Forum for kitesurfers
Tonia
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiteboarding 4 Cancer raises $95,000

Postby Tonia » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:00 pm

2008 Kiteboarding 4 Cancer raises $95,000 for Cancer!!

The 2008 Kiteboarding 4 Cancer on August 9th brought visitors and athletes from across the country to the beautiful mountain-surrounded town of Hood River for a cause that touches every one of us. Despite a recession and gas prices affecting travel around the country, participants came, kited hard, and raised 40% over last year's final tally, with over $95,000. This huge feat was attributed to an incredible community of kiteboarders, manufacturers, partners, and volunteers passionate about the cause.

The clouds parted Saturday morning for sunny skies and winds that ranged from 10-30 throughout the day. Over 150 kiteboarders descended on the Hood River Event Site in Hood River, Oregon, ready for a 6-Hour Endurance Kite Derby to represent the battles that those with cancer face every day.

The race kicked off with a rabbit-style start, with all racers having to follow behind a boat pulling away upwind. Five buoys were set apart to create a box in the middle of the Columbia River that riders had to kiteboard around, with about one mile distance between the farthest buoys. After some GPS analysis, this made for actual kiting surface distance of 5 miles per lap. 150 kiteboarders started at once — a sight that is hard for even the best photographer in the Gorge to capture….

The winners of the 6-Hour Kite Derby Endurance Race went over 20 laps each, which equaled well over 100 miles of kiting per person. For 6 hours, participants raced upwind and downwind, around a 5-buoy course in the Columbia River. Conditions were variable and inconsistent for the Gorge, making for a very challenging race. In the end, it came down to who could stay out the longest. KB4C Sponsors Slingshot Kiteboarding, Naish Kites, Dakine, Best Kiteboarding, Eclipse Kites, Liquid Force, Cabrinha, North Kiteboarding, and Litewave Dave all donated kiteboarding gear for the prizes. The top prize of a Naish quiver package of two Helix kites and a pro golf travel bag went to Tony Bolstad of Stevenson, Washington. The winners:

Overall:
1. Tony Bolstad
2. Irv Stein
3. Grom Gormley

Women:
1. Marybeth Zigarelli
2. Carol Bolstad
3. Cynthia Brown

The Best Kiteboarding Long Jump competition was challenging due to shifty winds, but still entertaining for the crowd. The longest jumper honors went to Ryan Schenk, winning a Best Kiteboarding package with a Waroo, Best Surfboard, and Best apparel.

Overall:
1. Ryan Schenk
2. Scott Edgar

Women:
1. Cynthia Brown
2. Laura Maher

Athletes raised over $65,000 before the event even started on Saturday, equalling the total for what the event made in its entirety last year. Slingshot Kiteboarding generously donated a quiver package of two T3 kites, a Lunacy kiteboard, and travel packs for the top fundraiser. Kee Park of Jackson, Missouri, brought in a staggering $17,000 to take the top prize!! Top fundraisers for 2008:

1. Kee Park, Jackson, Missouri
2. Peter Nora, Seattle, Washington
3. Matt Sexton, St. Pete Beach, Florida
4. Tony Colburn, Seaside, Oregon
5. Shay Ohrel, Portland, Oregon

John Wayne Cancer Foundation and Real Watersports of Hatteras, North Carolina presented the prize for top total number of donations: a Jimmy Lewis Standup Paddle Board, Werner Carbon paddle, and Dakine SUP bag. Fundraisers got creative to get this prize, seeking out donations from hundreds of people, just to get one dollar. In the end, Brett Edelen of Pacific City, Oregon, came in with 201 donations.

At the end of the day’s events, the live auction included items from CHAP, one very special piece being a custom kiteboard by board shaper, John Doyle. For two months, the children and families of CHAP helped decorate the John Doyle Bling Kiteboard for the auction. Then, spectators, participants, and the kids of KB4C added to the board throughout the day. The board went up for live auction at 5:30pm after the Kite Derby.

Congratulations to all the participants and fundraisers of the 2008 Kiteboarding 4 Cancer!!!

For more detailed information on KB4C cancer beneficiaries and information, check out our blog: http://www.kb4c.wordpress.com

Kiteboarding 4 Cancer
www.kb4c.org

lesley
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kiteboarding 4 Cancer raises $95,000

Postby lesley » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:24 am

Hello everybody, I am 28 years old, 5’8” in height and 150 pounds in weight. I would like to loose some of my weight. And I am right now following a diet. I walk a mile a day and had buttered toast for breakfast, and had a smoothie for lunch… and in total 500 calorie meal. Would I loose weight? How long would it take to loose 20 pounds? I want to loose at least 20 pounds. Is there any other advice please let me know. Thanks a lot.

Return to “Kitesurfing”