forum for kitesurfers

chize
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: pacific beach, mission beach
Brand Affiliation: None

gaastra satellite or slingshot lft for my first board

Postby chize » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:33 pm

Hi, i'm about to purchase my first board and I was wondering which would be better for a beginners board the Gaastra Satellite or the Slingshot LFT. Also I live in San Diego, CA for wind speeds are about 10-15 mph.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: gaastra satellite or slingshot lft for my first board

Postby noel » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:13 pm

Not sure about the Gaastra but the SS LFT is a crap board. You will out grow it the first time you go up-wind. Sucks for jumping and is sloooooowwwww. I know a few people that had them and they hated it. I have ridden it a few times and it was aweful. I did have a Gaastra board once but the fins would constantly fall out. By the sound of the boards you have chosen, I would say you are trying to spend as little money as possible but you get what you pay for. If I was you I would try to find an old Litewave 179 or 181.

Good Luck!

chize
Rare Poster

Postby chize » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:15 pm

ok thank you ill look for those boards, the reason i had those boards chosen was because they were on craigslist and my parents want me to buy a used board. oh and i forgot to add i am 5'11 and 165 lbs.

panchito
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby panchito » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:28 pm

Hi

I used to have a LFT ... yeah nice board for a beginner but as said before you will outgrow that one in no time ... i´s really to big , heavy , hard ( 0 flex ) and useless as soon as the wind picks up

The Satellite is really wide on the center , narrow on the tips and for a beginner it will be difficult to keep an edge since you´ll need to put a lot of weight , not the best Gaastra design I have seen .

I wouldn´t recommend them ....( i think both are from 2005 ) try to get a 2006 and up if you can .. if you are in the US ... you could get a cheap liquid force for not more than 200 bucks .

For your weight search for 135/140 x 41/43 board , latter you can keep it for your light wind sessions

Have fun

Saludos

Franz

chize
Rare Poster

Postby chize » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:22 am

so a liquid force is a good brand for kiteboards? are there any other specific ones that would be good my area/weight/height?

chize
Rare Poster

Postby chize » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:20 pm

bump

Return to “Kitesurfing”