droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone, MHP
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Stolen Gear -- Thief Found, Police Do Nothing

Postby droffats » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:38 pm

It might be a good idea to write down the serial numbers of your gear -- boards and kites. A board was stolen from one of our local kiters and the Milwaukee Police Department refused to help because (among other things) the owner did not have solid proof the board was his (a serial number). The board was found for sale on Ebay a week or after it was stolen. I won the auction trying to get the board back, but the seller backed out, making up a really lame story about his grandfather not wanting to sell the board.

This is the info on the guy who was selling it, he may have been the thief or maybe he was just selling it for his thief friend:

Daniel McGrath
N15W30118 Timberbrook Road
Pewaukee, WI 53072-4874 United States

Although this is the info on Ebay:

User ID: mcgraw2222
Name:Daniel McGrath
Company:
City: Eau Claire
State: WI
Phone: (715) 864-6419

Item URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0280689669

eastcoastkite
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Gilgo NY/ Jockeys ridge OBX
Style: waves, freestyle, freeride
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse Kiteboarding www.eclipsekites.com

Re: Stolen Gear -- Thief Found, Police Do Nothing

Postby eastcoastkite » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:00 pm

tell me about it..... someone broke into my house last night and stole my apple laptop and two flat screen TV's, the police came and did nothing. SO now Im looking on ebay and craigs list...im just waiting for this nice person to connect to the internet on that laptop, then I can get the IP address log from skype and have the cops go to the house.

Your lucky since you have the guys address, I would go to the guys house and get back your gear, bring a friend and a bat.

mrlaroo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: A-Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: RRD,Best, Nobile
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby mrlaroo » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:19 pm

What a chaunce, that sh*t is way annoying. What about if you write your name on your stuff, they could easy sand it off on the board but with perment maker on the kite only option would be to scribble it out. The po po would, well I think that would solve it. At least they can recover stolen bikes that way with no serial number. Some shaddy stuff, good luck with to both you.

Erico
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: C-Street, Zeroes
Style: Freestyle
Gear: 6M & 10m OR Rise
12m Caution Zombie
15 Peter Lynn Charger, 19m Venom2
Underground 128, 154
Xenon Laluz 132
SUP, skim

Postby Erico » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:29 am

eastcoastkite wrote:Your lucky since you have the guys address, I would go to the guys house and get back your gear, bring a friend and a bat.

As the story got passed down the Milwaukee line to me, this is essentially how you got the board back right? well done.

~ Eric

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, NP Surf, Liquid Force, Ozone, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:53 am

man...that sucks to no end. staff...where and when? any scum who does this kind of crap should be taken care of properly. you know...we all just keep our gear sitting around and it can be tempting. makes me think twice going forward.

chris...that's unreal dude. how did the thief get in? broke in? i'm looking at my macbook pro right now for the serial number and will probably etch my name in it under the battery.

with the economy going all to hell...i'll guarantee that crimes of all kinds will be on the rise.

bob

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone, MHP
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:47 am

I sold the board to the guy it got stolen from. It was in his underground parking space drying out overnight. Apparently, a shared space in the apartment building. Anyway, 7 days or so later, boop, there it is on Ebay. The seller is 20 miles away and describes it sort of as a wakeboard with a bunch of BS about his "grandfather just wants to drive the boat" and "he taught me well." So, while MPD does dick about it, I bid on it, and win the auction on a just in case MPD does dick about it basis. I go to set up an in person sale with the seller and at the last minute, literally, he backs out and says his "grandfather doesn't want to sell it anymore."

As much as I'd love to deal with this prick, and as much of wanker I can be, I leave my violence at the hockey rink. I know cops have a thankless job etc, but damn, this is just lazy on their part. They could just call and press the kid a little bit. (from the wording of his emails, I'm convinced Daniel McGrath is at most, a young man if not a teenager living at his parents house)

-Droffats

20 m or bust
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Dalrock, Ray Roberts
Favorite Beaches: Mustang Island, Stink Beach
Style: Free ride
Gear: Waroos
Stretch board

Postby 20 m or bust » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:53 am

I just wrote my name and number under the foot beds of my boards and put a piece of plastic with the same information in the tip of my leading edge bladder of my kites. At least this way my stuff is marked, but noone knows....

mv
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mv » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:43 am

20 m or bust wrote:I just wrote my name and number under the foot beds of my boards and put a piece of plastic with the same information in the tip of my leading edge bladder of my kites. At least this way my stuff is marked, but noone knows....

No one except everyone that reads this forum and all of their friends. If you do not think there are bad people on this forum gathering info there you are in dream land.

Here is a hint. If you want to keep something a secret, do not tell anyone :wink:

mv
http://www.kitesurfinfo.com

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, NP Surf, Liquid Force, Ozone, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:28 pm

i have an idea...why don't we give daniel free winter kiting lessons. i have the perfect 25m c kite that works great in 30+ winds. you know...we just hold on to him and let go.

this just sucks to no end.

bob

Return to “Kitesurfing”