I'd like to try a "C" again?

forum for kitesurfers

Skooner Jr.
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

I'd like to try a "C" again?

Postby Skooner Jr. » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:35 pm

Been riding Waroos for 3 years and really really like them. My current quiver is 7/11/15m 2008's. I'd like to try a new "C" somewehere between my 7/11. Maybe a 10 or 11m? Do they actually depower more than they did back in 2004? Hows the bar pressure? I'm looking for something with lightish bar pressure and decent depower so it's not a mind blowing adjustment. I'm starting to ride more and more unhooked (railey, sbend, big air rotations) and would like to try trying some dangle passes soon.

Oh and do they relaunch better than before? I saw a video of Ruben reverse launching a Fuel like nothing on youtube?

I'm open to all suggestions (pros/cons) but was intrigued by the Naish Torch, North Vegas, Slingshot Fuel, Ocean Rodeo Diablo and Best Yarga. But am not sure which one has good depower and light bar pressure....

Ludmil
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Re: I'd like to try a "C" again?

Postby Ludmil » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:49 pm

Hi,
Where you`ve been lately? Do yourself a favor, go and test all these you mentioned above /if you can/ and than you`ll see. Test them /or some/ and that will worth 1000 words.

Regards,
L.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:52 pm

All should have lots more depower than 2004, so they are "better" than the old C's in that way.

The fuel is probably the only one that will reverse relaunch, and it remains to be seen how handily it will do it, with only one video clip out of a pro doing it. Although, personally I bet it works great, but I hope you don't have to be Lenten to make it work ;). I bet it will be sweet, and the others too.

cSuttner
Medium Poster
Local Beach: east beach, leadbetter
Favorite Beaches: C street
Style: wakestyle and kiteloops
Gear: flexifoil ion1 7 and a hadlow pro 11
Brand Affiliation: i am affiliated with flexifoil USA

Postby cSuttner » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:05 pm

The modern c kites aren't all the same. Some have lighter bar pressure than others and some depower more. The vegas 08 was a sick kite, it had a ton of depower and pop. I ride a hadlow pro, which has very little depower but is very stable and well refined. Torches are cool but they feel indirect IMO like a bow kite.

Just go demo the kites you can and see what works best for you. Cs are much better in every aspect then they were in 2004.

Skooner Jr.
Frequent Poster

Postby Skooner Jr. » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:39 pm

Demoing gear for me is almost impossible, I'd have top fly to the east or west coast or get dealers to send gear to me (good luck with that!) I have bought kites for 7 years based off of calling dealers, internet reviews or just risking it and buying the kite and dealing with it later....

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:52 pm

Skooner Jr. wrote:Demoing gear for me is almost impossible, I'd have top fly to the east or west coast or get dealers to send gear to me (good luck with that!) I have bought kites for 7 years based off of calling dealers, internet reviews or just risking it and buying the kite and dealing with it later....

Then just buy a Torch or a vegas, and you will never look back...

smoore
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Westward Ho!!!!
Favorite Beaches: The ho!
Style: free ride/style
Gear: 2009 torches and 132 thorn fc

Postby smoore » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:59 pm

You cant go wrong with either a torch or a vegas, the 09 Torch DOES reverse relaunch this year and has huge depower like the vegas, the fuel has less depower than both of these but i have never flown one so... I ride the torch as it also has Direct response steering this year, so its got such a nice feel to it, really connected (not like a bow kite IMO. Csuttner, which model did you fly?) and its got a massive range, i was flyin 2 hours ago in 27mph (measured from an 8ft ridge) on my 10m and its my biggest kite.

but either way, the only way to tell is to try them.
good winds!

ian c
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ian c » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:59 pm

11m fuel 07 08

2009 looks a bit different so don't know how it is

2 days of feeling quite different and then you will be ahhh I see!

Torch (more) and Vegas (less so) have a bit more depower but are balanced for more depower - so a bit more off/on. teh fuel is well balanced because it always pull a little when sheeted out - not much but just enough to give the kite a more constant pull feel and get rid of teh on off feel but you can pull in the 5th and you have huge depower if you need it.

torch is a pain in teh ass if it flaps inside out between the y bridle - that does my head in! Not such a problem with fuel 5th line

so for in between this and what you are riding - a vapour 2 or torch

Try the fuel though - it is a very stable kite.

There is good reason that nearly all the PKRA and KPWT are still on c kites and I can tell you it has nothing to do with money because there is more money to be made by riders advertising bows and sles.... - not that there is much money to be made in kiting though...

reverse launch is no big deal - i still think i can relaunch much faster with 5th than bow - you can really boss around launching a fuel using teh 5th - you don't have to wait for things to happen

if you line up a lot of last and this years bows and put them next to c kites - you will see that there is less difference than ever - shape migration is going back to the c shape.

cSuttner
Medium Poster
Local Beach: east beach, leadbetter
Favorite Beaches: C street
Style: wakestyle and kiteloops
Gear: flexifoil ion1 7 and a hadlow pro 11
Brand Affiliation: i am affiliated with flexifoil USA

Postby cSuttner » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:39 pm

@smoore
Well admittedly i flew the 07 torch so i bet the new ones have improved upon feeling haha.

kite-it-right
Medium Poster

Postby kite-it-right » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:08 am

C kies are the fuure they always have been in my opinion..

70% of freeriders would benefit.

Fuel vegas torch..

you really cant go wrong
Tom

Return to “Kitesurfing”