Forum for kitesurfers
jcbua
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Anyone kited in Cuba?

Postby jcbua » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:13 pm

Need the dirt. Where's the primo spots? How easy is it to get around the country? Have heard renting your own car and setting off isn't possible and you need to hire a car and driver which can bite into your budget. How's the choices for acccomadation around the kiting areas? Will check kitebeaches but first hand info is where it's at.
Any and all info greatly appreciated.

yosh
Medium Poster

Re: Anyone kited in Cuba?

Postby yosh » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:07 am

hey man i dont have a tun of info but.... i went 2 years ago in Dec. it blew every day!!! 12m average and 3 light wind days... i was in the coya coco area.... gettin around i did rent a scooter but that wasnt to get around and kite... it was to rip into town... there are lots of cabs around... just doing the all inclusive thing is easy thats what we did.... and cheep.... see if you can find some kinda wind arcive....thats all i got!!!

yomotha
Frequent Poster
Style: Whatever I feel like for the day
Gear: Core, Lift

Postby yomotha » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:40 am

I believe Varadero is the place to go for kiting. The East end of the point is where it's at I've been told.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=cuba+varad ... 4&t=h&z=11

Mulholland
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mulholland » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:50 am

Hey, fun!...Why don't you go rub your freedom and opportunity in the noses of the oppressed victims of the totalitarian dictator...Fun times...Perhaps you can teach some of Castro's slaves how to kite their way to freedom?

Enjoy yourself, the Cuban people won't be (unless of course they are communist party loyalists).

yomotha
Frequent Poster
Style: Whatever I feel like for the day
Gear: Core, Lift

Postby yomotha » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:33 am

Hmm, Mullholland is a bit of a knob. :baby:

As a side note if you go, the kite gear most of the locals have is pretty old or pretty beat up since they don't get any gear imported to them, but they will love you if you have an old kite that you are willing to "donate". Patches and repair materials would go over well with them too. I believe they're trying to (or have) start a school there, but they don't have a lot of equipment... or at least not much newer stuff. Somebody I know gave their kite to the locals and they were quite appreciative... you might get a bunch of cuban cigars out of the deal. :)

jcbua
Medium Poster

Postby jcbua » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:35 pm

Thanks for the info yomotha. Greatly appreciated. Will bring old gear for sure.

Naby
Medium Poster
Style: Learning
Gear: 10m EH / Freak Dog Vicious, 140x40Freak Dog Tracker

Postby Naby » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:54 am

jcbua wrote:Need the dirt. Where's the primo spots? How easy is it to get around the country? Have heard renting your own car and setting off isn't possible and you need to hire a car and driver which can bite into your budget. How's the choices for acccomadation around the kiting areas? Will check kitebeaches but first hand info is where it's at.
Any and all info greatly appreciated.
To go around locally, rent a scooter. You can rent a car if you want to go somewhere further. The cars are all recent european cars. It is quite expensive though (I paid $70 per day for a smallest car they had this summer) and driving is difficult because there are no road signs. It is easy t get lost. The alternative is to rent a "local" cab which. I found riding in a 1960s buick entertaining for a short distance.

Burness
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby Burness » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:40 pm

Here is a link to my buddy Charley's kite video from Cuba shot 2 or 3 year ago. http://www.youtube.com/user/kiteboardingNL

Brad
www.kiteboardingnewfoundland.com
Last edited by Burness on Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikewang
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Maui
Style: Pro n00b
Gear: Naish 6m/9m.

Postby mikewang » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:27 pm

The best place to ride in Varadero is "Marina palace" beach....it's the beach at the NE tip of the peninsula. You will get clean wind there. You will find 5-10 riders there on windy days no problem.

buzz2
Rare Poster

Postby buzz2 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:23 am

I stayed at the Melia in Cayo Guillermo last year in March.
I had 7 days out of 7 with on shore clean winds between 15-20 knots. An incredible week.

A nice place (not much waves). Only few kiters. A long 2 miles strech of not to deep water.

There are 3 all-inclusive hotels (Sol, Melia, Iberostar). Melia has most stars (but still Cuba). Launch spots are between each side of the hotels.

Nothing to do around these hotels. It's desert. You need to book excursion if you want to do something else.

You can rent a cab to go to the nicest beach in Cuba at the end of the island. It's called Playa Pilar. It's a desert paradise beach with turquoise water. It's among the TOP 5 beaches in the world. Google pictures on it, it's worth ed. Of course you can bring your kites.

Return to “Kitesurfing”