but will start with the basics...is kite surfing something a person can teach himself, if he trained a while with a training kite (2 - 3 metres)??

kovi
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0

Re: Newbie

Postby kovi » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:12 am

No. You should take lessons from a qualified instructor. It is dangerous to learn it on your own . Very dangerous.

shamrock
Rare Poster

Postby shamrock » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:31 am

Thanks Kovi. I am really just an interested observer I guess...It looks amazing, and I do want to get into it... but I want some advice from the people who are actually out there doing it, so please, don't hesitate to throw some criticism,advice, or whatever out there.. Thanks all.

mathieu leheilleix
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Dolphin Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Ras Sudr, Egypt
Style: Free style
Gear: Cab

Postby mathieu leheilleix » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:34 am

Agreed with Kovi. It is much better to take lessons first.
Your instructor will be able to guide you as per to which kite will be then suitable for you etc..

Good luck :thumb:

surpher
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Brighton VIC
Style: surf
Gear: Hellfire 5'6" & Vegases

Postby surpher » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:42 am

Probably the most important thing that an instructor can give you is prepare you for most of the situations you might get yourself into. Especially prepare you on what will happen when your equipment is in a certain position in the air or the ground. Getting such information before you get yourself into a doodoo will make your kiting experience much safer for yourself, other participants in and on the water as well as for the observers. And instructors can also point you in the right direction when getting your own kite and other equipment - what kind for what conditions...

Therefore I (like fellow kiters before me) strongly suggest a few hours or even days of kite flying and kitesurfing instructions.

Be safe, have fun, enjoy the riding!

shamrock
Rare Poster

Postby shamrock » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:52 pm

Right on, thanks guys.. I am definitely looking into lessons...just wasn't sure I wanted to pay $500 for lessons when I could get half my gear for that. Was thinking of starting with a smaller kite, bigger board and only playing in low winds until i was comfortable....but, lessons seem to be the way to go... Thanks :)

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:31 pm

Shamrock,

If you think starting with a smaller kite will keep you out of trouble then you are mistaken. Smaller kites move and steer faster thus creating more power, quicker. Most beginners get into trouble with smaller kites. Think of it this way. With large kites, big mistakes have smaller consiquences where as small kites, small mistakes cost you big. Now I'm not saying that you can't and won't get hurt on larger kites but to say you won't get hurt on the smaller one isn't true either.

Where do you live as someone may be able to point you in the right direction for lessons.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:45 pm

lessons are a must for this sport.
Don't save on it, since your medical bill afterwards will be much higher!

And will get soo much more info from a qualified instructor, and also will be on the water quicker.

make sure, the instructor is qualified and has a license which he can show you.

But you can get some feeling before you take lessons by flying a small trainer kite max 3sqm.

Good luck!

sodman
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby sodman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:11 pm

First buy a trainer kite.

Either a 2 or 3 meter kite will start you out nicely. If you can afford the 3 meter get that. It will give you more power and will be more fun to get yanked around on.

You don't need instructions (other than the dvd that comes with the kite) for a kite that small, just don't fly it around others and you will be ok.

What noel says is true that a smaller kite will produce more power quicker. But.... there is no way that a 2-3 meter kite will get you into trouble. I have a 2 meter kite and I have flown it in winds that are so strong that it picked me off the ground and snapped one of the lines. Never did I feel in danger.

If someone wants to counter this then please let me know how its possible to get into trouble on a 2-3 meter kite.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:28 pm

sodman,

I wasn't referring to a 2-3m trainer and I don't think shamrock was either. Trainers are a great tool to start with especially in the 10-20 mph. range. After 20, the kite,especially the 3m, will start to have alot of power. You can only get in trouble if you don't let go in an emergency situation. Unless shamrock lives in hurricane country and only flies a 2-3m kite during the hurricane, he will not be able to ride very well if at all.

Return to “Kitesurfing”