Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Has anyone used an IDS bar with an Omega?

forum for kitesurfers

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Has anyone used an IDS bar with an Omega?

Postby ronnie » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:30 pm

Has anyone used the IDS bar with any other Cabrinha kite? Instead of flagging to one front line, it would be flagging to both. The kite should still fall out of the sky and be well depowered and less likely to loop. I'm wondering if there is really any advantage to rigging it to flag to one front line?

RickyBobby
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Has anyone used an IDS bar with an Omega?

Postby RickyBobby » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:18 pm

You will not get IDS depower with a different Cab kite.

The kite's bridle must be configured specifically for IDS to be used.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:42 pm

Yep. I know it wont work like the IDS kite.
I could rig it to be convertable, using a Nobile Inox swivel that I have, but if it worked well enough without that, why add complications?
There are kites that flag to both front lines, and the Omega will drop depowered even if I just sheet out, so I was wondering if additonal flagging was really necessary?

RickyBobby
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby RickyBobby » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:22 pm

I'm pretty sure that the IDS bar will fly the kite just fine.

RB

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:47 pm

You are right that it flies the kite OK Ricky.
I tried a 9m Omega with a 55cm IDS bar. The kite flies ok. Releasing the quick-release depowers the kite slightly more than just pushing the bar out.
With the bar out, I thought the kite was not as well behaved as it would be with the normal bar. It did not seem to settle as well on the beach when fully depowered. I had to keep some rear line tension on to keep it steady. It is a long way up the front lines until you can grab the upper front line, so the usual method of parking the kite is not so easy. The kite is likely to lift off and tumble. I did manage to get the kite to park each of the 3 times with the upper front line, but it had tumbled the first two times.

To sum it up: The normal bar is definitely worth having. The kite does not behave in a totally controlled manner when trying to self-land with the IDS, although the kite was well depowered and I was not in danger. It is much easier to make a controlled self-landing with the normal bar.
I will get another bar for the Omega.

Return to “Kitesurfing”