Replace Underground for Crazy-Fly or F-One

forum for kitesurfers

Japers
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Replace Underground for Crazy-Fly or F-One

Postby Japers » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:47 pm

I ride an 06 Underground 132x39 which I absolutely adore but I am struggling a bit with it in choppy conditions. I am 66kg, into unhooked wakestyle, riding regularly for 4 years.

I get the most amazing range out of my underground- it gets me going in light winds but I it also holds loads of power. My problem is my knees which are getting quite sore lately from the chop and heavy landings!

I am therefore hoping to get something similar but with a little more flex (I can sacrifice a little pop as the UG's pop is more than I need). I am wondering if anyone is able to compare it to the CrazyFly (Rocky) or the F-One (Acid/Demon), with regards to flex? I am thinking I would get a similar size or possibly 1-2cm wider to compensate for the loss of low range from the added flex.

Anyone have any experience with these!?

apos0
Medium Poster

Re: Replace Underground for Crazy-Fly or F-One

Postby apos0 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:10 pm

Rocky is too stiff, go for the Raptor pro, medium flex, fantastic on chop, very smooth landings. 127x40 probably a good size for you.

prwinds
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Punta las Marias
Ocean Park
Favorite Beaches: Punta las Marias
Style: new school, waves
Gear: Griffin Kites, Liquid Force Concept 139, Escalade Bindings

Postby prwinds » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:13 pm

Hi,
I currently ride the crazyfly Rocky LE 130x40. The board is the most awesome board I have tried for wakestyle. Its just feels at home to do tricks, its feels super confortable and has some soft landings. I have tried the 08 Undergounds dont remember what size but for wakestyle I couldnt compare them. The underground just felt with much more flex than the Rocky, and that was great for choppy water but for loading up and edging hard to really pop out oft he water not so, the Rocky beats her in this. I just got accostumed to the Rckys flex.

The Rocky is a superb board and even though the flex is super stiff(great for pop) its still comforatble on chop. But nontheless any other flexier board will feel more confortable.

I think both are great boards, if you want something super comfortable in choppy water then opt for the Underground, if you want a pure wakestyle board gor for the rocky.

good winds!

prwinds
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Punta las Marias
Ocean Park
Favorite Beaches: Punta las Marias
Style: new school, waves
Gear: Griffin Kites, Liquid Force Concept 139, Escalade Bindings

Postby prwinds » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:22 pm

apos0 wrote:Rocky is too stiff, go for the Raptor pro, medium flex, fantastic on chop, very smooth landings. 127x40 probably a good size for you.

True, awesome and super confortable board. Tried the 127 x 39, but for its flex itll feel way too small for tricks. Really not the board for wakestyle.

Japers
Rare Poster

Postby Japers » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:32 pm

Great, thanks very much apos & prwinds, it confirms what I thought about the Rocky (I didn't think it would be stiffer though!) and also what I heard about the Raptor. Great winds in the UK this summer, we are all exhausted!

Now.... anyone have any experience with the F-One Acid to compare its flex to the UG? I read the review on iksurfmag re good flex and pop and being suited to lighter rider which makes it sound ideal but everything is relative!

Morfin
Frequent Poster

Postby Morfin » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:34 pm

I ride an 07 custom UG FLX, which I like very much. Im aware that the board does not have the best pop. It is more of an "all around" type of board. right?
What I do know, from close friends, 4 to be exact, is that crazy fly boards tend to brake. This is with the 07 models.
I really like the materials, looks, and performance in general of the CF line, but knowing of this makes me take them out of my wish list.

I have never ridden F-One boards but I have the impression of excelent quality.....and pricey. Give them a go.

GOOD LUCK!

perroloco
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Acapulco, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: Acapulco, San Diego
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Turbo 2 17m-14m-11m-9m-7m, Nobile 666 143 Ext, Nobile 666 135, UG 132, UG 128, Mako wide 150, LF Rawson 5'10''

Postby perroloco » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:41 pm

Have you looked at the F-one traxx? That is the most talked about board from F-one.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:24 pm

Steer clear of the Raptor if you are into unhooked as it lacks pop due to the fact it is so flexible, its a great freeride board for chop but I have been rinding one for a while and have also had the 08 Thorn, 07 Misfit and now the 08 UG FLX and the Raptor had a lot less pop for unhoked wakestyle compared to these others.

Its a compromise - a good poppy board won't be a good in the chop as a flexible noard and vice versa

Jay

Japers
Rare Poster

Postby Japers » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:41 pm

It's funny, I find my UG is fairly stiff (for my weight anyway) and it definitely has great pop (I have to be gentle loading otherwise it sends me way too big) but it sounds from many of the posts like relatively it has more flex than quite a few others!

I like riding a wide-ish board (for my weight) as it gives me great low end. Maybe if I had the narrower UG, it would cut through the chop a bit better for me but it's not an option I want to look at hence I am trying to add some flex into the equation. It's definitely as tricky choice as the Raptor/Traxx from all I have read seem to be at the other end of the flex/pop spectrum!

eldadgold
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eldadgold » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:52 pm

i tried out the trax III and the Acid.

the Acid is a bit softer than the Trax.
the trax goes upwind better and i think has about the same pop.
at landings from kiteloops and other "hard" landings the Acid is a little bit better because it absorbs a bit better.
i went for the traxIII after trying the Raptor, boldozer, thorn, acid, 666 and shinn.

about the demon. the demon2 is way way better than the demon1 and i yhink it's one of the best boards out there. i'm 73kg and if the demon had a bit more upwind ability i would have bought a used demon2. because you're light weight i would recomend you try the demon2. can't remember the size exactly but go for the big sizes because it's upwind ability is avarege-
good luck

Return to “Kitesurfing”