Kitesurfing banned - it could happen today

forum for kitesurfers

kytsurf/florida
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Kitesurfing banned - it could happen today

Postby kytsurf/florida » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:35 am

I understand Kevin Kearney has a family - I'm glad that they are not mourning a senseless death - his, or a bystander's.
I am appalled that Mr. Kearney can show his face on national television, and not apologize for risking the lives of all the lucky folks he flew by on that beach in Ft. Lauderdale. If it was up to me, I would have the police incarcerate Mr. Kearney for wanton endangerment the minute he left the hospital. We don't need such egocentric fools representing a sport that already is under considerable public scrutiny. Count your blessings, Kevin, and take care of yourself and your family. When you are mature enough to recognize that you have legal and ethical responsibilties for your actions, perhaps you will be accepted again on your local beach. More of these incidents, and we'll see kitesurfing banned.

ian c
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Kitesurfing banned - it could happen today

Postby ian c » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:37 am

I think it is fair to say that luck did not go his way also....you know nature and stuff. Anyway the vid is the greatest warning against rare but possible extreme wind gusts ever seen..

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:15 am

can't anyone of the local scene (e.g. Rick) get onto TV and get things straight?
We cannot leave it like this!!!

naishravenandy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ayr, South West Scotland

Postby naishravenandy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:29 pm

A bit of common sense would have done the world of good here. what size of kite was he flying? and what was the wind speed that day? To be honest at the end of the day we dont control the wind and once that gust caught him it was out of his control we just have to count our blessings that he's still alive.

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:32 pm

Hey Toby,

What would be the chances of you getting a group of experts together and doing a kiteforum tv show on this topic. We could send use that for general information and also use it to send to all the media outlets for some positive press and if any wanted to talk to an expert it would give them the contact names.

Clew In

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:33 pm

Agreed Toby.

I think getting Rick up there on the tele would be a good thing and the media might get a kick outta it because it creates a little drama with strongly conflicting opinions. Im sure they would love to have an excuse to show the footage again as I bet viewers eat that shizzit up.

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:29 pm

ian c wrote:I think it is fair to say that luck did not go his way also....you know nature and stuff. Anyway the vid is the greatest warning against rare but possible extreme wind gusts ever seen..

You could say he was unlucky, you could also say he put himself in a situation where he needed a LOT of luck...

.Joel
Medium Poster

Postby .Joel » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:44 pm

Anyone have a link to the video or what footage is being discussed ?
(not the lofting but the interview)

Kitealot, Wanna
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Tourmaline, OBX.
Favorite Beaches: Ones with more wind then SD.
Brand Affiliation: Sponsors: Subskin, Zeal Optics, Hyperflex, Eclipse

Postby Kitealot, Wanna » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:56 pm

kytsurf/florida wrote:I understand Kevin Kearney has a family - I'm glad that they are not mourning a senseless death - his, or a bystander's.
I am appalled that Mr. Kearney can show his face on national television, and not apologize for risking the lives of all the lucky folks he flew by on that beach in Ft. Lauderdale. If it was up to me, I would have the police incarcerate Mr. Kearney for wanton endangerment the minute he left the hospital. We don't need such egocentric fools representing a sport that already is under considerable public scrutiny. Count your blessings, Kevin, and take care of yourself and your family. When you are mature enough to recognize that you have legal and ethical responsibilties for your actions, perhaps you will be accepted again on your local beach. More of these incidents, and we'll see kitesurfing banned.

it's already headed that direction here in san diego. my local beach now has a long list of restrictions on kiting spurred by an incident involving a jackass who didn't know what he was doing. its bad enough that my kiting days are limited by lack of wind. i just wish people would give this sport and mother nature's power the respect they deserve as well as know their own limitations.

Return to “Kitesurfing”