Replacing main bladder on "one pump"....HELP

forum for kitesurfers

bigbamboo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Replacing main bladder on "one pump"....HELP

Postby bigbamboo » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:18 pm

OK, so I've replaced the bladder of my main tube and finally got it in with no twists...after 4 attempts, and now when I pump it up, the valves to the struts pull inside the main tube as I inflate it.
Anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?( beyond ditching the one pump system, I've figured that out myself!!)
I measured the replacement bladder against the original, and they are the same length, I can't figure it out........

sflinux
Frequent Poster

Re: Replacing main bladder on "one pump"....HELP

Postby sflinux » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:38 pm

Sounds like the bladder is cock-eyed. Pump the bladder up about 1/4 and try to massage the bladder so it is seated properly. Pump up some more, massage. Deflate and repeat. If this doesn't help, you'll probably have to pull it out and put it back in trying to line up the valves better.
I was expecting a nightmare with my one-pump system when I pulled the bladder out, but it really wasn't that bad. I'm a big fan of one-pumps for small kites (<7M).

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:39 pm

Have you used any baby power? Must use baby power to make sure it does not stick to it self while in the LE. And having a friend to help is very useful.

Follow the Link for a helpful video going over the whole process.

http://buyslingshotsports.com/s.nl/ctyp ... ategory=10
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (134.23 KiB) Viewed 1132 times

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:47 am

...a good idea when you want to pull in the main bladder is to use a lines going from the struts and out to the main bladder, then attach the lines to the main bladder..if you do that, it is super easy to not get twists.....actually easier than regular bladders.

just a FYI.

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like

Postby Kevin Salter » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:56 am

One pump leading edge bladders are easy to locate cos of the one pump connections. You didn't say what kite you have, but on SS the one pump "top hats" have a lip at the base so you pull the lip out of the hole in the leading edge and it locks in place.

If you are still having drama's did you check the width of the replacement bladder? maybe it is under size, I see you checked the length.

Don't know about the other one pump systems.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:18 am

the Naish octopus system also has collar that locks the valves in place...

a.

Larse
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Lynæs , DK
http://www.KiteboardingExercises.com
Favorite Beaches: Poppelvej, DK
http://www.KiteboardingExercises.com
Style: Wakestyle/freestyle
Gear: LF Nirvana, Envy, LF DLX and LF LFX
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force and http://www.KiteboardingExercises.com

Postby Larse » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:08 am

Visit www.airtimekite.com. There you'll find replacement baldders and instructions for almost any kite

bigbamboo
Medium Poster

Postby bigbamboo » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:01 pm

Thanks for the tips..I have used talc, and have removed and replaced it so many times that I am reluctant to again, although after a massage, if it doesn't doesn't straighten out, I may have to, and check the width, as I did only chec the length.

thebroz
Medium Poster

Postby thebroz » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:42 pm

Maybe you have already done this, if not it is key step in the process. Be sure you fold the baldder like an acordian, lay it flat & start the folds from the center inflate valve. Make the folds about the width of your hand. If your helper pulls very slowly from the wing tip as you feed it into the opening one fold at a time you will get it. Then do the same thing for the other side of the kite. I have heard of guys using a long push rod (PVC) taped to the end of the bladder to push instead of pulling. I can't imagine the bladder width is the issue, but let us know. Good luck!

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:48 pm

I have replaced a lot of one pump bladders and never seen this. I have to say "user error" on this one and I know replacing any bladders is a lot less fun than kiting, so I feel your pain.

You didn't say what kind of bladder you bought. Was this one from SS or airtime with the valves already installed? If not, it could have been the wrong size bladder as some suggested or you could have stuck the valves in the wrong location so that when the bladder inflates and straightens out, it pulls them inside.

If you think all of that matches your original factory bladder, then pay attention to the elbows of the kite when you put in the bladder. Instructions should have told you that but once the bladder is installed, stick your fingers in the elbow velcro holes and make sure you pull it back into the corner. May not cause your problem, but should prevent a blowout.

I actually don't use talc as long as everything is dry, but I know it is recommended. When you slide one side in at a time it should go in clean. Have someone else pull the line as you gently feed in the bladder and make sure it stays flat.

When you first inflate the kite after a replacement. Stop a couple times and give the LE a shake to make sure things are moving nicely (not bound up on any seams or corners).

Worse case, maybe you can have someone do this with you who has experience. They may find something simple that you are missing. Good luck!

Return to “Kitesurfing”