travel questions for the SPI/ Corpus Christi area

forum for kitesurfers

geopeck
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

travel questions for the SPI/ Corpus Christi area

Postby geopeck » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:14 pm

Hey all - we have a little contingent of kiters coming down from Alaska to Texas in late Oct./early Nov. I've heard great things about the kiting and people there so we're really looking forward to it, and want to run this plan by people in the know and get the most wind and waves we can.

We want to rent a truck and use it as a camping base on the beaches between CPI and CC for about a week- range around and find different breaks and chase wind if we need to, and maybe get into a hotel for some AC and fresh water midweek.

Is there anything we need to anticipate about camping and driving on the beach there as far as laws/crime/animals/hurricanes etc? Should we start in CC or SPI? We also want to rent some boards - which town or shop is best for that? Is there a place we should show up to get some local knowledge?

thanks in advance for tips - GO

leebonfiglio
Rare Poster

Re: travel questions for the SPI/ Corpus Christi area

Postby leebonfiglio » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:46 pm

If your renting surf boards you can start in either location, but I don't think there are any shops in Corpus that are renting kite boards.

You can't drive all the way from Corpus to SPI on the beach because there is a inlet about half way between the two that you can't drive through.

If it where my trip and I only had a week I would fly into Brownsville and spend most of my time riding in the Gulf on SPI and camping on the beach.

Lee

mulletrider
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Puget Sound
Favorite Beaches: Coche, San Felipe, B.S.M, Hood Canal
Style: wakezilla
Gear: waroos, litewave

Postby mulletrider » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:38 pm

I did a similar trip last year. We flew into corpus christi, kited there for a few days, camped on the beach. Check out the latest online issue of The Kiteboarder, Ryan talks about packery channel which is sick. http://www.southcoastkiteboarding.com/corpus_info.html

then we drove to SPI and got in touch with http://www.southpadreislandkiteboarding.com/ they are a killer shop with tons of great info. We slept on the beach in SPI too. There's a KOA which is probably pretty cheap, short drive to kite spots.

Then we drove back to CC and flew out.

We never felt unsafe or anything at anytime. cool place, pretty chill, CC is a little ghetto but still cool.

I don't remember what time of year I went, check with the locals for wind. I had like 5 days out of 7.

good luck

20 m or bust
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Dalrock, Ray Roberts
Favorite Beaches: Mustang Island, Stink Beach
Style: Free ride
Gear: Waroos
Stretch board

Postby 20 m or bust » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:06 pm

IMHO. Corpus has the best wind and SPI has the best waves, although both spots are mostly wind swell. Corpus has a park called Mustang Island with warm showers and camping spots with electricity or you can steak out your spot on the beach. You can ride just outside your tent for miles. There are several great flat water spots within 30 minutes of Mustang. Look at www.kiteboarding.com and where to ride. There won't be many people there that time a year, just a few fishermen. Hotels that time of year are very cheap. We stayed at a brand new Days Inn about 5 mi from Mustang last nov. It was $38 a night for 2 kings. A bunch of us from Dallas will be there for the Thanksgiving week again this year.

Spi. Have been there several times kiteboarding and not. The north flats is where most go to ride on the bay. It has always been a little gusty to me there cuz the SE wind comes across the island. The surf side is great. You can start in the park at the south end of the island and do a 15 mile downwinder on a South anything day. The surf is much cleaner and more organized than Corpus, at least in my experience. No experience with beach camping in SPI, but the hotels should be cheap there too.

Shops are right on the island in SPI, where they are in town in Corpus.

Hope this helps

travelerphotography
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: I live here on Oahu, Hawaii so I kite Kaneohe Bay, Kailua and Mokuleia.
Favorite Beaches: The lakes by my cabin in Pilot Point, Alaska. I also like Cayman Islands, Aruba and Hatteras.
Style: Surf, Skim, Wake
Gear: LF and Cabrinha

Postby travelerphotography » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:06 pm

Im one of the Alaskan guys going with George to Texas this fall. He is in the bush now so cant respond, but i wanted to say thanks for the info everyone. I was in SPI last yeear and loved the waves. if CC doesnt have waves like that, i dont want to go! is that what im hearing, that the waves such in CC?

Also I looked at google earth and saw that if you leave from CC in a truck and drive towars SPI, you get 80 something miles of beach before the cut through. Has anyone driven this exact route? It shure seems like we will find wind, but will we find waves like they have in SPI??? I find it very hard to have fun kiting these days unless im in overhead waves going downwind on a surfboard. Maybe thats just cause i suck at tricks!

Thanks
Traveler Terpening
info@travelerphotography.com

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Eduardo » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:17 pm

The info above is right on - I'd suggest SPI over CC for waves.

For wave info, try

http://magicseaweed.com/spot-seasonal-o ... spotId=361

http://magicseaweed.com/spot-seasonal-o ... spotId=551

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Ozones and Flysurfers

Postby jakemoore » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:08 pm

I think it has something to do with prevailing winds being more sideshore on SPI. Plus $5 for a taxi ride after your downwinder is pretty nice. You won't get that if you 4x4 into the national seashore from either end. Overhead would be nice but is rare. We more frequently have short period wind-swell but its nice when we get it.

Jake

Return to “Kitesurfing”