Kiting since: 1980
Local Beach: Chickasha Lake
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Myers, Fla.
Style: style? what the hell is that?
Gear: 2007 Slingshot T2 7M
Brand Affiliation: None

wind prediction help

Postby adams420 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:19 am

my local news channels suck at predicting the wind. they are vague at best when they give windspeeds, and the speeds usually change daily. I have been watching tomorrow for some nice 15 to 20 mph winds... All week long they have all been predicting these winds for tomorrow. now all of a sudden, just this evening they changed it up to 10's. very aggravating, especially after getting one bad ass session in, and then getting no wind for over a week.

Is there any services that i could use inland? I don't want to buy a service then find out it is for coastal areas and hot spots only or some garbage... i really need better wind info than these jackasses...

thanks, Junior

20 m or bust
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Dalrock, Ray Roberts
Favorite Beaches: Mustang Island, Stink Beach
Style: Free ride
Gear: Waroos
Stretch board

Re: wind prediction help

Postby 20 m or bust » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:50 am

National weather service does ok, but they r changable too. The do have a weekly weather graph that shows hourly predictions. I sometimes look at weather underground. Depending on your area you can get some info from ikitesurf.

Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:13 am

Where are you located?

Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby mv » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:48 pm

Look here and see if any of these services meet your needs. It all depends on where you are.

Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby panchito » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:18 pm

Wind forecasts are only for orientational purposes , I use both ; & and as a rule their predictions are most half way accurate for a max of 3 days and still in the evening it looks good and 6 hours latter it dosen´t anymore .

With the time ( and lots & lots of lost driving time to the beach ) you get like a 6th sense in how the wind is going to be depending on weather , where the wind comes from , it it´s hot or cold , cloudy or clear etc ...

But as a thumb rule .... when it looks like it´s going to be 25 knots ... I know 20 will be more realistic and if I get 15 I´m more than happy

Have fun

Return to “Kitesurfing”